General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
There is no best company for every car and driver with respect to premium or underwriting guidelines. I sell insurance for a major carrier and am insured with my employer for convenience and the employee discount. A few very general points to keep in mind:
Do not mention to your agent or claims adjuster that the car has been modified for speed or that you ever race it. In their minds (if not in reality) this represents increased risk, even though losses resulting from a racing situation are not covered anyway.
In a claim, your carrier will not compensate you for losses to your American Racing stainless headers, AFR cylinder heads, Yank converter, etc. You may be able to add custom equipment coverage of a stated amount to cover aftermarket wheels and stereo equipment but that's about it.
You may be able to get a stated value policy (as opposed to fair market value in your particular area at the time of the loss), but that kind of thing is usually designed to cover older, somewhat valuable classics. The vast majority of cars on this site really don't meet that description. My dad has his Grand National on a stated value policy with Hagerty.

Good advise, I'm an underwriting manager for a major ins. company and I could not have explained this any better.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
In a claim, your carrier will not compensate you for losses to your American Racing stainless headers, AFR cylinder heads, Yank converter, etc. You may be able to add custom equipment coverage of a stated amount to cover aftermarket wheels and stereo equipment but that's about it.
Grundy covers atleast some performance parts. I know of a member of here that had his car roll off his car trailer and then off a wall in his yard. They paid for his mufflex exhaust , procharger charge tubes and a bunch of his other aftermarket parts. He showed the adjuster what he had and the prices and they replaced what he had.
That gave me reason to want Grundy.
Here is alink to his thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...l#post11441659

Last edited by 2002_z28_m6; 11-30-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Geico FTL.... Geico is worthless when it comes to claims.. they use CCC to make a guess on the value of your car. They do this by finding the most junked out cheapest cars that "match" your car and they will give you the money based on the "average" of these cheap busted *** cars not taking into consideration mileage, condition, or even if its a salvaged title or not...... They see "2002 z28" and they could care less if its a roller that sold or the full car.......

FACT as I have been dealing with this piece of crap company... and basically doing all the legwork myself. I have heard nothing but good stuff from State Farm, so when this policy is up that is where I will be going myself.... Sorry for the semi Hijack but, I wouldn't go geico....
Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_z28_m6
Grundy covers atleast some performance parts. I know of a member of here that had his car roll off his car trailer and then off a wall in his yard. They paid for his mufflex exhaust , procharger charge tubes and a bunch of his other aftermarket parts. He showed the adjuster what he had and the prices and they replaced what he had.
That gave me reason to want Grundy.
Here is alink to his thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...l#post11441659

This is an excellent example of how Grundy works, and why I'm happy with them as well (really sucks what happened to that memeber's car though).

Point being, you don't need to have an antique/classic car to get collectors insurance. There are plenty of cars that meet Grundy or Hagerty criteria that are still late model vehicles. They just can't be a DD and must be garage kept when not in use. And modifications can and will be covered so long as they're within your stated value. Just make sure you declare a stated value that actually covers your total investiment.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Get a v6, its the cheapest lol
Old 12-02-2009, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Progressive -- full coverage at a whopping 120/mo on my 'bone stock' 2000 SS at age 23

Last edited by GothMetalForever; 12-02-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: forgot age