General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Totaled car, what to do with aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone has any idea...
Based on what I have listed up there as parts, how much money would you guys guess I'll be able to get out of this accident and parting things out?

If the insurance refuses to cover damaged aftermarket parts, can I sue the driver for those costs? And, would it be worth it in that I'd have to spend so much time in court and pay a lawyer?

I need to know to figure out what kind of car Ill use to replace my baby.

A friend of mine says he might sell me his 1998 Trans-AM, but I might leave the F-Body world altogether

I'm thinking about getting an Infiniti G35 (I've wanted to buy one of those as my daily driver and have the Z28 as my Fun car eventually anyway), or maybe just some junker that'll save me money on gas will I graduate college next year.

THE ONE BENEFIT I SEE from this whole thing is that I should end up being able to buy a car cash. So I might be able to pick one up that's already souped up in the help wanted section.

[BEGIN RANT]
GOD I'M SO PISSED THAT THIS IGNORANT,NEGLIGENT HIGH SCHOOL CHICK NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE ROAD MADE 5 YEARS OF BUSTING MY *** A WASTE OF TIME.

SHE LEFT NO SKID MARKS BEHIND THE ACCIDENT.....
SO, SHE DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO SLOW DOWN...
SHE WASN'T EVEN LOOKING AT THE D@MN ROAD.

BECAUSE THIS GIRL DECIDED NOT TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD, I LOST THE CAR I BUSTED MY *** AT A JOB FULL-TIME I HATED , WHILE I WAS GOING TO COLLEGE FULL-TIME AS WELL.

I WAS BUILDING BOAT TRAILERS DURING THE DAY AND KEEPING UP A 3.67 GPA TOWARDS MY PHYSICS/ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING BACHELORS.

I worked incredibly hard and gave up having a good time up here for my dream car. Meaning, I had pretty much no life for the past 5 years, I never had time to party at college like I could have. I missed out on so many good times because I was working so hard to keep my grades up and pay for my Z28.

And, of course... Three months after I finally pay it off, and I can start enjoying college like college Penn State Student is supposed to I lose the car altogether.

ALL SAID AND DONE I PUT $20 GRAND INTO THE CAR OVER THESE PAST FIVE YEARS, AND BECAUSE THE NEGLIGENT KID WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION TO THE ROAD I WONT GET HALF OUT OF IT WHAT I PUT INTO IT.

I HAVE OFFICIALLY WASTED FIVE YEARS WORTH OF BUSTING MY *** FOR THIS CAR WHEN I SHOULD HAVE BEEN PARTYING AND ENJOYING COLLEGE....

[/END RANT]

Sorry for the rant, I'm just in shock. I feel like I lost 5 years of the best years of my life because this chick didn't feel it was important to see wjat the cars in front of her were doing.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey ill sell u a 2002 Camaro SS a4 w/ 33,850 miles for $13,000 and it runs 11's w/ simple bolt-on's and gets 22 mph in the city .All u need to do is put your rims on it for everyday use but the ones on there are brand new but there skinnies in the front and Nitto drag radials in the back.U did the right thing buy working hard to pay for your car and go to school @ the same time instead of going out partying but i know it must kill u to loss your car because of some airheaded girl off in lala land.Dont give up on your pashion for cars just build a better one next time.I have been threw 27 Camaro's already and lost my first one to some dingbat girl who drove it up a tree but i rebuilt it and went on to 26 more of them .Try not to let it stress u out to much.Remember its only a car and be glad your OK.

Last edited by blk/slvr02ss; 04-25-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default hmmm

Hey man! Sorry to hear about your car, that sucks!

Have you sold your SLP airbox lid or headers? If not, how much do you want for either, or both? I need the airbox the most right now. Thanks a lot!

-Blake
Old 04-25-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by V68Sweep

Have you sold your SLP airbox lid or headers? If not, how much do you want for either, or both? I need the airbox the most right now. Thanks a lot!

