General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Best way to store an engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to store an engine

So I've come to the realization that I may not be able to finish building my motor before I move to Georgia in January. I may be able to, but am uncertain at this point. Ive never had to store an engine before, so any tips would be appreciated. It will be stored from Jan 2011-April 2011. It is an iron 5.3 block, thats been punched to 3.898, with forged Mahle pistons, fresh Clevite H rod and main bearings, Brand new EPS cam, Clevite cam bearings etc. Its a fresh motor. I do have the heads I'm going to run at this point, but I'm sending them off the WCCH before I slap them on. After that I'll just have to buy an intake and odds and ends stuff, but trying to save money for while I'm down there and build this motor at the same time Is proving difficult. Anyhow, it will be stored inside my house if I have to because I'm afraid of condensation out in the shop, and I do have an engine stand as well. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

I would fill it full of oil completely with cheap it, to the top..... Seems like WD40 or any other lubricant wears off.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the plugs, spray WD40 into the cylinders, put the plugs back in and loosen the valves.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WD40? If the engine never sees moisture i would be ok with this. However, have you ever seen how fast something with WD40 rusts when it gets wet?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Im hoping it sees none, i dont want to take any chances with it. Like I said if it has to get stored for a couple months it will stay inside the house, I'm afraid the shop will sweat.