General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Gonna need a car cover soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna need a car cover soon

Hey guys, in about a week or so I'm gonna be buying a 98 Z28 (first LS1/v8/manual car ) Anyway, when I head back to school the guy's place I'm gonna keep it has a bunch of trees around it, and one of the conditions for keeping it there was that it would have a car cover. He doesn't want to be liable for damage from things like pinecones, nuts, and small branches coming off the trees. So, I'm gonna need to buy a car cover.

One catch. The car cover has to fit the Camaro as well as my 06 Grand Prix. You guys have any suggestions on a car cover that'll fit both cars and won't screw up the paint?

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Check the sizes on the car cover boxes in the auto parts stores. You might luck out and find that the same cover will fit both cars. Depending on how much money you have to spend a car port might not be a bad idea instead of just a cover...the guy must allow you to put one up obviously. I am not very impressed with my mid-level pep-boys brand cover for outside storage of my 87 Monte SS. For the first month it kept everything nice and dry and then started to allow water in, not a huge deal but I wanted it to keep the car dry. UV is most likely the reason why the cover became less hydrophobic and began to absorb water. It is also a good idea to cover clean cars as the dirt on the car under the cover can lead to scratches in the paint due to the cover moving with the wind.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
Check the sizes on the car cover boxes in the auto parts stores. You might luck out and find that the same cover will fit both cars. Depending on how much money you have to spend a car port might not be a bad idea instead of just a cover...the guy must allow you to put one up obviously. I am not very impressed with my mid-level pep-boys brand cover for outside storage of my 87 Monte SS. For the first month it kept everything nice and dry and then started to allow water in, not a huge deal but I wanted it to keep the car dry. UV is most likely the reason why the cover became less hydrophobic and began to absorb water. It is also a good idea to cover clean cars as the dirt on the car under the cover can lead to scratches in the paint due to the cover moving with the wind.
A carport would be great, but that's sadly not an option. It's his property, not mine. Hell, all I asked the guy was if he'd allow me to keep the car on the property. I'm damn near indebted to the guy just for allowing me to do that (not actual $$, but I feel like I owe him big time, wouldn't have be able to buy the car otherwise). I'm just gonna stick with a car cover for now.

As per the box sizes. Is there any specific brand to keep in mind? I don't want to buy a cheapo cover and then have it ruin the paint on either car.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Search california car covers and coverking. Both nice but not the cheapest but you get what you pay for....
Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

Go to wal-mart/autozone/vip/napa. Get car cover size 3 (was the size when I bought mine) Look for these key things 100% water proof, 100% UV protection, 100% Dust proof. Or they'll have a star system. Don't be cheap; Get for the best one.

I got a cheap one the first time, ($20 bucks) it was "water resistant" and gave "partial UV protection" and only "kinda keeps dust off". After it rained the first time with the cover on. The car was wet all underneath the cover so I went out and spent 75 dollars on a new cover and its perfect. Keeps it dry, clean, and doesn't scratch the car.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.carcoverusa.com/Budge-Car-Covers.html

I use the 'Shield Car cover'. I like mine cause it blocks just about everything you throw on it. Camaro's/Firebird's are a size 3 for when you buy one.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Is there any issue going with say a size larger and using it on both cars? F-bodies are by no means small, but my GP is a large freaking car when you put them beside each other.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firebirdfan
Is there any issue going with say a size larger and using it on both cars? F-bodies are by no means small, but my GP is a large freaking car when you put them beside each other.
Grand Prix?

According to the back of the box, the 63-77 Grand Prix's are a size 4. All the other ones(later models) are size 3.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I like Cover Craft products. Been using them for well over 10 years. I currently only have their indoor covers, but I used their outdoor ones back in the late '90s when I didn't have a garage.

Originally Posted by Firebirdfan
Just make sure that the cover is securely on the car, if it's too big and blows around a lot in the wind you might get some minor paint damage.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

+1 on the shield cover

Quick Reply: Gonna need a car cover soon