General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What should I do with my Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What should I do with my Camaro?

So I need to explain a bit first.

From about the time that I was 8 or 9 I’ve wanted a Camaro. I originally wanted a 1987 IROCZ, then a 1993 Z28 and I finally set my sights on a 1998 Super Sport. Throughout my childhood my best friend and I would always talk about the cool muscle cars that we would get one day and how we would keep them forever. We went to tons of car shows and dealerships looking and drooling over Camaros, Mustangs and TA’s.

When I finally got a real job and started making money, I bought a 2002 Black Camaro SS 6spd with T-Tops and all of the ‘custom’ SLP options. I got it in 2003 slightly used from an older gentleman that put 1400 miles on it and then decided that he’d rather have a new Hummer.

Since that day I have spent about 25k on aftermarket parts and countless hours in the garage lovingly and carefully wrenching on my car. I’ve installed all of the best components, had custom parts made when an aftermarket piece wasn’t available or good enough. There isn’t a single scratch on the car, it has never seen the rain, always been garage kept and only has a 10,xxx miles on it after 8 years.

I’m now approaching 30; I’ve been married for 5 years and have 2 kids. My interests are the same, but my tastes have changed a bit. I still love firing up the Camaro and going for a drive. But it’s not one of those cars that you take to the grocery store. It has a radical cam, no cats and will burn your eyes with fuel if you stand too close to it before it warms up completely. It’s very low and stiff and I pretty much only take it out when I’m going to the track to race or if I’m specifically doing for a drive and then plan to come home and change cars.

These days I’m really interested in an M3 or M5. I’d still do something performance wise to either, but maybe just not as much. I’d try to keep it drivable and usable.

So from this comes the question – Should I keep it or sell it?

I know that I would lose a lot of money on the deal. But I didn’t originally spend the money with the idea of it being an investment. I can afford to get the M3 without selling it, but it would obviously be beneficial to have the extra cash if it’s just time to move on.

On the other hand, I have a little boy now that might be just as obsessed with cars and all things fast as I am. And I know that I think it would be extremely cool if my dad had a mint ’69 Camaro in the garage that he custom built when he was my age. Or even my daughter for that matter, she’s the one playing with the model Ferrari on my desk.

I’m completely 50/50 at this point so let me hear what you have to say.

Here are some pictures of the car
Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you ever hear the stories about how many people end up selling their highly modified vehicles and later regretting it down the road? I am telling you from personal experience that all my friends and family member's that have sold their sport cars wanted to jump off a bridge when they finally realized what a mistake they made. My grandpa use to tell me all the time "don't ever fall in love with your car" and I fell in love with my car, sorry grandpa. The more time you spend working on your car, the more quickly you become attached to it. It sounds corny, but I can almost guarantee that nearly 100% of us love our cars. You say you still can buy an m3 or m5 and keep the camaro correct? Keep that sucker man. Have it as your weekend/track car. You will regret it.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Benefits of keeping it > Benefits of selling it.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

make it a little more driver friendly and keep her. Do not get rid of her if you don't need to.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

I would also agree with what everyone has said. KEEP the car! At the very least I would buy the M of your choice and then decide if it is worthwhile to keep your car(strip trips, busting muistangs etc) or sell. You, like me and a lot of people on the board have a sentimental value towards the car and unless necessary, I wouldn't sell, especially given the current market
Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

I'm a little older than you, I've been married twice as long, but I have no kids. Keeping those things in mind, here are my thoughts....

I learned many years ago that, at least for me, it's impossible for one car to satisfy all my needs. I currently have two cars that are strictly toys, in addition to daily drivers for myself and the wife, and I'm fine with that. They give me pleasure and fun; and after all, that's really the point of this hobby. I don't see it as a waste to have multiple cars so long as you're happy with them and getting some form of pleasure from them (and assuming you can afford it).

What would be the point of this BMW? Would it be your daily driver as well as a toy? If so, I can tell you first hand that you will likely get bored. Anything that becomes a daily routine gets boring. I've been daily driving an '02 Z28 for 3 years now, and it's not very exciting any more - but that's not the car's fault. It could be a 427ci Z06 and it'd still get boring after several years of daily routine. That's just human nature, it's only special if you don't do it every day.

