General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying (X-Car) To Save My F-Body Argument

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:37 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you're worried that if you DD the F body it'll start to break down. Now, these cars don't have the most stellar quality or reliability in the world, but they're not as bad as others would have you believe either. I say drive it, if your only concern is that your F car will start to have problems-your car should be fine. Are there any guarantees? Of course not, but there're a bunch of us on this board that DD their cars and we're doing alright...
Old 01-02-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
Again half of my post qouted to make me look like an half an ***. Thank you sir. Qoute the whole thing next time if you can to make me look like a complete ***

All I wanted was the gaps to be filled in. Is it the swearing? Are we not all men here?

Fine; my bad..
Originally Posted by Finkledbody
Umm. Is it bs or not? You still haven't answered, I'm trying to help but theres still this misunderstanding whether or not you acutally own that bonneville. If you do own it; drive the **** of of that for your d/d and keep the miles off your t/a. If you don't own the bonneville. Update your sig (You don't have to if you don't want to) but it is leading people into a false sense of understanding. Like I said the first ******* time. I want to help, I gave lots of good info from direct ******* experience. You seem to be stuck on just the bonneville part. Read through the rest of my post if you get a chance.

But again. Buy another car and keep the miles of your T/A, Its a beautiful car and deserves to be driving for fun. Not to get to and from work. Miles on a car serverely decreases the value. Expecially now that no one wants these 4th gen f-body's for right now. Ya know. Since the 5th gens came out.

I only own both 6 banger and 8 banger f-bodys. WTF do I know?
You edited the post dumb ***, you didn't have that in there the first time I posted. Is your comprehension not up to par or something? I quoted that because thats all I wanted to talk about, I had already talked about the rest of it. What is so hard for you to catch onto?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by xchaosx
I say get another, get a truck every guy needs a sports car and a truck, thats how i feel. Dont have to worry bout it gettin messy and your car is always cleaned up and ready to go whenever you are. Thats what i do, of course im a brickmason and get a little muddy and filthy at work, its nice to come home clean up and jump in the clean car and haul ***
Fbodys are not sports cars, they are muscle cars. Big, big difference between the two.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Fbodys are not sports cars, they are muscle cars. Big, big difference between the two.
damn. really gettin technical here- just sayin its nice to have a truck and a fast car- sports or muscle
Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all else fails, a GTP can be a good DD and still give you the power you want.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

INBSSTGTFYM!!

(In before someone says they're going to **** your mom, lol)
Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

wow! people sometimes get a little too offended here
Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

i daily drove my 02 z28 for 3 years. Barrett Jackson will never be setting record sales with 4th gen f-bodies....so...i drive the crap out of mine everyday because i love it!
however, you will need something to get you to work if your car does break(i learned this the hard way). i got a 91 rcsb S-10 with a 4.3 and 5-speed for $1200...it's great on gas and gets me around while my car is broken.
i recomend buying a cheap beater.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Banned

i daily drove my 02 z28 for 3 years. Barrett Jackson will never be setting record sales with 4th gen f-bodies....so...i drive the crap out of mine everyday because i love it!
I believe people said that about hemi cuda's back in the day....

btw, that 4.3/5-speed s10 is another hard combo to come by.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by xchaosx
damn. really gettin technical here- just sayin its nice to have a truck and a fast car- sports or muscle
Nothing technical about it. They are not sports cars, so no reason to call them that. It will just make your seem ignorant to people that know what they are talking about.

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE

INBSSTGTFYM!!

(In before someone says they're going to **** your mom, lol)
I was thinking, "I hate when idiots put up a bunch of letters like we know what it is supposed to mean". I continued to read on and LOL'd!
Old 01-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

i realize my car isn't a Ferrari, but it still means alot to me. seeing it get covered in dirt and get hit by salt, sand, rocks, and whatever because i have to drive it in the winter pisses me off. if i could still afford it, it would most definitely buy another DD. what if some dumb *** decides to run a stop sign while your driving home from work one day, t-bones your car and totals it. would you rather be in a POS, or the car youv'e put time and money into?

these cars are meant to be driven yes, but having a DD doesn't mean you have to keep your car in the garage and drive it once a year. drive it as much as you want to, but with a daily, you have options. driving a 120hp honda to and from work everyday, getting home, and hopping into your f-body for a drive really makes you appreciate what it can do.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

First, everyone needs to calm the **** down. There is no right or wrong answer here. There is only ONE correct answer, and this guy has it figured out:

Originally Posted by spoonraker
Whether or not you should buy a dedicated daily driver has nothing to do with what car you drive, but what the purpose of the car is and what would be the most advantageous to what your goal is for it/yourself. Ultimately, it's still your decision.

