General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I got an offer last night!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
So in other words you are never going to sell your car? Dropping 10 grand into a car makes it worth less in my opinion. I don't want a car someone else modded. I want to build it my way.
But on the flip side of that is it takes a **** ton of money to fully mod a car.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

expecting to get your money out of mods (such as, it's worth $10,000 stock, but I got $3000 in mods, so it's REALLY worth 13K) is not realistic!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you get a fair offer, you can take it. I sold my car based price I just threw out there, months later he came up with the cash, and I sold my 98 w/ 116K for $10K, great deal in my opinion since I owned it for 7 years, and I only paid 17K for it. It was a lot of fun for less than $100 a month.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its an 11 year old f-body... seriously, you are smoking something if you think its worth more than what he offered, hell, its not even worth that. Its not a stock low mileage special edition...
Old 04-12-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... what do people not understand about its not for sale? There is a value... be it love, blood, sweat, tears, time... etc... but there is a value on it. If his 'value' is more then what cash he is offered, and hes not TRYING to sell the car, then why sell it? If he likes the car and wants to keep it, why sell it for less then its 'value'. Because then he would just have to go buy a another one for about the same price, plus registration fees, tax etc... so he would end up with a comperable car for the same price. Just with a lot more headach.

Now if he WAS TRYING to sell the car it would be different. But hes not. Hes saying if he was offered enough, he would think about selling it. So good for you for turning it down. I would have done the same.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

These cars are not worth **** anymore... the end... the seller always thinks the car is worth more than it is... I say the offer was a great one. But if you dont wanna part with it, then dont.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Now if he WAS TRYING to sell the car it would be different. But hes not. Hes saying if he was offered enough, he would think about selling it. So good for you for turning it down. I would have done the same.
Well, I agree with you on that point, but that's not the impression I got from the original post:

Originally Posted by sunset_Z28/RS
....Than asked what i would take for it. I replied $12,500.....I laughingly declined and said $12,500 firm....
Those comments sounded to me like someone that *is* (albeit passively) looking to sell a car. If I don't want to sell something, I don't even have a price in my head to toss at people yet.

My comments were based on the assumption that he would like to sell it, if he received a fair offer. And I think $11k is a very fair offer *should he actually have any interest in selling it*. If I totally misunderstood the situation, then I agree that I too would turn down even a fair offer if I didn't want to sell the car in the first place.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Wink

Originally Posted by 406malibu
Its an 11 year old f-body... seriously, you are smoking something if you think its worth more than what he offered, hell, its not even worth that. Its not a stock low mileage special edition...
Well it books for just under $10,800 so its definately worth $11K. Also everyone else on this forum must be smoking the same thing as i have seen cars with more miles go for higher price.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Launching!

Talking

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
These cars are not worth **** anymore... the end... the seller always thinks the car is worth more than it is... I say the offer was a great one. But if you dont wanna part with it, then dont.
Like i stated above 99% of the people on this forum are the same way when they want to sell their car they always ask way more than what its worth because they have a sentimental value to the car and or their trying to recoupe the cost of mods they installed. They must be worth something because everybody wants or has one!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Wink

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Well, I agree with you on that point, but that's not the impression I got from the original post:

Those comments sounded to me like someone that *is* (albeit passively) looking to sell a car. If I don't want to sell something, I don't even have a price in my head to toss at people yet.

My comments were based on the assumption that he would like to sell it, if he received a fair offer. And I think $11k is a very fair offer *should he actually have any interest in selling it*. If I totally misunderstood the situation, then I agree that I too would turn down even a fair offer if I didn't want to sell the car in the first place.
The way it goes is. I want to keep the car BUT if somebody gave me $12,500 between now and next summer i will let it go and get something else.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordo78
I really think 11k was a hell of an offer for a 99. You say you have 10,600 in the car with mods, mods DO NOT add much value to a car, unless your mods are very, very extensive, and still you won't get your money back. Not even close. Your car being a bolt on car doesn't warrant marking up the price for most people.
Correct. We put money in our cars because it’s what we love to do, not because it is a sound investment (terrible in fact).