-Blake
Dude, seriously? He hasn't even found out what's happening with the car and you're trying to get parts off it?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Launching!

if u are still looking to get it out of impound and store it, call up your local self storage facilities. call around, and u should be able to rent a space for $45 or so. for like $100 u should be able to rent a 10x20 unit. sorry to hear about the accident. i know a lot of folks end up making out on an accident like this. my dads truck has been hit like 3 times and he has gotten a check and kept walkin. all cosmetic in his case tho.. wish u the best man. at least it wasnt an ultra rare classic or something.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by V68Sweep

-Blake
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Dude, seriously? He hasn't even found out what's happening with the car and you're trying to get parts off it?

Thanks for having my back man here. It's a little early for me to figurte out what I'm doing yet. I haven;t even heard from the claims adjuster.

I'll tell you what:

I got a deal for ya V68Sweep.

Since blk/slvr02ss wants to sell me his 2002 Camaro SS a4 w/ 33,850 miles for $13,000 we can work something out.
I'll sell you the SLP box, FTRA, headers, LS6 Intake, the catback, hell, I'll give you everything that's left of the car in one package.
Just send me $13,000, and we got a deal.

But seriously V68Sweep, thanks for the kind words It'll be a while before I figure out what I'm doing with any of it. But lemme know if you wanna take me up on that offer.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Teching In

So sorry about the car, same thing happened to me in North Carolina on 9/29/09 in a 2000 Red v6 firebird (only a v6) but it was really nice with the appearance package, was sitting at a left turn lane waiting to go into my college and a girl feel asleep and hit the back end at 60mph (really hurt still have back pains). They totaled the car and gave us the top KBB value, thing is we bought it for $5800 and they paid us $8100 and I was able to buy a Trans am, so for us we made out.
First thing there is no reason to tell your insurance company they don't even want to get involved, should be dealt with her insurance company. You can't take anything off the car or it decreases the value except (floor mats, ttop covers stuff like that). Tell her insurance that you don't want a rental car and they will add alittle more money to the value. They will send an adjuster out to look at the car and call back and tell you the value, only way to get your money back for the mods is to have documentation for them, the ones you don't have recipts for your out of luck. If you add up all your receipts and the kbb value of the car and its more than what they offered then you need to get a lawyer. Then its up to you if you want to buy the car back at a fraction of the price, this depends if you have a place to put it, you would be able to part it out or use the parts on another ls1 then sell the wrecked body back to a junk yard.
Once you settle for the price of the car then you have three years for doctor visits (at least in north carolina) If you had any kind of wip lash make sure you go to a doctor and start doing physical therapy, you will have to pay out of pocket for the costs but once you feel good again and settle with the insurance they will pay you 4 times what you paid in doctor bills + gas used + time and suffereing. Will probably need a lawyer also for this. Also there is no sueing her only sueing her insurance company and it rarely goes to that. Good luck, im still going to doctors my self and am going to squeeze every last penny that I can.
Shes lucky that she was a girl that hit me because if it was a guy I probably would of knocked him out I was pissed and had to just walk away. Sorry It happend, It sucks and good luck!

Last edited by 198firebird; 04-25-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
if u are still looking to get it out of impound and store it, call up your local self storage facilities. call around, and u should be able to rent a space for $45 or so. for like $100 u should be able to rent a 10x20 unit. sorry to hear about the accident. i know a lot of folks end up making out on an accident like this. my dads truck has been hit like 3 times and he has gotten a check and kept walkin. all cosmetic in his case tho.. wish u the best man. at least it wasnt an ultra rare classic or something.
I might look into that. The real problem is, it's comin to the end of the semester here at college, so I am out of money. I don't even have $45 to store the car if I wanna pay rent this month.

I mean, yea, my car wasn't a classic, or even the nicest newer Z28, but I put a lot of work into makin it mine, and I think it looked I finally had it exactly like I wanted it. I just needed to finish putting the interior back together.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

THIS IS SOMETHING I REALLY NEED TO KNOW.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION:

The aftermarket parts are not covered by my insurance company because I never told them I added anything.

Is the driver of the other care still responsible for the damage she caused to the aftermarket parts?

