General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Please talk me out of trading the camaro for a 99 FRC

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28punk
thanks for the info triche. when I was in mechanics school I was an apprentice under a 30 year vette mechanic. I learned a ton under him. all the tricks to work on the vettes are still fresh in my head. I think they are way easier to work on than the camaros. as far as C6 vs C5. I like the C5 more as far as looks. I like the pop-up headlights and their price is a lot more appealing to me.

I couldnt get ahold of my insurance agent yet, but I will definitely update u on what I find out. thanks for all your input

No problem. Just let me know if you need any help or if you have questions. As far as insurance go....if your on your own policy or not makes a big difference. If you are on your own, maybe get a beater to get a multiple car discount
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Upgrade to the vette...it's time for something new.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

trade!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

My insurance went down buy about 20 dollars a month. I also had a friend who made the switch and he is under 25 and has a lot of tickets and it still went down compared to the fbody.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Being 21 and a single male a vett would be cool BUT im gonna bet the insurance will be alot more!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the first thing I noticed is you didn't mention if you've driven it or not...I would definitely give it a go and see if you like it that much more than your Camaro to justify making payments for longer.

Besides that, I recently was looking through some possible C5s and found that my insurance did go up from my T/A. It surprised me a bit because most people you read about on here had it decrease, so it will be interesting to see what your agent has to say.

If you like the way it drives better and your insurance won't kill you, I definitely say go for it! You only live once. For me though, I'm just gonna wait out the A6 C6s...time is on my side .
Old 02-04-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demarco313
no its a frc. zo6's didnt start until 2001
O I C thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Get the vette you will never look back. I've owned 5 f-bodys and 13 vettes including my current one.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by triche
Well I guess my car looks like crap
Obviously not to you, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it. Looks are subjective so you'll never find a car that everyone can agree on as looking the best. I've posted many times that the C5 and C6 Z06s are likely the best all-around performing cars ever built for the money, stock for stock vs any other car. They are awesome performers; and that's not opinion - it's a fact. But there is no fact or fiction when it comes to appearance.

The OP asked for our opinions, and to try and talk him out of buying the car. I'm just doing my part. If it were me, and I was looking to make the move to a Vette, I'd just stick with the F-body until I could afford a C6 based soley on the appearance factor.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
The Camaro is more practical. If I were you I would finish paying your Camaro off and then save up enough for a nice down payment on a vette. They will only get cheaper.
Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
Ummmmm.........I am going to risk it all and say, keep your car and be happy for now. You stated that you just started working your current job, so I will assume that you are on a budget. Its just me, but I think that for now, you should stop looking at the vette. It will be sold soon enough and your hunger for THAT car will will also gone. Your car looks to be in very nice condition based upon the picture's and the car will soon enough be all yours. I am just saying that with todays economy, sit back and take some deep, deep breaths and stay within your means. Also, if something happened and you suddenly found yourself without a job, you might be in too deep with payments, insurance, school and everything else needed on a daily basis. Sorry, if I sound too conservative.
Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Well, the first thing I noticed is you didn't mention if you've driven it or not...I would definitely give it a go and see if you like it that much more than your Camaro to justify making payments for longer.

Besides that, I recently was looking through some possible C5s and found that my insurance did go up from my T/A. It surprised me a bit because most people you read about on here had it decrease, so it will be interesting to see what your agent has to say.

If you like the way it drives better and your insurance won't kill you, I definitely say go for it! You only live once. For me though, I'm just gonna wait out the A6 C6s...time is on my side .
I am starting to lean towards keeping the camaro. I love the look of the vette, but i am really looking forward to having a car completely paid off. once its paid off, I can dump that money into seriously building it up to make it my own.
I have not driven it because its been snowing lately and im not gonna get a proper test drive out of it in the snow. not to mention I would have a hell of a time trying to drive it with summer tires on it. I am assuming it drives great tho. I obviously would not buy it if it drove like ****. there are no codes and no leaks. tires are newer and are not burned up like most vettes.

I called my insurance agent and it would only be $16 more per month. it would only cost me about $50 more per month to buy the vette. its not much, but its enough to make me want to keep the camaro. the last 2 years of unstable employment has made me really touchy about money.

Another thing I thought about was how much corvette parts cost. stupid things like EBCM's and HVAC modules cost a lot of money when they go out. I remember quoting parts for corvettes I was working on at the dealer and it always ended up costing like $800 for stupid electrical stuff.

I did just start this job and I have been through 2 years of unstable employment. it was tough, but the method I use to figure out if I can afford things is what kept me afloat. I make sure I can pay the insurance and car payment in one week's worth of pay. then the rest is extra for me to save/spend.

right now I am thinking about just getting a nice set of wheels for the camaro along with lowering it and buying a heads/cam package. The vette had the Borla Stinger exhaust system on it. that is still my favorite exhaust setup. I would like to put it on the camaro now.

thanks again for all your input.

Last edited by z28punk; 02-04-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd trade in a heart beat, but an FRC is my dream car!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

there is only one other FRC I would want over this. I want a white FRC or Z06 and then make it into a Ron Fellows look-alike.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Get the vette, any one can have a camaro!!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

keep the camaro
Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With you having to think twice about either keeping or trading your Camaro, I'm with the post above, keep the Camaro.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 AM
10 Second Club

I have both and I actually like the Camaro more. Corvette can be such a pain with going in and out of parking lots. No clearance really, Insurance is cheaper for the corvette. It's 90 dollars a month for full coverage.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 AM
MASS seller approved

get a vett just not a 99 try 03-04 they are cheap on vetthound.com
Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sway99bird
O I C thanks
sure no problem

Originally Posted by Wicked_C5
Get the vette you will never look back. I've owned 5 f-bodys and 13 vettes including my current one.
I agree!! I have both and its no contest! Vette all the way!
Damn 5 f-bodys and 13vettes.. Damn are you or your manager hiring? lol

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
I have both and I actually like the Camaro more. Corvette can be such a pain with going in and out of parking lots. No clearance really, Insurance is cheaper for the corvette. It's 90 dollars a month for full coverage.
Thats true about the ground clearance but thats something i can look past. Not a big deal at all to me.

Your insurance is $90 a month?? Wow may i ask who is your insurance provider? Im still shopping for insurance because State Farm is a little expensive which is to be expected. I also have a perfect driving record! I would ask your age also but thats getting to technical lol
Old 02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by demarco313
Your insurance is $90 a month?? Wow may i ask who is your insurance provider? Im still shopping for insurance because State Farm is a little expensive which is to be expected. I also have a perfect driving record! I would ask your age also but thats getting to technical lol
Age makes all the difference. State Farm is cheap when you're in the 25+ group.

I pay $55/month for full coverage through State Farm on an '02 V8 F-body. I'd probably pay just a bit more on a C5 since it's worth more. I am 30.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts

Ya..my Z28 is like $28/month full cov through GEICO.. must be cause it's a LT1..lol

Quick Reply: Please talk me out of trading the camaro for a 99 FRC