I completely understand the OP's view that it wasn't enough to let go of his car, but based of his response to the offer (as I'm sure quite a few of us would have done), we should keep in mind what our cars are actually worth.

Last edited by squirts11; 04-13-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

I don't know about your market, but here in Atlanta M6 cars with lower miles seem to be going up in value. I bought mine 2.5 years ago for just over 10k and they were plentiful on Autotrader. I checked a few weeks ago and could only find a few within a 100 miles of Atlanta with less than 80k miles and prices were several thousand higher than a few years ago.

Last edited by Fbodyfan; 04-13-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 AM

wanna know something funny? my co-worker has a 99 SS NBM, and I asked to take a look at it cuz I was interested.

I offered him 11k, but he told me he wanted 2100 dollars profit, and 400 wasn't enough in this economy.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:26 AM
Launching!

Angry

Originally Posted by Hlistr_07RR
wanna know something funny? my co-worker has a 99 SS NBM, and I asked to take a look at it cuz I was interested.

I offered him 11k, but he told me he wanted 2100 dollars profit, and 400 wasn't enough in this economy.
We dont need smart asses like you on this forum. Why are you on here anyway, you drive a FORD!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
My buy out price is 16k. I bought it 2 years ago for 14,200 and put over 10k into it. I gotta find the right person to buy my car for 16k. 01' with 56k miles on it. This car is not my investment. It's my FUN weekend car. Some people spend money to go on vacation... I spend mine on car parts. They enjoy their money for a week. I have my parts for life!

I understand why you brushed the 11k away. Only take what you want for it. Not a cent less.
by your sig i cant see where in the hell you have 10k invested in that car?!?!?! I dont have anywhere near that and my mods are in sig.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sunset_Z28/RS
Well it books for just under $10,800 so its definately worth $11K. Also everyone else on this forum must be smoking the same thing as i have seen cars with more miles go for higher price.
if it books for just under 10,800, its worth just under 10,800. it may be wort 11k to you, but unless you find someone who is totally blind to the idea of cars have a mean (average) value. and if the buyer has any brains about it, modded cars usually = abused cars.

but honestly, i know you dont really want to sell your car, and i dont either, thats why when someone asks me how much i want for my car, i tell them i want 15k for my car because thats what i got in it. that includes 9600 i paid for it back in 2006 with 45k miles, and what it cost me to fix it after i wrecked it. i know its worth nowhere near 15k but if im going to sell it, i may as well get out what i got into it, or i may as well keep it.

Originally Posted by thislswon
by your sig i cant see where in the hell you have 10k invested in that car?!?!?! I dont have anywhere near that and my mods are in sig.
probably paid a shop to install everything...
Old 04-15-2010, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

what is the point of this thread??? i woke up and went to class today, ate quiznos, then went to another class. should i start a thread about it??? if i was wanting to sell my car for that price and was offered that, then it'd probably be gone.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

I love quiznos! lol
Old 04-16-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
if it books for just under 10,800, its worth just under 10,800. it may be wort 11k to you, but unless you find someone who is totally blind to the idea of cars have a mean (average) value. and if the buyer has any brains about it, modded cars usually = abused cars.

but honestly, i know you dont really want to sell your car, and i dont either, thats why when someone asks me how much i want for my car, i tell them i want 15k for my car because thats what i got in it. that includes 9600 i paid for it back in 2006 with 45k miles, and what it cost me to fix it after i wrecked it. i know its worth nowhere near 15k but if im going to sell it, i may as well get out what i got into it, or i may as well keep it.
I feel the same way about mine, it took me 2 months to find it & theyre not all that easy to find around here. I had to drive 120 miles one way to go pick it up as well. I can understand why the guy doesnt want to sell it to make a pathetic $400 on it. He paid more than $400 in taxes on it so he isnt really making anything.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

I wish i was in the OPs position. I owe 14k on my Z28 and have to sell it soon because my wife got orders to alaska. Never driven in the snow and i love my Z28 vert too much to skid and slide it into every ditch i come across up there.