General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Whats too many miles for used f-body stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK YOU! thanks to all who have given me their opinions, I actually just found a ls1 camaro 99 for sale in atlanta, 158k DEALER, asking 6k, it is dark blue and says he even just ordered racing stripes (lol) I told him he can keep those haha, interior looks IMMACULATE, exterior the same, only thing is the miles but looks like a well taken care of car, gonna be going down next weekend for it, and 99% sure ill be coming back with it, I havent checked the carfaz or asked about it, but for a car in that nice condition, who would? lol, hope its the one, trip will cost 500 bucks lol
Old 02-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Teching In

**** i got my car for 7k with 52xxx on it 4 months ago in north carolina from a old guy.2002 trans am t56 ls1. best deal ive ever seen in my life. an im never selling or my 86 z. also ive seen a 99 trans am come in with 323 on the clock.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98droptop
If you could swing looking out west, I would highly recommend it.
You would be suprised at how good the cars look out here even when they are 15 years old.
I can attest to this. My trans am from the south (hawaii, florida, arizona) looks like a car with half its miles from up north. I have 127k. Try finding a northern year round driven car with over 100k mi in this kind of shape, i dare you. There is a reason why my car has been off the road since early november and won't come out until the rains wash all the road salt away.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

just remember, sitting in a garage all winter does not always protect from rust. if it sits in a unheated concrete floor garage, it stands the possibility of sweating during spring months. had a car once in a garage that looked like i washed it inside the garage, water running down the sides onto the floor, underbody coated in moisture, everything and i mean EVERYTHING was soaked in water even underhood. granted its not salt, but that much moisture in a garage can reek havoc on a car. usually by june it's gone. happens when the concrete is so cold, and temps are warming up. the garage at the time also had a open drain straight outside, letting in warm air.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by soxin2008
THANK YOU! thanks to all who have given me their opinions, I actually just found a ls1 camaro 99 for sale in atlanta, 158k DEALER, asking 6k, it is dark blue and says he even just ordered racing stripes (lol) I told him he can keep those haha, interior looks IMMACULATE, exterior the same, only thing is the miles but looks like a well taken care of car, gonna be going down next weekend for it, and 99% sure ill be coming back with it, I havent checked the carfaz or asked about it, but for a car in that nice condition, who would? lol, hope its the one, trip will cost 500 bucks lol
Just in case this one car doesn't work out, there should be many other LS1 cars in the metro Atlanta area. Have some 'backups' ready to look at as well so the trip won't be a 'one car or bust' trip. I think you will be successful. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon87transam
just remember, sitting in a garage all winter does not always protect from rust. if it sits in a unheated concrete floor garage, it stands the possibility of sweating during spring months. had a car once in a garage that looked like i washed it inside the garage, water running down the sides onto the floor, underbody coated in moisture, everything and i mean EVERYTHING was soaked in water even underhood. granted its not salt, but that much moisture in a garage can reek havoc on a car. usually by june it's gone. happens when the concrete is so cold, and temps are warming up. the garage at the time also had a open drain straight outside, letting in warm air.
This much moisture will only develop if you have rapid temp fluctuation, like poorly sealed doors or windows, or the open drain you mentioned. My garage is unheated, but I've never had this issue in the ~10 years I've been at this house.

However, I also keep rubber-backed carpet underneath the cars for added protection.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vehicles can last a long time if taken care of as people have said.

When I was in HS, I picked up a high mileage 2wd 91 Silverado ext cab for 3 grand. It would move out pretty good for 163,000. Had some 18's on it, lowered 2/4, hellwig swaybars, toxic shocks, and the motor had full bolt ons plus an intake mani, and full exhaust with headers. I picked it up thinking with that man miles the motor would go pow and give me an excuse to build a 383 or maybe put a fresh 454 in it and have a pretty badass street truck. BUUUUT the damn thing ran up to 191,000 before I sold it. Only replaced a starter and did basic maintainence on it. Some vehicles have it some don't.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Launching!

i got my 00Z for 4k with 162 had a lid and exhaust now it's down south running 12.7's with 170ish
Old 02-28-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TopNotch02
**** i got my car for 7k with 52xxx on it 4 months ago in north carolina from a old guy.2002 trans am t56 ls1. best deal ive ever seen in my life. an im never selling or my 86 z. also ive seen a 99 trans am come in with 323 on the clock.
damn I'd like to find that
Old 02-28-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did have the sweating issue once last year but i made sure to dry off the car. a sweating car sitting in a garage is no different than one sitting outside that gets dew on it. water is one thing, road salt is another entirely. mine wasn't totally soaked like the other person mentioned though, it was just a little damp like it had dew on it. mine usually comes out sometime in march once there is enough rain to wash the salt off the roads. then if it does snow i'll just leave it in the garage again for awhile. it stays in there when i'm not driving it anyway.