General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

pulled the trans today

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put mine back in Saturday night with new slave, remote bleeder, clutch, flywheel, etc. Installing it we just raised it almost the entire way with a transmission jack. Then just sorta tilted it up and in. It is one seriously heavy transmission though if you ask me, not sure how some of you guys do it alone. Got the top bolts with some extensions and a swivel. Loc-tited like 4 bolts just to be sure and torqued the rest down to snug. Bellhousing first, then bolt tranny to the bell.

Anybody have any pics of remote bleeder mounting or tips on where to store it? I was thinking up under the hood.... Thanks!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aerojt
I just put mine back in Saturday night with new slave, remote bleeder, clutch, flywheel, etc. Installing it we just raised it almost the entire way with a transmission jack. Then just sorta tilted it up and in. It is one seriously heavy transmission though if you ask me, not sure how some of you guys do it alone. Got the top bolts with some extensions and a swivel. Loc-tited like 4 bolts just to be sure and torqued the rest down to snug. Bellhousing first, then bolt tranny to the bell.

Anybody have any pics of remote bleeder mounting or tips on where to store it? I was thinking up under the hood.... Thanks!
thanks for the info, IMO I didnt really think the trans was all that heavy, I just pulled the trans with a transfer case out of my jeep the other day, that SOB was heavy
Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha funny you say that, I've done the Jeep 5 speed removal as well in my Wrangler. I take the T-case off first though, then the trans. Here's hoping everything works for both of us...
Old 03-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Launching!

if you can find some studs w/ the same thread as the trans mounting bolts, thread them into the block to make it easier to slide the trans on. an old mechanic also told me to use some all thread about 8-12 inches long threaded in to the block to replace a clutch or flywheel. slide trans back on all thread, work in cramped little area, slide trans back in place. you never have to drop the trans. have fun!

ben
Old 03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Just take your time when you are stabbing it in, and do it correctly.
That's what she said.

Most people run it right up next to the master cylinder up top near the firewall.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
if you can find some studs w/ the same thread as the trans mounting bolts, thread them into the block to make it easier to slide the trans on. an old mechanic also told me to use some all thread about 8-12 inches long threaded in to the block to replace a clutch or flywheel. slide trans back on all thread, work in cramped little area, slide trans back in place. you never have to drop the trans. have fun!

ben
its cool im not to worried about it, but thanks for the tip
Old 03-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Launching!

haha funny you say that, I've done the Jeep 5 speed removal as well in my Wrangler. I take the T-case off first though, then the trans. Here's hoping everything works for both of us...
what year wrangler and whats done to it?......I have a black YJ with 50,000 miles on it, 4" RC lift with the perf 2.2 shocks, SS brake line extensions, 33x13.50x15 super swamper LTB's with 15x10 cragar soft eights in black, slip yoke eliminator and CV drive shaft, its pretty unstoppable offroad, till my clutch got packed with mud lol
Old 03-27-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh wow, let me try to remember....

new 4.2 engine with weber, hei ignition, borla header, no cat, borla catback, flexible fan, mean green starter.

2.5 BDS lift with boomerangs, urethane bushings all around, rubicon 16" wheels with MTr's, ss brake lines.

NV3550 tranny with NP transfer case, 2004 hyraulics/clutch system, centerforce clutch, b&m short shifter, fully new interior with black super seats, all new speakers, carpets, door panels, new seals, 2 piece carpet lined hardtop, california tops half top in the house, I'll try to think of anything else. I've had it for over 10 years, it was my first car. Considering selling it this summer though...get something a lil more comfortable for daily winter driving.... It came from down South, so I am running no rust anywhere pretty much. I always oil spray, etc for the winter. A very clean Jeep, almost don't want to get rid of it...
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Oh wow, let me try to remember....

new 4.2 engine with weber, hei ignition, borla header, no cat, borla catback, flexible fan, mean green starter.

2.5 BDS lift with boomerangs, urethane bushings all around, rubicon 16" wheels with MTr's, ss brake lines.

NV3550 tranny with NP transfer case, 2004 hyraulics/clutch system, centerforce clutch, b&m short shifter, fully new interior with black super seats, all new speakers, carpets, door panels, new seals, 2 piece carpet lined hardtop, california tops half top in the house, I'll try to think of anything else. I've had it for over 10 years, it was my first car. Considering selling it this summer though...get something a lil more comfortable for daily winter driving.... It came from down South, so I am running no rust anywhere pretty much. I always oil spray, etc for the winter. A very clean Jeep, almost don't want to get rid of it...
that thing sounds bad ***, I just realized that you live in akron which is 40 min from my house, you should pm me some time and you will have to come wheelin with us, we usually have about 6-7 jeeps that like to go out every weekend
Old 03-27-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd be interested for sure, just not into breakin my Jeep! I would do some light trail rides though and stuff if you guys have a spot in mind. I did a Jeep Jamboree a few years back so I've got some experience. But like I said, I'm not the bravest cause Jeep parts are way too expensive!!! Thanks for the invite, where abouts do you live?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Launching!

I'd be interested for sure, just not into breakin my Jeep! I would do some light trail rides though and stuff if you guys have a spot in mind. I did a Jeep Jamboree a few years back so I've got some experience. But like I said, I'm not the bravest cause Jeep parts are way too expensive!!! Thanks for the invite, where abouts do you live?
hey man I hear you on that, I live in liberty, its right buy youngstown, we have some good trails around us, nothin to crazy.......oh and and I was gonna ask you before, do you ever go to the spaghetti warehouse on sundays for the super fly car show? cause I usually try to make it out every sunday
Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have seen it once, is it every sunday? Who puts that one on? I'll show for sure when they start it up again. There were some nice vehicles there the one time I stopped by.

-JT
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

330Tuning and Flat4.com put it on. I believe there is an actual schedule of events on the one site; but people are generally there every sunday in the summer so long as the weather is nice. Sometimes its alot of rice with some badass cars scattered in; but the actual 'sanctioned' events they won't let you in if your car is crap and there's some really, really badass stuff out then.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice, well maybe we could get a little F-bod section going or LS section... I will be there for sure now!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:09 AM
Launching!

Nice, well maybe we could get a little F-bod section going or LS section... I will be there for sure now!
hell yeah for sure, RSBEAST is my brother and we usually have a bunch of friends that go up there, along with my one buddy who has a SOM SS he is sic02SS on here
Old 03-30-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alright sweet, PM me or something when you guys are heading up. I'll go and represent! I have a black 98 SS, we can shoot the **** and enjoy Sunday night.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Alright sweet, PM me or something when you guys are heading up. I'll go and represent! I have a black 98 SS, we can shoot the **** and enjoy Sunday night.
sounds bad *** man, as soon as they start havin those shows again I will def get a hold of you, ill PM you my number and we'll get together and hang out and drink or some ****
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

nice to here it was an easy job... I have to do this within the next month or so as the tranny and believe the clutch is having some issues. done a C5 vette which I believe is maybe a little easier since its just bellhousing and tunnel
Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
nice to here it was an easy job... I have to do this within the next month or so as the tranny and believe the clutch is having some issues. done a C5 vette which I believe is maybe a little easier since its just bellhousing and tunnel
yeah it was really easy, as long as you know what your doin you shouldnt have any problems