General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stupid Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why #7 wouldn't work. I think you would have to change the firing order and stuff up though.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
I remember trying to push start my engine one time when my alternator was out, and the engine turned when I engaged the clutch in 2nd, but it wouldn't start. This happened again when my battery died, but the alternator was good that time. Maybe I wasn't rolling fast enough. The fireless engine was slowing the car down with each compression.
Maybe you didn't have the key in the on position, so you had no fuel or spark once you dropped the clutch?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2001bluerata
Maybe you didn't have the key in the on position, so you had no fuel or spark once you dropped the clutch?
I was pretty sure I had it in the on position, but considering the lack of other possibilities, I suppose this has to be the explanation. I called Allstate roadside assistance, got a jump and within 20 minutes of driving, the battery was fully charged. Actually, he charge needle was higher than normal with the engine off. It was just under the 13 mark (center).

What's the recommended rolling speed before engaging the clutch for a push start in 2nd? I was rolling at around 10 mph.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think 10 mph would get the job done, but a little more speed would help keep the tires rolling once the clutch is disengaged.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Teching In

crimsonnaire - not to sound like a dick, but do you lay awake at night thinking this **** up?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TAtoad
if you're going to jump start a car, do it in 1st. 2nd will take more speed to match up the revolutions as compared to 1st
If the battery is completely dead the car will never start because the fuel pump will not prime.. Unless its a carburetor. If the battery has some juice head lights work/ radio just not enough to turn the starter then it will start. But your right 1st is your best bet!!
Old 11-21-2009, 12:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
If your doing 40 or something and put the car in reverse, it just shuts the car down, but keeps rolling forward it doesnt go in reverse and you can throw it back in N and start it up.
This is true just don't ask me how I know
Old 11-29-2009, 05:51 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you all for providing extra confirmation on some of the points.

Here are a few more questions I'd like to hear your answers to:

8. Your exhaust pipes are stuffed and completely blocked and you start the engine?
9. You go up to 155 mph in 6th gear and shift to first at that same speed?
10. Why haven't I seen any convertibles at the drag strip?

Last edited by Crimsonnaire; 11-29-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:18 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

8: If the tailpipe is completely blocked, the car will not start. You might get lucky and get it to run for a second, but it won't stay running with a plugged tailpipe. Think of the engine as a large air pump. The air it draws in must have a place to escape. Otherwise, it can't pump.

10: Maybe there isn't anyone in your area interested in racing their convertible (if anyone in your area even has one). Convertibles are heavier do to the extra support required to offset the lack of a solid roof structure. Also, they require safety equipment at elapsed times sooner than their solid-roofed counterparts. For example, a "street legal" convertible racer must wear a helmet regardless of the elapsed times they are running. Hardtops/t-topped racers are not required to wear a helmet unless their car is running faster than 13.99 in the 1/4. Convertibles require a rollbar/rollcage at elasped times sooner than the hardtops/t-topped cars.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

These are crazy scenarios that I would never do, but I just can't help wonder.

1. Say you're cruising on the road, what would happen if you turned the key to the off position? Would the engine shut off with an auto transmission? If so, would a manual counterpart continue to run if the clutch is engaged since the wheels are still spinning?

2. You're cruising at about 40 mph with an automatic transmission and nagging significant other makes you accidently shift into Reverse? Or is the shifter blocked from going into Reverse while you're rolling forward like a manual transmission?

3. In a middle of a burnout, you engage the handbrake?

Any input is welcome. If you have some questions of your own, feel free to post them as well.
1. You can't turn the key to the "OFF" position unless you are in neutral or park in an automatic transmission. And if you shift to neutral and turn the motor off while moving, you won't be able to shift the transmission back into gear unless the key is in the "ON" position. I wouldn't recommend trying this.

In a manual transmission turning the key off while moving in gear does nothing other than turn off your electronics. If you turn your key back to on your car will continue running normally, it's like a push start. In neutral the motor will shut off completely, but if you're still rolling you can carefully engage the clutch in the appropriate gear for your speed and push start the car again easily.

2. You can't shift into reverse while moving at any significant speed, there are safety measures like you said. Well...I guess that depends on the trans, but in stock form, it won't go.

3. Unless you have a badass super-handbrake probably not much would happen. You would easily power through your handbrake.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Thank you all for providing extra confirmation on some of the points.

Here are a few more questions I'd like to hear your answers to:

8. Your exhaust pipes are stuffed and completely blocked and you start the engine?
9. You go up to 155 mph in 6th gear and shift to first at that same speed?
10. Why haven't I seen any convertibles at the drag strip?
8. Somethings gotta give. Either the engine will simply stall, or something is going to blow up to release the pressure.

9. You will severely over-rev your motor and more than likely throw a rod or something.

10. Because you haven't been looking hard enough or nobody near you owns a quick convertible. They're out there.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:35 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess the real question we should all be asking ourselves is why are we answering these questions?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the detailed answers.

Actually, the latter two questions stemmed from when someone I knew gave me a ride in a convertible Trans Am. He was explaining that he was having trouble downshifting and was determined to provide an example on the relatively empty highway, and on the third attempt, he successfully downshifted to third from fifth at above 55 mph. I'm not sure exactly how fast we were rolling, but when he engaged into third, the RPM went high enough to pop the rear end off the ground. This was a supercharged LS1 giving above 500 hp and around 400 hp without the charger. He never took his vert to the drag strip and I never bothered to ask about it.

11. What does the 'Z' in Z28 and Z06 stand for?
12. What does the 'WS' in WS6/9 and the 'WU' in WU6 stand for?
13. What does the 'LS' in LSX and the 'LT' in LT1 stand for?
14. What does the 'ZR' in ZR1 stand for?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ZR1 - Zora's Racers (see Zora Arkus-Duntov
Old 11-30-2009, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

13. What does the 'LS' in LSX and the 'LT' in LT1 stand for?
Lickety Split...and Limited Time (in operation), respectively.

Kidding...no real answer for ya.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

I thought they were just arbitrary codes picked by GM without any real intent or deeper meaning?