General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ss vs. z28 whats the diff

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ss vs. z28 whats the diff

I havent bought one yet, but i will soon, i freakin love em, im picking up all i can on em. What i was wondering was what exactly is the difference between the camaro ss and the z28, and the the same for the ta and the ws6, obviously besides the hoods, they are rated a few extra hp from the factory, wheres that come from and are they faster?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any LS1 that comes directly from GM has exactly 350 bhp, no matter what car it goes into. The only difference between a Z28 and an SS is the badges, hood, wheels, and spoiler. and price, of course. The only reaon i could think of an SS being quicker is because of the higher drive ratio. If i'm not mistaken, i think all Z28's came with 2.73's or 3.23's, SS's came with 3.42's.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Unless that hood just gives you a raging boner, don't factor Z28 or SS into your decision to buy a camaro. They are virtually the same, though you will likely find a Z for less money.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly if you want an SS, get an SS. Don't just settle with a Z28, you will be much happier. I am glad I looked around for my WS6..
I just settled with getting a car with my 70 GTO and 94 Camaro, hated the POS's..
I waited until I found exactly what I wanted for both of my Trans Am's and love the cars to death.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Indeed there are only minor diffs hood spoiler etc. The value is the real diff. If you were to finance either its much easier with a decently priced SS over the z.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Please read the FAQ stickies in the New LS1 Owners section. They will explain the minor differences between the trim levels.

Basically, the cars all perform the same, it's mostly a matter of cosmetics. Since there is no performance difference for an SS or WS6 over the base V8 models, there is really no reason to pay more for it unless you're just in love with the hoods.

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Honestly if you want an SS, get an SS. Don't just settle with a Z28, you will be much happier.
I disagree with this though. I say buy the nicest V8 model you can find for the money you want to spend, don't waste cash paying for a "true" SS or WS6 (because unless you plan to make this a show car and keep it 30 years, it'll never go up in value during your ownership anyway), and buy the hood/spoiler after the fact if you really like that look.

I'd rather buy a mint Z28 for the same price (or less) than a less mint SS. Hoods can always be changed if you desire. You can pick up factory SS hoods on this site for $500-700, and sometimes you'll even get lucky enough to find one painted your color.

Originally Posted by Peeler12
Indeed there are only minor diffs hood spoiler etc. The value is the real diff. If you were to finance either its much easier with a decently priced SS over the z.
If you can finance one, you'll be able to finance the other. The newest one is nearly 8 years old now, that's going to be the only real challenge for a loan if your credit isn't good.