General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in the rain

Anybody else love driving their F-body in the rain? I'm not sure why but I get fired up when it rains just to take the Camaro out.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove it in the rain once several years ago but don't really remember much.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I take zero pleasure in driving any car in any sort of bad weather. I enjoy warm, sunny days and clear nights.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Nope... I drive in the rain all the time (car is my DD). It is boring in the rain because you can't use it.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do I enjoy it? no...

Do I drive in the rain? All the time... My SS is my DD.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I like windows open, rain sucks
Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
Nope... I drive in the rain all the time (car is my DD). It is boring in the rain because you can't use it.
^ Same here. It sucks. I'll be driving and think hey I can gun it right here, OH WAIT NOPE, I'll just spin out...
Old 06-02-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

Nope. I prefer sunshine cause I don't drive the z in the rain. Its a little pointless sense you can't get the power down. But I can see where you'd be having fun; around corners.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Right now, I hate it. I have something going on with my rear suspension and my traction SUCKS when it is even mildly wet out. I have to feather the gas when starting off from a stop, especially when turning from a stop (like turning left at a stop light) or else it'll spin and go sideways on me.

I wish I knew what the problem was, this just started happening kind of all of the sudden. Yeah, these cars can be touchy in wet weather, but this is beyond touchy. This is extreme
Old 06-02-2010, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

Absolutely hate driving in the rain
Old 06-02-2010, 10:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Right now, I hate it. I have something going on with my rear suspension and my traction SUCKS when it is even mildly wet out. I have to feather the gas when starting off from a stop, especially when turning from a stop (like turning left at a stop light) or else it'll spin and go sideways on me.

I wish I knew what the problem was, this just started happening kind of all of the sudden. Yeah, these cars can be touchy in wet weather, but this is beyond touchy. This is extreme
Are you sure it's not just bad tires? Most suspension related problems would do something other than just deliver poor rain traction. Are you also getting any wheel hop, clunks or other strange noises?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i hate anything that falls from the sky. snow, rain, sleet, hail, ash (california, gotta love it). and since i hate it so much i won't drive the TA in it. that's what my beater sunfire is for.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Are you sure it's not just bad tires? Most suspension related problems would do something other than just deliver poor rain traction. Are you also getting any wheel hop, clunks or other strange noises?
Yeah, it clunks quite a bit. I've been trying to track it down but haven't succeeded yet. I get some wheel hop on dry pavement if I'm not careful, especially when turning from a stop.

I thought about the tires, except it just suddenly started to be really bad over a week period of time or so. Started shortly after the clunking started so I feel it is all related somehow. Rotated the tires (fronts had a little better tread than rears) no difference. I thought it was the LCA bushings so I replaced those, and while it firmed things up it didn't fix the clunking or traction problems at all. The panhard bushings look pretty dry and are cracked a bit, so that could be making noise, but would that affect traction that much?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't care one way or the other but I dislike the dirtyness that comes with driving in the rain. These cars are not as bad as some for wet traction, my little old conquest with all of 140rwhp was terrible, the turbo hit like a mack truck so it would suddenly spin as soon as it spooled at like 2000rpm. That thing was downright scary.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

worst thing to do in an fbody besides driving on ice...
Old 06-03-2010, 01:27 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Yeah, it clunks quite a bit. I've been trying to track it down but haven't succeeded yet. I get some wheel hop on dry pavement if I'm not careful, especially when turning from a stop.

I thought about the tires, except it just suddenly started to be really bad over a week period of time or so. Started shortly after the clunking started so I feel it is all related somehow. Rotated the tires (fronts had a little better tread than rears) no difference. I thought it was the LCA bushings so I replaced those, and while it firmed things up it didn't fix the clunking or traction problems at all. The panhard bushings look pretty dry and are cracked a bit, so that could be making noise, but would that affect traction that much?
As I was reading your post, my very first thought was LCAs. Then I read further, Guess that's not it.

If a panhard bar is loose it will definitely clunk, but it shouldn't effect traction that drastically (at least in my experiance).

Have you inspected the shocks and shock mounts? Shock or LCA related issues are the two biggest things that stand out in my mind, based on your description.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:59 AM
11 Second Club

OP, if my car is dirty, driving in the rain is awesome. Only thing however, is it never rains in AZ :/ And forget about driving during monsoon season. Light-Medium/Light rain blows through, then a dust storm cakes into all the little crevices you didn't think were reachable to the outside world. I had dust caking inside my hatch

Also, my car is pulled off daily driving duty, so it no longer matters at that point.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Launching!

I love driving in the rain and how water drips down from the t-top seals onto my thigh. I especially love it when I bring a date along too.... it's not embarrassing at all when I hand her a towel and she gives me a funny look
Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

It sounds like your limited slip isnt working right and both of your wheels are turning at the same speed. Check the fluid in the rearend and you might try adding a little bit of limited slip additive.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I love driving in the rain and how water drips down from the t-top seals onto my thigh. I especially love it when I bring a date along too.... it's not embarrassing at all when I hand her a towel and she gives me a funny look
HAHAHA awesome. I personally despise driving in the rain in this car and it's my DD. It rained last night and this morning I got to a stop light next to a celica that thought he was fast. Took off normal until he punched it. I punched it and spun the wheels . Hit a dry patch in the middle of an intersection and took off like a bat out of hell though.

In short though, no not a fan of the rain or anything else that falls from the sky. Especially animal related.... freakin bird.

Quick Reply: Driving in the rain