General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Code decoding needed please

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Code decoding needed please

Had a SES light pop up on the truck and need some help figuring out what it is. Went to Advanced Auto and had it scanned and came up as: P0451 Evap emission control system pressure sensor range. Any help? On a side note, the guy said he couldn't clear the code because they had locked up a car doing that previously. They've always done it for me before...any ideas on this. How can I clear the code without going to the ******* dealership?Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 02WS6SSZ71; 01-28-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to reset codes- put key in ignition and turn the car on; dont start the engine though. pop the hood and pull the pcm-bat and pcm-ign fuses. Wait 2 min, turn car off, replace fuses
Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Try our truck site:

http://www.performancetrucks.net/

...your log in and password is the same over there.

You can clear your codes by unplugging the battery and pull the PCM fuse for a few minutes. When you start it back up it will act stupid and go through a relearn process.

But you can get a cheap scanner from Autozone/O'Riellys for around $50. It really pays for itself.

~ Craig
Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replys. Didn't realize i could post on the trucks forum with my login. Do the cheapo scanners at the parts stores give you a better diagnosis than described in the original post? If not, I might as well get them scanned for free.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a scanner is a scanner. all its going to give you in the check engine code being broadcast at the time. just get the code scanned for free.

i bought an obd2 scanner off ebay that plugs into my laptop via the USB Port. $40 and it will pull any engine code plus read RPMS, water temp, and a lot of other parameters
Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

They come with an owners manual that has the same descriptions you will find with a Google search.

But if you own one of these scanners you do not have to drive anywhere to get it scanned (during their business hours) and clear the codes (not tell you no like now).

I bought a $150 one from O'Rielly's that has a brief description on the screen itself, not just a code number. Now the price dropped to $99 at Wal-Mart. I say that if you have the money buy one, you won't regret it.

~ Craig