General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

About to buy my first LSX - Any sugestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About to buy my first LSX - Any sugestions?

Well as the title states I'm about to buy my first LSX engine. I work at a wrecking yard that has a contract with GM to handle all of there crusher cars. So I have just about anything to pick from. (except the corvette motors. There sold before we even get them apart.) I'm trying to decide between an aluminum block 6.0L truck engine (not sure what its out of but it has an aluminum block and cathedral port heads), a 2008 6.2L escalade engine, or a standard 6.0L truck engine. I'm basically trying to figure out what is going to be the best bang for the buck. Should I spend the extra money on the 6.2L or should I just go with a 6.0L? and if I go 6.0L is there any benefit to the aluminum block vs. cast iron other than weight? Would I be better off going 6.0L and buying some rectangle port heads for it vs. the 6.2L? Whatever I end up with it is going in my 86' short bed or my 71' Nova. Both will end up with an LSX in them eventually though regardless of which one I do first.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

People are probably going to ask what your goals for the car/truck are. What kind of power do you want to make?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get that 6.2 b/c it has the L92 style heads on it, and they are the ****.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

MOST Critical Point; GET EVERYTHING!

Get the Entire, Complete Engine Wiring harness, with All plugs and Connections intact, Get the PCM, Intake, TB, Injectors, Fuel rails, Coil packs, knock sensors, oil pressure sender and MOST importantly ALL accessories, P/S, Alternator, water-pump A/C compressor and Mounting Brackets & associated bolts, ALL OF THEM!!

If you don't, you could see your Great Used, Salvage Engine price sky-rocket trying to source all those "Little Things" you missed getting. When you get a Take-out, make sure they didn't Take it Out with Dikes and a Saws-all.

Best Advice you'll hear on this subject.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Teching In

No worries about the condition of the pull out. I work at the wrecking yard so I can get it, and all its accessories, in perfect condition. I'm also a machinist and plan on making my own accessory brackets and valve covers for some cool factor. I was just wondering if I should go with the 6.0L and buy some L92 heads for it or is the 6.2L really worth double the money?