General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

not sure what to get...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not sure what to get...

(is this is in the wrong category i apologize)so i sold off my truck and im sitting at about 11k in the bank now so anyway i originally was looking at getting a 1998-2002 ls1 6 speed trans am, well while looking in a lot today i came across a c5 corvette with ls1 6 speed for 15k obo, the idea of getting a corvette never dawned on me at all but im debating about it now, these are my comparisons for me between the 2 (and questions kinda), is the corvette going to be a noticeable difference faster/ better performance over a T/A for the diff in price or is it going to only be a little bit of a diff since its same engine? what other things are different on a c5 then a T/A, and up keep wise is the c5 going to kill me $ wise if something does need to be replaced just cause its a corvette or not really? a c5 wouldn't be any diff to mod then a T/A engine wise correct?. and i would think insurance would roughly be the same or again is it being a corvette going to be ridiculously high, a T/A is already high for me so, just things ive been thinking about and was going to see what other peoples opinions/ideas were, thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Straight line A T/A is just as fast as a C5, now the C5 is going to handle a little better but straight line there going to be equal
Internal engine parts should be the same if I remember correctly but bolt on parts (exhaust, intake, etc) are going to be more costly... The Vette tax.
From what ive heard insurance is less with vettes then V-bodies because less younger kids have them and get in wrecks.

If it were me I would get a vette over a F-body any day of the week if I could afford it, if not I would be happy with a nice F-body as there equally fast and just as much fun
Old 04-15-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 126 Posts

C5 corvettes weight less, have better handling, and are faster in a stright line. Id get the corvette but if you're younger than 25 the insurance will be a bit higher but doable. F-bodys are worth less and are cheaper to insure.

I may be wrong but I do believe the corvette had a different cam producing more hp and torque.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
I may be wrong but I do believe the corvette had a different cam producing more hp and torque.
You were misinformed buddy! They put out the same. Theres a thread on here that shows the dynos of both and they were almost exactly the same. Its an old one but search should still pull it up.

To the OP, the vette does weigh less and is made to corner right out of the box, where the fbody isn't quite as agile but still isn't a slouch by any means. Upgrades will be more costly for the vette, but in this game you gotta pay to play no matter what you drive. If want a vette I say go for it and if you want a fbody I say go for that also. You cant go wrong really. However, the vette does hold it's value much better if you decide to sell it where as the fbody will probably make you cry. For the money, the vette sounds like a good deal given all is well on it, but you can find a nice fbody with the money you have and still have money left for mods after getting one. Straight line performance they are really about the same. The vette will trap higher due to weight, but are kinda tricky to launch with the IRS, but still very duable. So I guess in a since they are "faster" in straightline, but the way I look at is 11.7 at 116 (fbody) compared to an 11.8 at 122 (vette) which one is actually "faster"? Me personally, I'd love to have a vette, but I'm too attached to my camaro to let it go or to just buy a vette and have both. Of course, In my area there arent alot of fbody's running around so to buy a vette would pretty much be like everyone else around here. I get tons of looks and questions on/about my car all the time. Even when vette guys are around so I also think that lack of one or the other would play a part in my decision if I were you also. Good luck on which ever you get. Like I said, you really cant wrong with either IMO.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Corvette cam is slightly different, hence the reason they didn't have EGR even from '97 to '00 when the F-bodies did. Corvette also has a slightly better stock exhaust. But, overall power output is nearly identicle. RWHP will look about the same or favor the F-body, simply because you're losing more power through the vette's IRS over the solid axle in the F-body.

Straight line acceleration will slightly favor the vette (assuming same transmission/same driver skill), since power is basically the same but the C5 is lighter. Handling and braking of the C5 are far superior to an F-body stock for stock.

