General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

trying to buy a car...rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trying to buy a car...rant

im losing my mind over here. every time i try and buy a car it gets sold the same day i go to buy it.

all started with a 99 c5 i found, saw it on ebay, didnt sell, called the uy and said he is working during the week to come by on saturday. i go to the bank friday, call him saturday morning, he picks up and says ooo theres a guy here with a trailer buying the car sorry.

few weeks later found an frc c5 off the forums that was for sale for 5 months with no buyers. spoke to the guy and said the same thing, "come on sunday"
i asked to leave a deposit via paypal and he said its not necessary no one has even looked or called on it in a week. sunday comes, call him up and BAM said he had someone there and they were signing the title over.

2 weeks ago called on a gto, wasnt looking into them much but it was a good price. told him i will take it and can leave a deposit on the computer (this was at 10pm), he said no just call him at 8 am and we can meet up.

called at 8 every 1/2 hour and no answer. 10am comes go take out money from the bank and continue to try and get in touch with him/ 1pm comes around and he finally picks up the phone. "sorry many someone called me and offered more money in cash so i sold it..cars gone"

now yesterday found a car on a dealers website about 3 hours away. it was listed that same day. guy said there are closing early and he will call me in the morning, car is still available. today comes around i call and hes not in, then all other sales people are busy, ohh hes on the line he will call you back. now at this point i have my money on the kitchen table with my keys and have the insurance company on standby with the vin/policy. finally calls me back 10 minutes ago and says oo theres someone here working the deal. sorry.

im done no cars for me
Old 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks man I am having the same problem in the opposite effect, I have had 4 ppl tell me they are buying my car, and every time within the hour we r to meet the bail out. Good luck, but as I am trying to stay positive, if it wasn't meant to be it wasn't meant to be.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

ya stuff like that happens man.

don't give up though! lol giving up for that reason would be kinda silly dont you think .
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Launching!

That sucks man. That's why I pounced on mine. The woman had it listed for a couple hours when I called. I left work an hour later to drive it/pay her. Now that you've got the money in hand, it'll at least allow you to act quicker. Keep your eyes open...you'll find one.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
ya stuff like that happens man.
Not really.... at least not THAT many times in a row.

To the OP, you've got some really bad luck. Either that, or there's an insanely great deal on the perfect car thats going to hit you soon, and some higher power really likes you enough to keep all these other cars away.

PS. Where do you live? Maybe I can sell you one of my cars.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Keep at it! something will turn up, esp in the next month or two when they all come out of hibernation
Old 03-02-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

steal a car
Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned

its because those cars aren't meant to be. all the people who bought those cars before you will probably die in some horrible crash in those vehicles
Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
its because those cars aren't meant to be. all the people who bought those cars before you will probably die in some horrible crash in those vehicles
^^^^Hahahahaha this is incredible

And also a good way to look at your undesirable situation. Good luck man. Oh and you should get a C5 over a Goat. Just my opinion...
Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 287 Likes on 216 Posts

**** happens for a reason..
Old 03-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Staging Lane

well guys, later on yesterday i had to go to the dmv for some other stuff and my cell rang. it was the dealer with the t/a. turns out a retired employee was trying to buy the car, hence why they tried to backdoor me. they tried everything they could but he couldnt get approved for financing! so i put a deposit on over the phone and flew down there money in hand and we made a deal. wound up getting her for 8600 otd. 98 trans am, 31700 miles, auto, with 3.23 gears. im happy the search is over!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryda85
well guys, later on yesterday i had to go to the dmv for some other stuff and my cell rang. it was the dealer with the t/a. turns out a retired employee was trying to buy the car, hence why they tried to backdoor me. they tried everything they could but he couldnt get approved for financing! so i put a deposit on over the phone and flew down there money in hand and we made a deal. wound up getting her for 8600 otd. 98 trans am, 31700 miles, auto, with 3.23 gears. im happy the search is over!
Nice LOW miles! Excellent find at a very decent price. You'll have years and years of driving pleasure ahead of you. Congratulations!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See, it was worth all the BS now then wasnt it?

You have a nice car with probably the lowest miles of anything you mentioned.

Congrats !
Old 03-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been looking for an f body for over 2 years. I'm growing tired of looking as well.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Good find. That's a deal with low mileage...

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
I've been looking for an f body for over 2 years. I'm growing tired of looking as well.
Are your standards too high or are you not looking very hard?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by johnlv6
Are your standards too high or are you not looking very hard?
Chasing a specific model, color, and trans type for a fair price proves to be rather tough.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Trouble buying a car?? Im having the exact opposite problem..
Old 03-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Chasing a specific model, color, and trans type for a fair price proves to be rather tough.
You're likely going to have to cave on something if you want one (unless you want to pay $10k+ for a 8+ year old car). i.e. I originally wanted a black car...once I sat down and thought about it, that was something I decided wasn't that important. I then decided that because I intended to daily drive/drive the wheels off of it, there was no point in my paying a premium for a low mileage car. There were things that I wasn't going to compromise on though (ex. SS, manual transmission, t-top, leather).

What exactly are you looking for? Post up a WTB thread. Granted you'll get a lot of garbage responses, but at least you'll see people pulling from sources you might not have noticed otherwise.

Last edited by johnlv6; 03-05-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by johnlv6
You're likely going to have to cave on something if you want one (unless you want to pay $10k+ for a 8+ year old car). i.e. I originally wanted a black car...once I sat down and thought about it, that was something I decided wasn't that important. I then decided that because I intended to daily drive/drive the wheels off of it, there was no point in my paying a premium for a low mileage car. There were things that I wasn't going to compromise on though (ex. SS, manual transmission, t-top, leather).

What exactly are you looking for? Post up a WTB thread. Granted you'll get a lot of garbage responses, but at least you'll see people pulling from sources you might not have noticed otherwise.
I've almost gave in a few times but it's worth holding out. I've got daily drivers and my plan for an f body is to go turbo. In combination with the turbo I also want to run a 4l80e so that pretty much eliminates the 98s from the picture. Besides that my only other requirements are a black body in great condition with less than 70K on the clock. I don't care about any of the other options. I'd be happy with cloth seats and manual windows as long as it's black. People just think they're worth more than they really are but I'll eventually find what I'm after. The hunt continues...
Old 03-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Launching!

I've almost gave in a few times but it's worth holding out. I've got daily drivers and my plan for an f body is to go turbo. In combination with the turbo I also want to run a 4l80e so that pretty much eliminates the 98s from the picture. Besides that my only other requirements are a black body in great condition with less than 70K on the clock. I don't care about any of the other options. I'd be happy with cloth seats and manual windows as long as it's black. People just think they're worth more than they really are but I'll eventually find what I'm after. The hunt continues...
I couldn't agree more. That's why I waited until last summer to purchase. Keep your eyes open on craigslist. I did a daily search within ~300 miles and that's how I found mine...three miles down the road. lol

http://www.themccumbers.com/States.htm