General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help with Bellhousing Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Bellhousing Removal

I have been fighting with this thing for 2 days and I really can't find any info out there. The bellhousing is stuck on the engine and I cannot remove it. I took all the bolts off, even the one way at the top, sprayed it all down with PB over the course of a few days and still nothing.

Does anybody have any tricks with this? I don't want to damage the bell by pounding too hard or wedging too much.... Thanks for your time and ideas.

-JT
Old 03-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

If this is an LS1/T56 there are slots on either side of the bell housing that you can insert a small pry bar or screw driver to back it out. I suspect the dowel pins are just a bit tight. You should not have to beat on it. They did not assemble it with a hammer so no need for one on removal. I am also assuming that ALL the bolts are out.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone comes across this problem the first time they take out the tranny. Over time the dowel pins expand and being that the bellhousing and block are aluminum, they tend to kinda fuse together. The first time it took me two hours with a large flat screwdriver and a pry bar to get it off. You just have to be patient and nudge it little by little. I had mine on a lift and I would grab the tail end of the trans and move it side to side but not hard. There really are no tricks, it's just really, really stuck on there. Good luck and it will eventually come off.

Also, you should have 8 bolts total, if you don't that may be your problem.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

just got it....thanks for the info everyone.