General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Making a decision here..

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

I know..If this one was clean then it would've been different.

Originally Posted by bene
You'll find another good deal Merv.
Good price..yes..car was sharp, but the Salvage Title kills it.

I'll find me one with a blown Engine and stick the 408 in there..
Old 12-23-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Im ******* with themerv. He's a good guy and a true gearhead. He pointed me in the right direction with a recently t-56 rebuild I got stuck doing. It came out wrong
Old 12-23-2009, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

I'm cool..I still got my Z and I'm about to go and soon be back from the Desert with some good Mod Money..I'll be paying my Truck off completely so I'll own both..life is good..
Old 12-23-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Homework always pays off. That way your thinking with your brain instead of your heart. It sucks to get involved with a deal that falls through, but there will be another. It will be a buyers market for a while yet.

I'm jealous as hell that your looking at a Z06. You'll get one, but I won't.

Have a good tour and happy hunting for that hot Corvette.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I'm jealous as hell that your looking at a Z06. You'll get one, but I won't.
Why do you say that?

Good things come in time..I'm 26 and in a great position to buy one..I'll be getting one in the next couple of years without a doubt. I'm interested to see what's out there forsale when I come back in may with some nice money to put down on one..
Old 12-23-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Why do you say that?
Although I would love a Z06, there are too many factors conspiring to prevent it.

The top two:

1) Shortage of disposable cash.
2) I'm 42 and speed scares me now.

Last edited by eseibel67; 12-23-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I'm 42 and speed scares me now.
Lol..take a ride with me, I'll help you break that one..or go into Cardiac Arrest..
Old 12-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like what you have I say come back with that mod money and paint and some other stuff and it's way cooler than a vette!! daniel
Old 12-23-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Just get it. You dont need to drive it, Its gonna have a brand new engine. Its gonna run perfect. Any any other flaw that these sissys are/would be looking for during a test drive can be fixed or dealt with. I wish people would stop acting like most used cars dont have issues bc they do. Plain and simple. And you should have no problem dealing with anything that may come up later on down the road of owning the car. Me personally, I look at the new motor as a big plus of buying the car. I guess I'm a kind of glass is half full type of person.
So am I, when doing my own work.

Getting a new engine is cool, but when you leave 100 percent of it in the hands of someone else, it's all on chance if they do it the "right" way or not.

Clearly you haven't run into a scenario like this or know someone who has, because I sure know tons of people who have learned the hard way.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
So am I, when doing my own work.

Getting a new engine is cool, but when you leave 100 percent of it in the hands of someone else, it's all on chance if they do it the "right" way or not.

Clearly you haven't run into a scenario like this or know someone who has, because I sure know tons of people who have learned the hard way.
My car hasnt seen a mechanic in 14 years (since my first year with a car). I fix anything that breaks. Im the guy that fixes other peoples car when its over their head and mine. The difference is I learn. I have rebuilt a bunch of buddy's rear ends and done gear installs for free. Never charge my friends one dollar. I recently rebuilt a t-56 bc somebody installed it with no pilot bearing. I recently taught myself the correct way to set-up valvetrain components with the pointers from Shane at TR. I have welded exhausts for half a dozen guys here in town. What Im trying to say is that if I dont know how to fix it I learn. Themerv does the same thing. Anything they screw up, he is capable of fixing.

And this is just a R+R right? its a crate engine right? How hard is that to screw up really?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

My car hasnt seen a mechanic in 14 years (since my first year with a car). I fix anything that breaks. Im the guy that fixes other peoples car when its over their head and mine. The difference is I learn. I have rebuilt a bunch of buddy's rear ends and done gear installs for free. Never charge my friends one dollar. I recently rebuilt a t-56 bc somebody installed it with no pilot bearing. I recently taught myself the correct way to set-up valvetrain components with the pointers from Shane at TR. I have welded exhausts for half a dozen guys here in town. What Im trying to say is that if I dont know how to fix it I learn. Themerv does the same thing. Anything they screw up, he is capable of fixing.

And this is just a R+R right? its a crate engine right? How hard is that to screw up really?
This has nothing do with why it's a bad idea to buy a car that isn't running or driving. You have no idea what kind of deal you're really getting if you don't test drive a car. Any used car is a gamble, but it's exponentially more risky to buy one you haven't driven, on top of the fact it's currently at a dealer for major surgery. So the plan was, he gets a new engine, but who knows what else might need work on a flooded car. And who cares if he can do the work himself, you still have to account for buying parts and taking the time to diagnose and fix it. Personally, I do most of my own work too, but I feel that my time is worth something.

