General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Finding all of the squeeks and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finding all of the squeeks and rattles

What is the best way to go about actively seeking out all of the rattles and shakes, and what would be the best way to stop them from makin noise... Like in the door panel for instance. If I find something banging just tape it down or what? Basic question but just want some hands on advise.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

a BIG help will be subframe conectors. If its a high milage car it may be too late, and honestly no cars perfect and Ive kinda accepted the squeeks and ratles as part of owning a F-body. And being a unibody car the more you beat on and race the car the worse its going to get (not noticable after ever run but over time)
Old 02-22-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

I have SFC's but really it just seems to be interior components behind the panels and such, and yeah it is a high mileage car so there are those ones that rattle just from age. I guess I will just seek and destroy...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-Camaro-98
I have SFC's but really it just seems to be interior components behind the panels and such, and yeah it is a high mileage car so there are those ones that rattle just from age. I guess I will just seek and destroy...
Yeah, SFC's wont really do the trick considering the rattles aren't from "chassis flex" but usually poor interior build quality. The biggest issue with rattles from bumps/road imperfections IMO is the stock shocks, or any inadequate shock, when they cant damp the car/spring, they create, or let in vibrations from either having too much compression or not enough rebound. I had some interior rattles from road imperfections, typical hatch rattle, ttops etc, all went away after installing just koni 4/3's. You can REALLY tell they are doing their job, and just how bad of a job the stockers did in comparison.
If your getting vibrations/rattles from hitting bumps you may want to consider getting better shocks, while the bilstien kit you have is supposed to work together, off the shelf (non-custom valved) bilstiens in general don't hold up very well with lowering springs from what Ive heard/seen.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

I was having some squeak rattle issues too, and I found a quick fix for all of them.

lol. I hate to be a debbie downer, but these cars are squeak/rattle machines. I wish you the best of luck!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I know, they are practically made for that purpose: to rattle. I have to run the two drag packs in the rear to keep my 335's from rubbing.. Thats probably the culprit that promotes most of these rattles to get worse.