Insurance should be about the same for a similar aged C5 vs V8 F-body.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:34 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Man if I had that kind of money I'd start looking at LS2 GTO's. A blue one....6 speed...mmmmm.....
Old 04-16-2010, 04:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

C5 vette all the way. You can find some great GTO's though and if you're looking for something you can live with day to day the GTO will be better then an fbody or a vette.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if its a clean low or descent mileage C5 id get it.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 538 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
if its a clean low or descent mileage C5 id get it.
Finally someone said the obvious. What condition could that Corvette be in??? I'm certain you will find a MUCH nicer F-body for that money than any Corvette. You get what you pay for and buying a high mileage Corvette means 'money pit' sooner than later. Now if you can 'steal' a well-maintained Corvette with low miles then that is a no-brainer. I doubt that is the case here.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Even if it has some miles to it, the C5 corvette is a leaps and bounds better car then any Fbody.

If hes looking for a daily driver under 15K you can find GTO's that are in mint condition day in/day out.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:18 PM

yeah it will be my DD and i have to watch insurance, 20 years old atm and if i can afford a vette now can i afford it 6 months from now repair/upkeep costs and what not to, talked to mech friend today and said just putting a clutch in one is intese labor cause of the rear tranny setup and it having "vette tax" to every thing so, i like the way a T/A looks better but i still like the vettes, its actually rather hard to find any T/As in my area let alone good shape ones with a 6 speed, and i dont see any really driving around or vettes so both would be a cool rare car in a way but, im leaning towards a T/A now but will see, thanks guys
Old 04-16-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Either one would be great. Corvette would probably turn more heads. Did you consider the tax and plate cost difference? I don't know what it would be, just something to think about.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue98Z
You were misinformed buddy! They put out the same. Theres a thread on here that shows the dynos of both and they were almost exactly the same. Its an old one but search should still pull it up.
You say I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Corvette cam is slightly different, hence the reason they didn't have EGR even from '97 to '00 when the F-bodies did. Corvette also has a slightly better stock exhaust. But, overall power output is nearly identicle. RWHP will look about the same or favor the F-body, simply because you're losing more power through the vette's IRS over the solid axle in the F-body.
He says I'm right. I'll believe RPM on this one
Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt say you were wrong on the cam size just the hp/tq difference. Read my post and what you said. Not saying your wrong, just misinformed. Not that it matters. It isn't like anything stays stock around here anyways
Old 04-17-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

If all you have is 11k in the bank i'd spend half on a car and save the rest.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt say you were wrong on the cam size just the hp/tq difference. Read my post and what you said. Not saying your wrong, just misinformed. Not that it matters. It isn't like anything stays stock around here anyways
I said the vette has a different cam producing more hp and tq. You said I was misinformed when I was indeed correct. Meaning, you think I'm wrong; when I was right. The vette does have a different cam.

I quoted you again so you sir can re-read what you posted. By saying they produce the same amount of hp and tq. You're clearly stating they are the same.

But like RPM said, due to the IRS, the vettes have more drivetrain loss but they do have a different cam. So indeed, the vette LS1 makes more power at the flywheel but on the dyno they show the same. Please go back to school and continue learning cause you seem to have failed english...
Old 04-19-2010, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Go for the Vette any one can buy a Camaro!!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike Broadway
Go for the Vette any one can buy a Camaro!!

Who the hell said anything about a Camaro?......

Originally Posted by ToxicChevy_393
so anyway i originally was looking at getting a 1998-2002 ls1 6 speed trans am, well while looking in a lot today i came across a c5 corvette
Old 04-21-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

C5 will be a bit quicker...way better overall car w/ a nicer interior.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
way better overall car
I disagree. They aren't really directly comparable cars because the C5 offers no back seat and much less trunk space. Not that these things matter from a performance perspective, but for a person who plans to have this as their only car, it can make a difference. Thus, the F-body may be the "better overall car" for daily life if this is your *only* car.

Then there's the dollar to horsepower ratio. An LS1 F-body is going to give you a lot more acceleration per dollar (and the same level of potential HP increases) than a comparable condition/mileage C5. So I guess the F-body is probably better in that category as well.

I think the only place where the C5 is a better car is in two areas: 1) the materials and craftmanship department (as it should be, considering it's a more expensive car), and 2) handling and braking.

So as far as which is the "better overall car", I think that's very dependant on the goals/priorities/interests of the buyer.