I've owned 17 cars, and test driven probably 30-40 more, I'm here to tell you that you can learn a lot about a car on the test drive if you know what you're looking for. Losing the ability to take a test drive really puts you in the dark. And this car hasn't been running since the motor locked up, no telling what else was damaged.

Point being, the car has to be a steal to be worth the gamble, and as it turns out it wasn't such a steal after all with the salvage title, and he's walking away which is the best thing to do.

Telling the guy that the car will run perfect and be just fine isn't helping him any. There is no way that you or anyone else could possibily know that.

And calling everyone else a sissy or ***** because we're cautious with our money just makes you look irresponsible.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

So the plan was, he gets a new engine, but who knows what else might need work on a flooded car.
That wasnt stated up front, or it would have effected my opinion. I dont like the idea of flood cars bc of electrical gremlins that may show later. He said the motor was hydrolocked, never that it was in a flood. Those are two different things.

And calling everyone else a sissy or ***** because we're cautious with our money just makes you look irresponsible.
I already addressed this in a previous post, I admitted it came out wrong and I edited my post. At what point is it still necessary to keep bringing it up. Its like dealing with my old lady here
Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I already addressed this in a previous post, I admitted it came out wrong and I edited my post. At what point is it still necessary to keep bringing it up. Its like dealing with my old lady here
I must've missed the part where people kept bringing this up.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why doesnt anyone address the fact that this is a crate engine? and a dealership is very competent to do a R+R on a complete engine. And he has friends at the dealership that over "overseeing" this. Im sorry it just doesnt seem to be that big of a deal, however, I would understand passing on this deal bc of the enlightenment of it being a flood car. Good luck merv, come home safe
Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Why doesnt anyone address the fact that this is a crate engine? and a dealership is very competent to do a R+R on a complete engine. And he has friends at the dealership that over "overseeing" this.
Well, now that he knows it's a salvage title and doesn't want it, I guess it doesn't even matter.

But either way, it's about more than just the motor. No telling what else might have been damaged by that much water. Or not even the water, the car might have needed a bunch of other work before the motor went. There's no way to know until it's back up and running.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

K guy's I'll clear up some details here..kinda no need to since I'm not interested in it but they are still facts.

Car: being worked on at the Dealership..went through a really bad rainstorm and that hydrofucked the stock engine..broke a rod and took out a sleeve.

Engine to be built:
LS6 Block with the new needed Sleeves
Stock Crank, Stock Rods, Mahle .010-over Pistons
Balanced, new Bearings, Short Block being assembled at local Machine Shop
Stock Heads were to be bolted onto it with new MLS Head Gaskets

This was pretty much what was going on with this car..balanced, Forged-Piston 348 LS6 with a Cam.

It would've been a nice Engine but one of the major factors to me is that I would want to be the one breaking it in..that thought stayed in my mind.

But **** happens for a reason so I'm not worried about this..

My plan is to get back from the Desert, find a clean '02-'04 Z06, talk the owner down to the $18k-$20k area, get a loan for $15k from my Credit Union, put the rest on it in Cash..and have me a Vette. I'll prefer it to be stock, then when something goes to **** I'll build it up.

Then once I get the Vette I'll part out the Z28..put that money into paying off the Vette..

Last edited by the_merv; 12-23-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, here's my input on the deal merv. I worked at this dealership for quite a while and as a matter of fact I use to be the vette mechanic there. The guy doing all the repairs knows what he's doing because I taught him every thing he knows about those cars. I've had thanksgiving dinner with the service manager and did all the work on his personal cars up to the day I quit. Having the work done, I'll check in on it, drive it when its done, and lock it up for you is not an issue. The car having a salvage title is. If there was written proof from the previous owner that a water injested engine was in fact the reason its salvaged I'd give it a good look over and if its worth 14k then so be it. You also didn't mention to these guys that the LS6 is going back together with a comp cam, springs, rockers, long tube headers, orx pipe, and an LS7 clutch. Like I told you when you called me. The car will be done right and you got my word on that because I'll go drive it myself when its done. I'll lock it up for you and I'll be more than happy to go by and see progress while your away. The deal is up to and yes, there will be others but don't let a piece of paper keep you from having a bad *** car that you know will be done correctly...
Old 12-23-2009, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

The car won't be going together with the Headers and the Clutch Kit unless I bought it..regardless of that aspect that little piece of paper that says Salvage is a big deal..

Ya those guys are good guys Chris, but as far as the bank and insurance is concerned the car is a piece..

I'll find a good one when I get back.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't blame you. Just be ready for my new Trans Am to whip some Z28 *** when you get back from the dessert.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Ok..lol.. I'll let you get a piece of my Z after I drag your *** in my Truck..

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
when you get back from the dessert.
ORLY..

Last edited by the_merv; 12-23-2009 at 09:15 PM.