General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Rubberized Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rubberized Undercoating

Do people coat the underside of their cars with this coating to prevent rust on the underbody? I want to prevent rust from developing anymore then it already has. Can I coat the whole underside of my car with this or is their other options?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could move to California.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't have emissions here...soooo no way in hell.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:46 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You can do what I've been doing on my '69 Charger: sanding, grinding down as much of the rust away as possible and then treating it with an anti-rusting paint like Zero-Rust or POR-15.

Undercoatings are bad because at some point the coating will start to develop small leaks, cracks, etc. which will have the ironic effect of allowing moisture in and then sealing it in, allowing corrosion and rust to take place and then you won't even be able to see it happening...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Teching In

I cleaned up and sanded down any rust on my undercarriage, then coated the whole thing with rubberized undercoating. The undercarriage looks awesome, looks like a new car! Ive seen my new cars come to my shop with this stuff already applied. Im still gonna get the car Krowned, so I think with those 2 things done she will never rust!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bpalma
I cleaned up and sanded down any rust on my undercarriage, then coated the whole thing with rubberized undercoating. The undercarriage looks awesome, looks like a new car! Ive seen my new cars come to my shop with this stuff already applied. Im still gonna get the car Krowned, so I think with those 2 things done she will never rust!
I mean is rubberized undercoating safe to spray on brake lines, fuel lines, etc?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Teching In

I personally did not rubberize the brake and fuel lines... just in case those did start rusting id like to see it before they spring a leak. I just sprayed the lines with Krown, there is good shape already so I don't think they will deteriorate much more with rust proofing on them.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

I wonder how undercoating the car in POR-15 would work ?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by myk
You can do what I've been doing on my '69 Charger: sanding, grinding down as much of the rust away as possible and then treating it with an anti-rusting paint like Zero-Rust or POR-15.

Undercoatings are bad because at some point the coating will start to develop small leaks, cracks, etc. which will have the ironic effect of allowing moisture in and then sealing it in, allowing corrosion and rust to take place and then you won't even be able to see it happening...

+2 on cracking and allowing water to sit in
Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,246 Posts

It doesn't seem to make much difference really. I've had cars both ways, and if you drive them in the snow/salt, they will rust, undercoating or not. These cars are low to the ground and the undercarrige picks up enough salt spray to be harmful with or without the undercoating.

My solution was to just buy another F-body that someone else had already driven in the salt and use that for daily driving. Keeps my garage queen in mint condition.

Quick Reply: Rubberized Undercoating