General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Methanol injection

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methanol injection

Has anyone ever heard of some one using a methanol injection setup on a NA motor? I guess if its supposed to "increase the octane" I dont see why it would hurt. I know its been used on high compression NA motors, but what about something like 10:1?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really see the point...
Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Teching In

There is an optimal timing for all engines. For example some Mercedes engines can advance to ridiculous timing advances like 30+ degrees without detonation. However, they do not make additional power above say... 28*. The deal with boosted engine is with the higher density air and added heat they are limited to relatively low timing degrees because of heavy detonation. Consequently they benefit greatly from the added detonation resistance of high octane methanol (and great cooling properties).

so in conclusion, unless your running into heavy detonation that limits your timing greatly below optimal methanol will not bring you great gains per cost.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greased05
There is an optimal timing for all engines. For example some Mercedes engines can advance to ridiculous timing advances like 30+ degrees without detonation. However, they do not make additional power above say... 28*. The deal with boosted engine is with the higher density air and added heat they are limited to relatively low timing degrees because of heavy detonation. Consequently they benefit greatly from the added detonation resistance of high octane methanol (and great cooling properties).

so in conclusion, unless your running into heavy detonation that limits your timing greatly below optimal methanol will not bring you great gains per cost.

so all in all its a waste of time and money
thanks for the input