General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SLP vs Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franksaltz28
Yea Ive had both systems before and the loudmouth is just to overwhelming. My loudmouth catback only was louder than my lts, off road ypipe, and magnaflow combo. Im positive its just a sound difference.
Same here! LM was a lot louder, raspier, and had mega drone. None of that with the Magnaflow (and flowmaster merge)

I got the timeslips to prove the change makes a difference! I had my lm2 exhaust installed last year. I didnt like the loud sound from the lm2 with my h/c package. I ordered a magnaflow bullet, but decided to get a before and after timeslip test. With the lm2 I ran a best of 12.35. With the only change being the magnaflow bullet install I went back to the track and my first pass was a 12.05 and after cooling it ran 12.03! The magnaflow was much quieter and I was surprised with the faster et!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 wife
I got the timeslips to prove the change makes a difference! I had my lm2 exhaust installed last year. I didnt like the loud sound from the lm2 with my h/c package. I ordered a magnaflow bullet, but decided to get a before and after timeslip test. With the lm2 I ran a best of 12.35. With the only change being the magnaflow bullet install I went back to the track and my first pass was a 12.05 and after cooling it ran 12.03! The magnaflow was much quieter and I was surprised with the faster et!
If the runs were on different days alot of other things could have contributed to the time differences such as temperature or track prep.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
If the runs were on different days alot of other things could have contributed to the time differences such as temperature or track prep.
It was the next day and the temps were very close. There were no other changes to the car but the magnaflow! I was one of the first cars down the track, so I had the benefit of a fresh sticky track.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
It feels as if my car got faster switching from the SLP loudass to the magnaflow set up. Does this make sense to anyone?

My only guess is that it makes more torque down low because I had near zero restrictiond down low with the SLP?
I switched from the LM2 directly to magnaflow.
The LM1 was too loud & the magnaflow was too quiet.
So I ended up trying GMMG & I love it.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
Actually, no. The SLP sounded way better when getting on it and even just acclerating lightly. The magnaflow has a much deeper tone. Reminds me of GTO exhaust for some reason.
The reason I switched is due to how loud it was. I could never hold a conversation with the SLP. With the magnaflow, I can finally hear people.

Do you have a dyno chart for both? I'm not saying it is faster, but that it feels faster. I'm guessing it due to better torque down low.
Ex. I have a 71 Nova that had a 454 in it. It felt fast, but lost its *** on the top end. I could out accelerate an F-body up to about 40-50, but lost ground after that.
I do have a dyno chart if your interested. I need to upload it to my computer though.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

if you have a chance, I would like to see it.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have magnaflow and its super quiet with headers and y pipe. sure am glad i have a cutout.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
I have magnaflow and its super quiet with headers and y pipe. sure am glad i have a cutout.
same here. but i did that on purpose. quiet or loud depending on my mood
Old 04-12-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

IDK these systems might dyno different numbers on different cars with different setups on different days, but I have seen dyno sheets and both systems dyno with 5-10 HP of each other on "similar" setups. Ive always heard that every 10 HP is roughly .1 off of 1/4 mile times. So if someone saw .2-.3 difference with JUST the switch of these catbacks that would mean that there is 20-30 HP difference between them And I just find that hard to believe, when ive had both of these catbacks on similar cars with the same results

My point is that there both good catbacks and there are ALWAYS going to be a few cases saying one is a ton better then the other... http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show....php?p=2955731
Theres a thread saying that LM makes 13hp/25 tq more then magnaflow same car same dyno. If there was that much different one of the systems would have a flowmaster reputation, opposed to the general consensus that you should get whatever sound you like better b/c the performance is comparable

Last edited by Starz T/A 17; 04-13-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
IDK these systems might dyno different numbers on different cars with different setups on different days, but I have seen dyno sheets and both systems dyno with 5-10 HP of each other on "similar" setups. Ive always heard that every 10 HP is roughly .1 off of 1/4 mile times. So if someone saw .2-.3 difference with JUST the switch of these catbacks that would mean that there is 20-30 HP difference between them And I just find that hard to believe, when ive had both of these catbacks on similar cars with the same results
i think the gain in quarter mile times may be due to a change in the power band, not necessarily a huge change in peak HP. there may just be slightly more power consistently through the rpm range.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

i think the gain in quarter mile times may be due to a change in the power band, not necessarily a huge change in peak HP. there may just be slightly more power consistently through the rpm range.
BINGO! what good is a 30 hp gain on the top end if you lose hp/torque on the low end? Unless I got real deep gears and a close ratio trans, I dont see the benefit.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Teching In

I love my LM1 on my 02 Z28. It feels quite abit faster high in the rpm range and sounds badass!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

i have slp lm1 on my 01 ss and wouldnt trade it for the world i think it can be loud at times but its easy to keep it quiet its called keep your foot out of it. But i think it pulls more air threw than the magnaflow cause i have the magna flow on my 02 ws6.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kcs02ta
i have slp lm1 on my 01 ss and wouldnt trade it for the world i think it can be loud at times but its easy to keep it quiet its called keep your foot out of it. But i think it pulls more air threw than the magnaflow cause i have the magna flow on my 02 ws6.
Do you have LTs and ory?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
ive thought about dumping my magnaflow for borla..just cant stand borlas tips..lol
I had a loudmouth and when I went to LTs, I never even started in on the LM. I put a Borla XR1 muffler directly in place of the LM expanded-piece-of-pipe. I absolutely LOOOOOVE the sound. I kept my sweet LM tips and anywhere below 3k, it's just a beautiful grumble, as soon as you put your foot in it, it is screaming. Very quiet idle and very loud WOT. For what I paid, it can't be beat. I'm convinced.

EDIT: I also have an in-car video with the LTs, ORY, and XR1 going down the track, one outside the car, and one of the dyno if anyone is interested.

Last edited by kdick91; 01-31-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kdick91
I had a loudmouth and when I went to LTs, I never even started in on the LM. I put a Borla XR1 muffler directly in place of the LM expanded-piece-of-pipe. I absolutely LOOOOOVE the sound. I kept my sweet LM tips and anywhere below 3k, it's just a beautiful grumble, as soon as you put your foot in it, it is screaming. Very quiet idle and very loud WOT. For what I paid, it can't be beat. I'm convinced.

EDIT: I also have an in-car video with the LTs, ORY, and XR1 going down the track, one outside the car, and one of the dyno if anyone is interested.
I'm interested! I have LM1, Race LT's and ORY and currently LOVE it, but always considered getting the XR-1 just so i can have it out later at night without waking all the neighbors haha
Old 02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kdick91

I did end up ditching my magnaflow for TSP Duals with bullets dumped.. and it is everything i wanted. The magnaflow is just too quiet. The duals sound is perfect. Definitely sounds more powerful with true duals.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Teching In

For me i just like the sound of the Magnaflow, my son had SLP on his SS way to loud for me i had the Magnaflow on my 99 SS and currently on my 03 Z06 I like the lower tone for me personally, did i gain over my corsa or borla, thats i qestion i cant answer but, what ever floats your boat , and what u like is the answer your looking for, based on that u can't go wrong
Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
People... just throw some cherry bombs on your true duals for the ultimate in "cool"

...this is 1968 afterall.
That would work well with my 3/4 cam.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I dont think you would notice any difference in performance. Wouldnt be worth the money imo
I agree.

I had a Magnaflow cb on my z28. It had a nice sound but it was overall pretty quiet. Definitely did not notice any gains from that either.

Quick Reply: SLP vs Magnaflow