General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How do you sell a car that you still have financed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you sell a car that you still have financed?

I know that every lender is different, but let's say I want to sell my car that I still have financed to a private party, what is the general way to go about that?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Teching In

meet with the prospective buyer and if you guys agree to a price then you both go to your bank that has the loan and handle the transaction there. I did it when buying an 02 dmax, went real smooth.

keep in mind that if you are selling it for less then you owe, they will want the remaining balance right then (as far as i know) and if you are in the positive, they will probably cut you a check.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well if the guy wants to finance it as well you might have to fill out a title release form at your bank allowing the new bank to take the title over once all the paperwork has been filled out.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mr Bowtie
meet with the prospective buyer and if you guys agree to a price then you both go to your bank that has the loan and handle the transaction there. I did it when buying an 02 dmax, went real smooth.

keep in mind that if you are selling it for less then you owe, they will want the remaining balance right then (as far as i know) and if you are in the positive, they will probably cut you a check.

That is how I bought my z28. . . The guy I got it from owed like 4 Grand and I gave him almost 7. He just pocketed the rest.

I will still never have a car financed, if I can't buy a car cash only. . I can't afford it.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samson_420
I will still never have a car financed, if I can't buy a car cash only. . I can't afford it.
I feel the same way. I've never financed a car purchase.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sometimes your financing company may or may not be local, so you can go to the buyer's bank and they will take care of everything. I sold my mustang that way. Went to his bank, sold it for what I owed on it, signed a few papers and left. His bank, Wells Fargo, took care of the rest.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZigZagZ
I feel the same way. I've never financed a car purchase.
there is nothing wrong with financing. unless there is no way you could even handle the monthly payments along with your other bills.

i was 17 when i bought my car. it was 13k (33k mile ss) i put 4 down and took a loan out for the rest and had it paid off in a year.

Quick Reply: How do you sell a car that you still have financed?