General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Anything to look for on a used Z28? 911!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010 | 12:55 PM

Default Anything to look for on a used Z28? 911!!!

Im going to be dispatching my wife and father in law to pick up a camaro on sunday in Oregon, my family is located in Tacoma. That being said they dont know what to look for as far as things that are out of place.

Like if your buying an older car you check the frame, torque box's, stress cracks, anything in particuler to avoid on a 00 Z28? Its a 6spd, has exhaust not sure what type as in cat back or header back, 88k miles, black, non t top, gears, its only 6 grand so really i cant pick it apart to much.

Just want to make sure its not a bucket and im going to be out 6 grand of my hard earned cash ( im in iraq right now )

Thanks everyone
Old 06-19-2010 | 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the price thats pretty good. Other than normal stuff you would always check, I would say to make sure the axle isn't leaking badly, and make sure the coolant is orange and not green.
Old 06-19-2010 | 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it starts and shifts through all the gears on the highway without issue, buy it! Most everything else can be rebuilt, remade, or re-ordered to get it in good shape.
Old 06-20-2010 | 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Wait until you come back. No need to rush into this purchase. YOU know what to look for but don't expect others to, or be able to teach them. Why open yourself to disappointment when you return? If this was a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity to buy a 10,000 mile MINT LS1, then that would be different. Half the fun of purchasing a car for yourself is the journey and search. Patience!
Old 06-20-2010 | 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

don't be too turned off by high mileage either. i bought mine with 80k and it runs very strong. if you check the mileage threads you'll see that these engines will last a very long time when well maintained.
Old 06-20-2010 | 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Wait until you come back. No need to rush into this purchase. YOU know what to look for but don't expect others to, or be able to teach them. Why open yourself to disappointment when you return? If this was a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity to buy a 10,000 mile MINT LS1, then that would be different. Half the fun of purchasing a car for yourself is the journey and search. Patience!

I totally agree. . . . Unless the person that is looking at the car knows and cares about the car being purchased as much as you do. . . . I would say that is close to no one else.