Stock f-body, 8 second dragster, honda civic, monster truck, $250,000 lambo, doesn't matter. If you bought the car to drive every day, by all means drive it every day. If you have the money for gas, tires, maintenance, etc, who am I to say you can't drive what you bought?

If you bought the car to be an all-out race car, or as a collector item/investment, it could easily be reasonably argued that it would be advantageous to you to buy a dedicated daily driver. However, when it comes right down to it, it's nobody's car except yours. If you want to rack up miles on a mint condition rare car, or go get groceries in your 1,200HP dragster, do it.
Nothing eles needs to be said really. I'll just add the fact that anyone who thinks it's possibile to keep any car show quality, just by cleaning it, while still driving it in all weather, is crazy. I can prove this with my own two F-bodies. One is a DD, one is not, and it shows (even though I go above and beyond to keep the DD nice).

Mileage and weather wears a car no matter if you accept, beleive, or even notice it. Doesn't matter how well you care for the cosmetics; if you drive it, all you can do is slow the aging process, but not stop it.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

personally I do own 4 cars none in which I choose for DD. I have a 03 Mountaineer for family hauling and long trips it has 117k on it with the 4.6 its not the best on gas but heated seats do work well when its cold. My 95 Eclipse I have just because its been with us for 10 years it has 96k and id a blast in the snow with awd. My 96 Z28 I dont give a hell about it looks nice and drives nice but will never be worth a dime with a salvage title 114k on the clock. Same for my 98 T/A granted no salvage history but with 136k miles itwill never bring high dollar. So I will drive them till the wheels fall off. When the wheels fall off I will put them back on and drive some more. I dont care about salt, snow etc. If the floor pan rusts out or any other panel for that matter I will replace it. So for none of the above have rust issues they all have under coating get cleaned very well and get inspected for issues regular. I dont buy cars to let them sit in the garage. I beat them when ever I feel and have a blast while doing it. I dont ever plan on bringing best of show or big money at barrett jackson. I just plan on having a big grin on my face for years to come.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

truck and car is the way to go.

I had a GTO for a daily and a WS6 for the weekend cruiser, sold the ws6 after I got that I could not refuse, and then now am looking for a truck/tbss for a daily, to retire the GTO to pleasure driver.

Ryan
Old 01-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Banned

truck and car is the way to go.
why not have both. Its called an elcamino
Old 01-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Launching!

I am with these guys, We have an elantra (POS) and a buick century. People may laugh but they're paid for lol. And then we have my toy. I drive my car don't get me wrong, but with more mods, the less comfortable it is to do. So get a beater, nothing special, and have your car for when YOU want to drive it.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Launching!

If I daily drove my Camaro it would look as beat as all the other DD F-Bodies around here. But I'm fortunate to have multiple vehicles that all serve a purpose and A newer 274 hp turbo AWD is as much fun in the winter as the Camaro is in the summer.
The Camaro was purchased as a fun car for fair weather. If I had to DD it and park it outside or on the street and money was a consideration for a 2nd car, I never would have bought it!

Nothing technical about it. They are not sports cars, so no reason to call them that. It will just make your seem ignorant to people that know what they are talking about.

It dosn't matter what we call them. Insurance companies list them as sports cars and is the catagory we pay under.

Last edited by sundaydriver; 01-03-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

Last winter I drove my GTO all winter long. Shitty tires and a 6 speed sucks. But I liked it. Now I don't have to cuz I have a truck. If I had the extra money I would off diffently bought anothor car.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

well i bought my 96 buick century with 74k miles on it for $500 off my grandma, and its been little over a year now and serves it purpose as a winter beater work car. im sure if anyone of your family members was selling the same sale i bought, everyone would jump on it.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I vote to own as many cars as possible. I have always enjoyed every car I've had, whether they were a POS or not. I've always been lucky enough to have an f-body, and I've always had another car to DD as well. I've driven a 96 Grand Prix with a zillion miles on it and thought it was a blast just b/c it didn't matter what I did to it, a 97 GTP which was fast but still decent in snow, a 99 Dakota 4X4 that I did some crazy off-roading with cuz it didn't matter if I tore it up, and a few Z71s. It's nice to have a back-up ride if one breaks down/flat tire etc. You can mod and not be in a big hurry to get done. Plus, u can change your f-bod over to recreational on your insurance, which can cut the rate in half.
Do what you want to do, but if you're a nutcase like me about cars, you're happy to have as many at your residence as you can fit in your garage/driveway.