General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Weird headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird headlight issue

My current 99 trans am has some weird headlight issue it seems.

Every time I use the remote to lock or unlock the car the headlights pop up and then close... Now i could deal with that, but the thing that is driving me crazy is that on the driver side headlight...

the headlight motor is still working once the headlight closes and makes the most annoyong loud noise in the process (like its further trying to close it)

Same thing happens once i turn off my lights after night driving... lights go down and the headlight motor keeps working for a solid 3-4 seconds

Having owned 5 trans ams to this day, i have never dealt with anything like that before...

Its pretty tough to explain but i was wondering if anyone else experienced that, and what might be the solution to the issue? I dont think the motor needs replacing because it seems to open/close the headlight fine...
Old 07-05-2010, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like the headlamp motors gear is stripped, its an easy fix though.

Manually raise the problem headlamp up, disconnect the headlamp linkage (I think its a 10mm), pop the linkage off, rotate the motor 180 degrees, reinstall linkage, manually lower the headlamp and you should be good to go.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...s-go-here.html

Check out this link. It should answer all your questions and show you how to eliminate the problem.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fwiw I agree that it sounds like your headlight's gear is stripped, but rotating or swapping the gear isn't always the solution. It may have stripped from excess movement/play in the assembly. I have heard of this happening as a result of the gear piece moving too far away from the worm gear, causing even the newer brass or aluminum ones to strip. I personally replaced the whole motor and kept the old one for the backup gear. Mine however, was not making the same noise as yours seems to be, and in all honesty when considering the price and ease of the job, it is worth you attempting the gear rotate or swap fix before replacing the motor. Just something to consider if the gear change doesn't work or last very long for you.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx guys, I will try all of the above
Old 07-05-2010, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep need new headlight motor lol
Old 07-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Same thing happened to me. Caused other issues as well. Silly ones . It seems if the headlights have issues so do other things. Like how you can turn your fog lights on with the headlights down. Could not do that once the motor went. But anyways, get a rebuild kit, one with the brass gear. They are like $40-50. Super easy to fix. Get two as well. You never know when the other one will go.