General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

very bad day today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default very bad day today.

Well I was gettin off work early today. I was on the highway and a dumptruck gets in front of me and of course it was dropping gravel and hitting my car . So I let off and got back atleast 5 to 6 car lenghts. Then all of a sudden a piece of cardboard almost the size of my car flys out of the back of the dumptruck and goes straight up in the air. I almost lock up the brakes but just couldnt avoid it. It landed wright on the nose of my car. I start to get on the brakes because it was folded up my hood and it broke loose and slid up and covored my whole front winshield. I cant see anything trying to get over it slides off and catchs on my side mirror I had to role the window down to push it off while still in traffic. I finally get it off. So I chased this guy down I was pi$$ed I get behind the truck and call the cops and it had no license plates. So he finally gets off I follow him we stopped at the gas station. And I blew a gasket I had the cops on the way then he called them on me for verbal assault. The cops basically told me that they couldnt do anything because they didnt see it. The truck was basically empty just had a little gravel left in it. My car is scratched to hell on the nose all up the hood and on the mirror and the back quarter panel. So I get is insurance info atleast but im sure I will probally get the shaft on it though. Sorry for the long story just venting
Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Damn dude that sucks.. Sorry to hear. Coulda Been worse i guess.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you cant get the claim in to his insurance, you can probably get a no fault claim through yours which will not affect your rates.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

The hood marks didnt show on the camara
Old 09-30-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

get an estimate and submit to the responsible parties ins. carrier.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this man, I feel for you. But you have to be thankful your still alive. Thats the most important thing. I swear to god I wish trucks had their own fukin highways.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that really sucks man. something similar happened to me yesterday. i drove my car from fairfield, ca to san diego to store my car for a few days since i'm moving down there. well on the way to my mother-in-law's uncle's house, i was following her (since i've never been there) and she ran over a board in the road. it flew up and and hit my front bumber and put a silver dollar sized chip in the paint. i was so pissed (not at my Mother-in-law, just that it happened). but i've been needing to get the front bumber repainted with all the rock chips anyway so it didn't take too long for me to get over it. i told the mom-in-law that it could've been worse and according to your story it could have. hope you get it all sorted out and you don't have to come out of pocket too much if not at all.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I had a Saturn years ago a truck in front of me went over a piece of plywood that ended up standing up on end and I slammed into on the nose couldn't see **** and when I finally pulled over I had to push it off. Luckily I didn't care about the car but man was I worried about getting rear ended
Old 09-30-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

should of shot him and drove away,if the cops didnt see it they couldnt do anything right?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Couple of things

A. Stop riding people's *** and this kind of stuff is less likely to happen
B. He called the cops for verbal assault? Sounds like he was a punk
Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

I would have flipped **** too but good luck bro!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Teching In

I feel for yah man. Everytime I get on the hiway in my car and there's a dump truck I get in front of the stupid thing.

If I take my car to work I usually take all the back roads. what a pain.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Here in MI, if something comes off a truck and hits your car without touching the ground first, insurance will cover it. If it hits the ground first it is considered a road obstacle or whatever. This is how it was explained to me anyway. Good luck. Really sucks.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

I hate following trucks like that. I was in my dd last week and had a big rock fly out bounce off the road and hit the hood. Luckily, I wasn't in the TA.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Teching In

cops dont do anything but write tickets for stupid **** like 5mph over
Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

omg i thought we had another powersteering hose cut...haha
Old 10-01-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

things like this make me want to put a camera and dvr in my car. Then the police can't say they didn't see it happen
Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
omg i thought we had another powersteering hose cut...haha
x2 LMFAO
Old 10-01-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hit a bale of hay that a farmer dropped off the back of his pickup truck a few years ago and it DESTROYED my bumper. The guy was on the side of the road trying to get it and while i tried to call the local cops and got the wrong department (i called the local city and it was outside the limits so the county was responsible) the guy calls a buddy of his on the county police force who comes out and tells me that the farmer isn't liable for the damages because it was on the road when i hit it and not flying through the air.

i didn't buy it and neither did my insurance company and they ended up going to arbitration over it. they ended up going 50/50 cause i told the cop i didn't see a car in front of me swerve around it after he rounded the curve and the cop wrote it that i was following too close um yeah 10 car lengths is way too close isn't it? he totally misinterpreted what i said.

anyway here's a few pics of that damage. the whole bumper had to be replaced to the tune of $970 including paint and install. i initially had to pay $500 but later got 1/2 my deductible back and then promptly lowered my deductible on comp to $250.

and that bumper had only been there for ~ 14 months because a full service car wash drove the car into something the year before in AZ and unfortunately i didn't see it until after i had left. that one cost me $500 and the damage was ~ $1500 since they decided to replace the bumper and the crush pad. the bumper could have probably been salvaged but it had been painted once before so they didn't want to risk it flaking off.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:47 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What freaking nightmares, man. This is why I DD the Mustang and not the F-cars...