General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Hagerty/Collector Car Insurance??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have either grundy or haggerty but I use infinity insurance. They have a collectors policy and Im 250 a year with 20k value
Old 04-07-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have been inquiring about collector car insurance also,
and just wanted to make everyone aware,

with Grundy there is an "acknowledgement of use" agreement that you must sign that states in part- "It is further understood and agreed that any vehicle insured under this policy will not be used to participate in any rally gymkhana, speed contest, race of timed event of any kind."

I called them to ask further about this and was told that if any accident should happen during any type of "speed event" all claims will be denied.
If you are street racing and crash, take it to the track and crash--- all coverage/claims are denied. Even speeding on the street, if you crash and it is determined that "excessive speed" was the cause or contributing factor-- claims denied. This is what Patrick at Grundy told me.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by proporio
I have been inquiring about collector car insurance also,
and just wanted to make everyone aware,

with Grundy there is an "acknowledgement of use" agreement that you must sign that states in part- "It is further understood and agreed that any vehicle insured under this policy will not be used to participate in any rally gymkhana, speed contest, race of timed event of any kind."

I called them to ask further about this and was told that if any accident should happen during any type of "speed event" all claims will be denied.
If you are street racing and crash, take it to the track and crash--- all coverage/claims are denied. Even speeding on the street, if you crash and it is determined that "excessive speed" was the cause or contributing factor-- claims denied. This is what Patrick at Grundy told me.
This is NOT a Grundy specific thing. Any normal collector car insurance policy or regular daily-driver type insurance policy will not cover damages from illegal racing or even damage during racing at a track, if they find out that's where/how it happened.

I don't know if any insurance companies offer optional "racing" insurance coverage for track-only cars, as I've never needed/looked for this type of coverage.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Teching In

I live in North Carolina and have my 01 SS insured with Hagertys. Although the car has about 10k worth of mods done to it, they had no problem insuring it. It is a 16.5k declared value and cost $281 a year. But they do not want your DD to be older than your collector car.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJohnson76
I live in North Carolina and have my 01 SS insured with Hagertys. Although the car has about 10k worth of mods done to it, they had no problem insuring it. It is a 16.5k declared value and cost $281 a year. But they do not want your DD to be older than your collector car.
I just priced coverage threw Hagarty, and was told that my Daily Driver couldn't be older than a 2006.

I drive a 1999 GMC Sonoma and a 1997 Blazer for my main vehicles. This disqualified my application for being eligible for coverage.

I can't say I don't understand their train of thought. They want to be sure you have an extremely reliable vehicle so you aren't forced to drive your Collector Car on your daily commute. But at the same time, I have multiple vehicles, as well as, my wife's car as back up auto's, so I believe I'm more than covered when it comes to having something to drive besides my Collector Car. I believe an exception could be made.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

When I signed up with Grundy several years ago, it was for coverage on my '71 and '98. They told me I was required to have daily drivers for each driver in the household (that being myself and my wife). At the time, our daily drivers were an '02 Camaro and a '96 Bonneville, and this is what I listed on my application. Grundy never said a word to me about one of our daily drivers being 2 years older than one of my "collector" cars.

Not sure if their policy has changed towards new customers or not, but to this day they have never questioned me about this. Just an FYI.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

I live in N.C. and have Hagerty's on my '88 Z28. IIRC the main stipulations was, garage kept, another daily driver, no timed events, and most of all, NO NITROUS. I have $20.000 agreeded value, full coverage, roadside assistance/towing for $555 per year. I had to send my agent some pics, but had no problems.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

With Hagerty you cannot drive car to work. Also your car is not a collector car!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JC70SS
With Hagerty you cannot drive car to work. Also your car is not a collector car!
I occasionally drive my car to work, and you're right, it's not a "collector" car. I also don't think the majority of cars on here are either. Hagerty did agree to a $20,000 value. I was just stating my experience for the OP.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JC70SS
Also your car is not a collector car!
In this case, your opinion (or mine, or anyone else's) of what a collector car is/should be doesn't matter. For the purposes of this type of insurance, a "collector car" is defined mostly by how the car is used, not by how old, popular, valuable, rare or special interest the car might be.

The term "collector" can apply to a broad range of cars, dependent on situation, and it doesn't mean the same thing as "antique" or "classic". Antique and classic have a more defined, specific and universally agreed meaning.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad I saw this thread, I seem to meet all of the qualifications(I'm almost 22 though so I'm sure it will still be a bit expensive) except for keeping the car indoors. I do not have anywhere to keep the car garaged ..will this instantly decline me? If so, what if I were to bend the truth a bit and claim it is garaged ..not the morally right thing to do, but really, how would they know? I know I couldn't make a claim if a car hits it in the parking lot, that would be obvious it's not stored properly ..but at the same time the basic liability I have through Progressive for $700 a year would not cover that either. Even if their rate isn't cheaper than $700, I'll still be gaining full coverage collision for a similar price as the basic liability I have now.

Edit: I am on a military installation in rural Missouri where I'm sure the crime late is low. Of course the military post is gated and secure, anyone think this would make a difference in their decision?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Tan327
Glad I saw this thread, I seem to meet all of the qualifications(I'm almost 22 though so I'm sure it will still be a bit expensive)
There is an age requirement (25 perhaps?) for some or most of them. So this is something to review with a potential carrier before even worrying about any other details of qualification.

Having said that....

Originally Posted by Tan327
except for keeping the car indoors. I do not have anywhere to keep the car garaged ..will this instantly decline me?
...if you can't keep the car indoors, they will decline you, at least mine would. On my application, I remember that they even asked details about the building the car was stored in when not in use.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I just priced coverage threw Hagarty, and was told that my Daily Driver couldn't be older than a 2006.

I drive a 1999 GMC Sonoma and a 1997 Blazer for my main vehicles. This disqualified my application for being eligible for coverage.

I can't say I don't understand their train of thought. They want to be sure you have an extremely reliable vehicle so you aren't forced to drive your Collector Car on your daily commute. But at the same time, I have multiple vehicles, as well as, my wife's car as back up auto's, so I believe I'm more than covered when it comes to having something to drive besides my Collector Car. I believe an exception could be made.

That's odd

My DD is a '97 Land Cruiser insured by Progressive and Hagerty insured my '29 Ford for $30k without question

I just bumped up the coverage to $40k during my renewal yesterday
Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had Grundy for 4 years.

Something here I didn't see mentioned. Some states, including mine (AZ) will allow emissions exemption if you have a collector policy. Yep you heard me right. It took 10 minutes and a supervisor at the DMV but my car is "checked off" in the computer as emissions exempt. I even get 5 year registration options. This alone is worth it for me. No sneaking into a smog port with a 24x duration cam loping out of straight-through pipes with a look on my face like "I dunno why the CEL isn't on? Guess it passes eh?".

Look into it. A few states have it buried on their DMV emissions webpages. Heres an example:

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html

Had to DIG the net for that even now. Not on the normal AZ DMV site, nor the site they use for their testers. Be vigilant.

Note, "Owners of collectible vehicles must contact their insurance carriers to arrange for the required insurance. The carrier will notify MVD electronically, allowing the vehicle to be registered as a collectible vehicle.". I don't know if they actually do that. I went in person with my copies. Probably best the first time. After that you should be "checked off".
Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

I got a quote on my car a few years back. Seem like a great idea, however just seems to have too many grey areas for you to get the shaft. Not sure how the pleasure driving vs car show driving labels work, but it seems like it would be an uphiill battle proving your case.

Quick Reply: Hagerty/Collector Car Insurance??