General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Why does the new Camaro weigh so much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why does the new Camaro weigh so much?

This car in SS trim weighs almost 4,000 LBS!!!!!!

The biggest change compared to my 99 at 3500 LBS is its independent rear end. Is that the difference?

I drove a rental V6 a few months ago and it is a BIG car but that is still a huge weight increase.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Standard features, 27 thousand air bags, chassis reinforcement to meet new government crash test ratings, the list goes on and on. The problem is the car is on too big of a platform. The Gen 6 will be a much smaller car. When you have all these things I listed the only way to keep the weight down is to make the car smaller. They didn't have that choice when they designed the 5th gen.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FMX05
The Gen 6 will be a much smaller car. When you have all these things I listed the only way to keep the weight down is to make the car smaller..
So if the 5th gen is based in looks to the 1st gen and the 6th gen is smaller does this mean it will be based in looks to a 2nd gen since it was smaller compared to the 1st gen it would be awesome if the based the 6th gen on the 2nd gen or just start from scratch on the 6th gen.
Although can you imagine a 2nd gen based modern camaro with lets say a LSA powered z/28 variant.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of that weight shouldn't be there IMHO. The new Mustang weighs less but doesn't have IRS.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the camaro should weigh in around 3500...but yea its WAY to big of a car. I know it handles much better than previous gens but its still far to much car to accelerate stop and turn for a "sports" car
Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FMX05
Standard features, 27 thousand air bags, chassis reinforcement to meet new government crash test ratings, the list goes on and on. The problem is the car is on too big of a platform. The Gen 6 will be a much smaller car. When you have all these things I listed the only way to keep the weight down is to make the car smaller. They didn't have that choice when they designed the 5th gen.
That's if GM lasts long enough to produce the 6th Gen. Or is it in the works already? No, it can't be...

I don't think the size of it really has to do too much with the weight issue. I think the problem is in the safety regulations and reinforced chassis.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
I think the problem is in the safety regulations and reinforced chassis.
They should include a mass produced rollcage already built into the car, it is a "sports" car after all so the owners are going to end up putting one up later on.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
They should include a mass produced rollcage already built into the car, it is a "sports" car after all so the owners are going to end up putting one up later on.
Yeah, I wonder if it's possible to to lower that thing to 3000 lbs...
Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
Yeah, I wonder if it's possible to to lower that thing to 3000 lbs...
I think their is a whole fiberglass kit for the new 5th gen it includes front clip, hood, roof, doors, quarter panels, and rear lid. Although if I had this much fiberglass in my car I would feel safer with at least an 8 point protecting me.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

The car is all sheet metal,lot more safety features,bigger brakes and rims.I sold mine after 1yr because i did not like the way it felt and it had 506 HP but just did not feel like it and it was my 27 Camaro and i like my 02 SS a4 a lot better.Well maybe they will get it right the next time.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Aren't they coming out with a LSA powered Z/28
Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Aren't they coming out with a LSA powered Z/28
Yup, for 2012 but they are coming out with a different platform also smaller and lighter i here but we will see.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Launching!

2012?! Damn I need to get going with my engine swap then so by then I'll have a chance to take them on at the track as soon as they pop out of the dealerships.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The weight of the car has a lot to do with the constantly increasing safety standards by the Department of Transportation. More standard airbags and big ******* wheels are the two biggest weight additions, not to mention the sheer size of the car (compare it side by side with a 4th Gen).

As mentioned, the 6th Gen will be smaller/lighter, as it will be based on the new Alpha platform (as opposed to the current Zeta platform). You could further speculate that it will have a version of the rumored LS5 - the direct injection 5.5L V8.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

So if the 5th gen is based in looks to the 1st gen and the 6th gen is smaller does this mean it will be based in looks to a 2nd gen since it was smaller compared to the 1st gen it would be awesome if the based the 6th gen on the 2nd gen or just start from scratch on the 6th gen.
Although can you imagine a 2nd gen based modern camaro with lets say a LSA powered z/28 variant.
I believe you mean for the 6th. gen. to be based on the 3rd. gen. cause the 2nd. gen. was the heaviest until the 5th. gen. came along.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 PM
FormerVendor

The Camaro is heavy for mainy reasons. The main factory is it's on the Zeta platform which is a solid sedan platform. The 4000lbs G8 is on the same frame as are a bunch of other heavy cars. It's a great solid frame but it's heavy. All the new saftey standards hurt as well but every other car has to deal with those problems to. The sheet metal body isn't doing an favors either. VFN makes a fiberglass kit if anyone is interested let me know, I can get you a deal on that. I'd feel like a jerk gutting one though, still extremely nice cars. Best bet is get some fiberglass on her, maybe some lighter wheels and add some more horsepower.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Banned

I think the camaro should weigh in around 3500...but yea its WAY to big of a car. I know it handles much better than previous gens but its still far to much car to accelerate stop and turn for a "sports" car
There are luxury sports cars weigh in this same area, so its really a non-issue.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i wish it was lighter but its a very solid and refined vehicle.

i wouldnt buy one for drag racing though but alot of owners have them running strong.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i wish it was lighter but its a very solid and refined vehicle.

i wouldnt buy one for drag racing though but alot of owners have them running strong.
I agree, they definitely aren't my first choice for a drag car, but don't they perform reasonably well in the road course?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

I think their is a whole fiberglass kit for the new 5th gen it includes front clip, hood, roof, doors, quarter panels, and rear lid. Although if I had this much fiberglass in my car I would feel safer with at least an 8 point protecting me.
TRUE! my friend has a new camaro and he had it fiberglassed or actually carbon fibered from hood to tail! it felt ALOT faster but she didnt last long till he drove it into a parked truck at 100 MPH he walked out with no single scratch tho but car was totalled lol

Quick Reply: Why does the new Camaro weigh so much?