General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Totaled car, what to do with aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got a rent-a-car and the mechanic said hes gonna push my total car value through in the "Actual Cost Method," as Opposed to "NADA, or "RED BOOK Value" or whatever ways they can do it. SO apperently I'm gonna get the most possibl out of the deal.

So far he advices me not buying back the car for some reason, but I need to get everything here sorted out before I think about that.

I talked to a lawyer today.

The appraiser is supposed to look at my car Fri, so I'm just hoping for the best now.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

My biggest problem is I took the guage and center console apart over the summer to wire some **** into the car and tuern the kights to blue LEDs.

I need to get the plastic piece that goes in the center console, the plastic piece that goes around the gauge bezel and the plastic piece that goes around the radio, before the appraiser looks at my car.

I think All these pieces are the same on 93-2002 Camaros and Trans-Ams.

I have the pieces but there back home 200 miles away, so I can;t get them before the appraiser gets here.

I need to hope to borrow these plastic parts off someones Camaro or find one at a junk yard before the appraiser gets here.

This whole process has just taken sooooo much time. I have finals next week, and homework due tomorrow. This all sucks man.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Hope all goes well man, keep us updated.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

I'm home now grabbing all the parts and printing out reciept. I'm wondering if I should take the RS body kit back to school with me and try to put it back on the car, if it'll make the tottalled value of the car worth more?

Anyone know if its worth bringing them up to the car?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

WOW.

I put so much time and effort into this car and its so depressing to see its all wasted. I have 100 pages of reciepts infront of me. Looking at each one I remember the time spent researchint if it was worth getting, the time spent installing, the time spent debating which brand to buy, the time spent getting before and after pictures.

DAMNIT I'm so miserable now.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

I feel for you man, just look at this as another opportunity to spring into something better.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of hoops the insurance people have to jump threw if you want to buy it back. A buddy of mine got hit in his 1995 z28 and they totaled it, he refused to give them the car back. Apparently, WV law says they cannot take your personal property. He said he had to fight with them, but one call from a lawyer and they let him keep it. He got almost 5k for the car (somehow) and got to keep it.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

I got hit bags popped and I fixed it i will NEVER get rid of my car I love it to much.
The thing I did was I found all used parts and did the most I could to keep cost down.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

I got hit bags popped and I fixed it i will NEVER get rid of my car I love it to much.
The thing I did was I found all used parts and did the most I could to keep cost down.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pewterfbody

O ogod, sorry man.

You kjnow I know how you feel. I don't wanna get rid of the car, but my friend is thiknin of sellling me his NBN TA with the WS6 hood, so if its beyond repair I might hope on that.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

according to your profile you are from Pa. Did the accident happen in Pa? Look at your car insurance policy and see if you have the tort. Alot of insurance companies offer cheaper insurance if you opt out of tort in Pa. If you have the tort it is easier to sue to get your pain and suffering.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Well i crashed my t/a last year. It was a low mileage car but it was totaled. i ended up buying it back from the ins. co. for about 1200 bucks. I ended up parting it out and making about 7K off the parts but i had a WS6 t/a with black interior so it pulls a small premium as you know. Which in turn gave me the money to buy my current car. Just a thought. Although parting out is a PITA its worth it in the end. even though you have a high mileage motor you can still get 1500-2500 out of your motor/tranny. Just my .02
Old 05-03-2010, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

when the insurance compant takes it jus buy it back for a cheaper price then sell the parts
Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by reelnauti
according to your profile you are from Pa. Did the accident happen in Pa? Look at your car insurance policy and see if you have the tort. Alot of insurance companies offer cheaper insurance if you opt out of tort in Pa. If you have the tort it is easier to sue to get your pain and suffering.
I called about that. Apparently I have limited tort meaning there only responsible for like lost wages or somethings. Does me no goo,d I'm in school right now so I don't have a job. And it doesn't look like I'll have one over the summer either, because I've sent out around 30 applications for internships and had no responses.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

you're not gonna get all these aftermarket parts replaced, it doesnt work like that. buy the car back & part it out.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NBM.Z28™
you're not gonna get all these aftermarket parts replaced, it doesnt work like that. buy the car back & part it out.
I don't know exactly what your trying to say. The adjuster wants receipts and whatnot, because she says it'll up the value I get back from the car.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
I don't know exactly what your trying to say. The adjuster wants receipts and whatnot, because she says it'll up the value I get back from the car.
what I'm saying is even if you have the reciepts you still won't get the full value back for what you paid. maybe a few hundred bucks extra.

Say I have a '00 Z28 with 200k miles on it & the KBB is around $3k. The car is modded to hell & I have all the receipts totalling over $15k. I get t-boned & the car is totalled. You really think I'm gonna get $15-18k for a 10 yr old Z28 with 200k miles just because I have reciepts for aftermarket parts?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the same thing happened to my GTA, i only got 10% back on my mods ($300). You weren't (seriously)hurt, thatis the important thing. When i get to the point of my life where i can afford to do major mods, my *** is getting "Agreed value" coverage incase this **** happens again.

Sorry for your loss man. It sux, i KNO.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

In '06 I was rearended in my '00 Z28, which then had 42k miles & valued at $14k. It did $16k in damage, but I talked the adjuster into taking the air bags off the appraisel so it would be under the value & thus the car wouldn't be totalled. I was able to get my car fixed like new & maintain a clear title.

But with the economy killing the value of F-bodys & your car being high-mileage it's more than likely totalled.

My advie would be, if you don't mind having a salvage title on your car, explain to the adjuster the money you have dumped into your car(reciepts of mods) to get the maximum value on an appraisal. This way you get a premium for your vehicle from the insurance company. The you should be able to buy the car back & get it fixed with the money you recieved AND still have a few $k left over.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

This is my car now i have the stock headlight back in it.

Quick Reply: Totaled car, what to do with aftermarket parts