General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

buying a vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the only reason we are living with my parents is because IM paying for our(me,fiance,&daughter) house a new roof due to bad weather. so my priorities are in good order i think. and yes for the slow ones that means we OWN not rent/finance/lease..OWN our own house. my fiance is a pharmacist technician & she is deaf, so if she loses her job then she will go back to getting her SSI disabled check which she lived on with a car note, car insurance, cell phone, personal bank loan, & rent. so we have the means guys i dont know why yall cant understand that.

so to make this clear, we are living with my parents until the roof is fixed, i make enough & know my job is here, & my fiance makes enough with her pharmacist job & even if she loses it her SSI will kick back in & we can still maintain until she gets another job.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want it get it. All you do is walk up to the dealership, work out a deal, then say, I want to finance it. If you get approved you get a car, if you don't, you don't. It happens all the time. Dealers don't care. If you don't buy the car someone else will.

You could also go to your bank and same deal. Walk in, ask to talk to a loan officer and tell them what you want. They will go, ask for info and say yes or no. They are used to it, there are lots of first time loan people out there. Don't worry about it. IF you know you can afford it then go get it. Everyone here thinks differently. Forget them or listen to them, you have to decide. People told me I was stupid for buying a z06 when I was 26, but I knew I could afford it so who cares. I love that car, so much fun to drive.

Point is you know what you can and can't afford, if you know you can afford 800 a month, then go to the bank, or if not then get online. There are TONS of calculators out there to tell you what you can borrow, what the payment will be etc. Or if your still scared go to lendingtree. They do it all online. It's how I got my frist loan for my car. Never even went to a bank. then after I knew about it and what not I started going to banks/credit unions. Just make sure that if you pay your car off early they don't give you a penalty, and also make sure you can pay it off early and not have to pay the entire note off, just my 2 cents!

Good luck what ever you do!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:40 PM

My only response is....if you have the means, you don't need financing. People with "means" don't need financing. They use credit only as a tool when it is most advantagous to them. Do you know when that is? It's when you can borrow at a lower rate than you can save/make.

And if you have the means, you don't need to come to ask for advice, you can either pay cash, or go and get 0% or the lowest possible rate at the dealer and not have to ask for advice.

Congrats on owning your own home...I own my own home too. I know just like your finding out that homes need work all the time. Save money....

I know your business isn't going anywhere, but you think your business is invincible? No one's is. Any day now, your state can come and say oh, well your not doing this right, or this right, here's your fine 150k, have a nice day! Fire marshalls can shut you down in 15 minutes. Hows that vette payment gonna look then?

Don't buy it when you THINK you can afford it, buy it when you KNOW you can afford it

Don't finance your future away. This downturn was caused by people not thinking worst case or ahead.

Said it before say it again, MAKE interest, don't PAY interest
Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
You live at home with your parents, fiance and your three year old daughter.....How can you even think of buying a vett, you should be living on your OWN and paying your OWN way in life before you think about spending 30k on any type of vehicle. Even when you are on your own your daughter's needs come first and they are not met by you spending money on yourself.
LOL
Old 11-02-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I'm right there with ya. I didn't finance a 30k vette but I did a 10K TA and a 18.5k Truck. Dad cosigned for both and people were more then happy to give me the money. If you got the money and you feel comfortable spending it and not putting yourself in a bind then go get it. Its the age factor on here that I think gets some guys. Shoot I turn 20 in Dec. I got a good job and am ahead on all my payments. I however don't have a daughter to take care of. If you can do it then go for it.

Just a thought. Why not get a LS1 C5 vette for half that and mod the hell out of it?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by araber89
Ya I'm right there with ya. I didn't finance a 30k vette but I did a 10K TA and a 18.5k Truck. Dad cosigned for both and people were more then happy to give me the money. If you got the money and you feel comfortable spending it and not putting yourself in a bind then go get it. Its the age factor on here that I think gets some guys. Shoot I turn 20 in Dec. I got a good job and am ahead on all my payments. I however don't have a daughter to take care of. If you can do it then go for it.

Just a thought. Why not get a LS1 C5 vette for half that and mod the hell out of it?
yeah i think thats what it is, my age. but i dont see why, i figured the guys would be more supportive instead of negative but oh well. and i can take care of my daughter & have enough for a Vette, if i couldnt take care of her i wouldnt even be thinking about a vehicle.

well i just like the look of the C6 vettes better thats the only reason really.

but thanks for the kind words man.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 406malibu
I wouldn't ask you any questions if you don't know the displacement of those two engines... LS2 is a 364, and the LS3 is a 376. the ls2 can be stroked to a 402 and the ls3 can be stroked to a 418.
my bad....im soo used to a couple guys out here with these motors i got to thinkin it was the norm. 2 have the 402 and 3 with 418. geeez slow moment on my part
Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

BTW dont let age discourage you. I was 19 when i had my camaro and i bought my ZO6 at age 22....**** what everyone else says. If you can afford it w/o nickle and diming for food and rent, go for it.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SStheBest
BTW dont let age discourage you. I was 19 when i had my camaro and i bought my ZO6 at age 22....**** what everyone else says. If you can afford it w/o nickle and diming for food and rent, go for it.
haha i like how you put that in words man haha. thanks i appreciate it.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Heh if you were closer I'd make you a hellofa deal on fixing your roof of your house...!!! Then maybe I could fix up my Fbodys!! lol
Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

i work at a dealership and all i can say is that if the banks or credit unions will lend you the money in these economic times then you must really be "well off" and i say go for it. I see it everyday man, im in sales and the credit market it TIGHT right now. good luck whatever you do
Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by baalic
Heh if you were closer I'd make you a hellofa deal on fixing your roof of your house...!!! Then maybe I could fix up my Fbodys!! lol
haha. do you fix roofs or have you done roofing work? if so i need some advice.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coonass350
haha. do you fix roofs or have you done roofing work? if so i need some advice.
I'm a carpenter that has basically done everything under the sun including fixing roofs what do you need advice with??
Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Old 11-03-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shan15
have you priced a brand new double wide...upwards of 150-180k for a nice one........then the land.....and in some neighborhoods in cali they are over 1 million........

so that picture is quite misleading, those trailers don't look run down....lol he could just live in cali!!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shan15
wanna bet everything in that picture is paid for.......

and is that a boat in the back?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FST SS
wanna bet everything in that picture is paid for.......

and is that a boat in the back?
haha yeah i bet all that stuff is paid for. and yes double wides are not cheap my aunt & uncle have one, it is nice! and they paid $120k for theirs.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Hey man, I love toys too. Actually, my real weakness is fishing trips to Central America. But here's my point: I max out my 401k every year. The less you have financed the better off you are. Ideally, in this economy you should have about 6 months worth of cash stashed in an emergency fund. If I had a young daughter I would be stashing cash into a college fund also.

No one that I have read is necessarily bashing you. Just guys that have gotten into financial holes over the years and had to dig themselves out. The ride down the hole is fun. The digging sucks. The banks and finance companies can throw dirt back on you faster than you can dig. Believe me!

Take care of your family first. Business second and toys somewhere down the line.

Think it through and good luck with your decision!