It seems to me that she should be, whether or not my insurance knew about them, this woman's negligent driving led directly to my aftermarket parts being destroyed.

Technically she is responsible for the damage caused to the parts, but I'm thinking I might actually have to try to sue them to get them to cover any damage to aftermarket parts.

I'd rather not take them to court and deal with all this hassle, pay for a lawyer, spend months waiting, etc.

Do you think I'm gonna have to try to sue these people to cover the damage?

Last edited by vMaster0fPuppets; 04-25-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

It really all depends on what kind of insurance that they had. My brother bought a BRAND NEW Camry and not a month goes by and hes sitting stopped and someone rearended him and they had crappy insurance. The most they would give him was around $350 telling him to go to some BS body shop, while all the quotes he got from reputable shops were in the $6-700 range. So he added the 2-300 hundred to get the car fixed correctly.

IF their insurance is good they might cover some of it, but for the most part insurances are tight asses when it comes to paying out, so if you have that much damaged in aftermarket parts you will probable end up taking her to court over it.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

first thing is first you need to buy the car back asap. shouldnt cost you more than 1000 for it plus you'll still get the difference.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes don't worry about where your gonna put it just get it back. For now you may have to use some of the money you get for storage or getting it moved but it'll be worth it. Then get another Camaro roller and swap over useable parts It's alot of work but you then may end up ahead of the game with it if you do it right. Just some thoughts. The other owners insurance should cover that stuff but who knows. May need small claims court to get the money for those if you don't buy the car back.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

I was in a similiar accident with my truck, but the person merged into me from a different lane and messed up my ground effects, hood, custom paint, aftermarket rims and front bumper and they didn't have insurance (I also didn't have insurance on my aftermarket parts), but my insurance went after them and paid for everything so i had really good coverage. If they have good insurance i have a feeling your going to have to fight for it but you should be able to get back to where you once were, but it might take a lawyer, but document any pain and suffering along the way (along with any receipts for anything that you have to do because of this accident and time you wasted on this, so I was told once to get a calender and document everything you have to deal with the accident on it) so if the insurance company doesn't offer what you want you can present it all to a lawyer just my .02 here's my truck pic to show you all the aftermarket they had to fix

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...olorado131.jpg

Good luck with everything
Jason
Old 04-27-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

OK.
I got the car taken to a shop that apparently specializes in getting the most value for totaled cars. He told me to find cars for sale that are like mine, but I'm having trouble finding any.

I need to see what a 1999 Camaro Z28 with Leather, T-Tops, Power Windows, Power Driver-seat, Monsoon (or whatever they call the Camaro version) Stereo System, Power Truck, CD Player, Automatic, with around 105,000 miles.

I did notice some similar cars on autotrader going for around $8k, but I'm sure those were the people who vastly overestimated the value of their cars. Anyway, does anyone have an idea of the average value of a car like mine? Or have anywhere to point me other than autotrader and cars.com?

Last edited by vMaster0fPuppets; 04-27-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: emphesis
Old 04-27-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

show pixes your vehicle crashed>>
Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
I did notice some similar cars on autotrader going for around $8k, but I'm sure those were the people who vastly overestimated the value of their cars. Anyway, does anyone have an idea of the average value of a car like mine? Or have anywhere to point me other than autotrader and cars.com?
Sounds like 8k would be a fair value Play those listings to your advantage.

And yes, it is still called monsoon.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
show pixes your vehicle crashed>>
OK you Sadist Here's visable evidence of my pain:

Old 04-27-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

omg thats a loss! gd luck man! mail me ur rims j\k
Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
omg thats a loss! gd luck man! mail me ur rims j\k
If the rims aren't damaged, I'm probably gonna be selling them. I can;t tell if there salvagable, and I might have to rechrome them, but I might be able to get ther insurance or negligent idiot who crashed into me to pay for that. I paid 2 grand for those wheels and I loved them.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so sorry about your loss. Thats looks bad. at least your okay though...i would try and buy the car back if you can. I"m like you, i freak out when crazy drivers get around me

Quick Reply: Totaled car, what to do with aftermarket parts