Having said that, if you intend to keep a daily driver besides the BMW, then why not just keep the Camaro, since you seem to like them so much? If the car is too race-oriented, maybe tone it down just a bit for more street use? You could always pick up an M3 as a replacement for your current daily driver as well, and still keep the Camaro.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

yeah if you dont need the money i wouldnt sell it!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really clean. I'd keep it! I've learned about keeping these things. I reflect back on the money spent and could never logically justify selling my 94. In fact I throw more money at it, its getting all MOOG goodies installed on Friday. You would probably regret letting it go, and down the road good luck finding one again that is that clean.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

I would agree. All that time and money put into the car, you will feel very lonely shortly after selling it to get something like an M3 or M5. Keep the car and buy another DD.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 PM

if your really interested in buying a m3 or m5 and can afford to do so id keep the camaro for awhile, buy the bmw and make sure it can truely fill that spot that the camaro did and then if your happy sell the camaro then, if not lesson learned and sell the bmw. luckily they don't lose value very quickly. thats my opinion.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id keep it. especially with that low mileage and you built it the way you wanted to.

but if you decide to you could always get another one to build with your son.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Keep the SS, it is too clean and after having it almost since new and doing so much work to it, you will regret it, so many people have.

I posted a similar question not too long ago, my SS isnt near the good shape of yours and I decided no way I could ever get rid or it, and I now appreciate it more! I was also thinking of an M3, but I couldnt afford both, nor an M3 with upgrades. I also want a Vette but no back seat means family cant ride along to the car shows, and its not the same to take seperate vehicles unless its a big group. You will get bored quick of a stock car, quiet exhaust, lack of raw torque, etc. you'll miss from the Camaro. Once you start modding it will never stop, which will be a whole lot more expensive with the Bimmer.

If you can afford it, keep the SS and get an M3. Good luck with the decision!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Funny that you should mention the M3. About 2 years ago the wife and I were walking around a BMW dealership, the wife spotted a M3 and said what nice seats it had. I was going through just what you had. I had modded the suspention to the point the car was like riding a buckboard. So I thought about selling and getting the M3 but then I remembered why I had bought the car so instead I pulled out the rod ended suspension, ordered some Recaro seats, and put in a big torque thumping motor. Still need to sort out the exhaust but its mine and not like any other SS within a 100 miles. Will it ever be as refined as an M3, no but you better hope that you don't line up your bimmer beside me
Old 10-06-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

This happens to almost everyone who "over mods" their car. They make it too radical that it can't be enjoyed like it was when it was near stock. Why do you think there's so many highly modified cars for sale when compared to stock ones?

Put the cats back on so it doesn't stink, get rid of the big lopey cam, put an agressive put liveable suspension on it. Maybe take the headers off to reduce the sound and ground clearance issues.

You sound just like me growing up. You'll regret selling this car to get a BMW to impress everyone at work. I proudly park my SS next to all of my fellow dept manager's M3s, M5s, 996 GT2s, Land Rovers, and 500 class Mercs. Funny thing is everybody at work always talks about how cool my regular ol 4th gen SS is and not the $100,000 Porsche sitting next to it.

Last edited by 69camaross; 10-06-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your call but after driving my bone stock 99 Z-71 all week I love gettin in my rude crude obnoxiosly loud gas stinkin gas suckin gettin stares at stoplights solid axle outdated interior car and kicken ***. M5 boys and the rest of you high $$$$ import folks bring it on........ This is what you will likely see.... I kinda like the unrefined edge these car have.... And I sometimes laugh and think you could buld 5 of these cars that can stomp your *** for what you paid for your car....
Attached Thumbnails What should I do with my Camaro?-dscn0100.jpg  
Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Ill answer your post by telling you about my story.
Once apon a time I wanted an ls1. Bought a 99 z28 24 years old. Kept it stock. Totaled it. But I was addicted to the ****** thing. So I decided I NEED another one. Bought a 98 z28 like a half year after I totalled the first one. Did some minor mods. Couple years later I had 2 kids with my gf and decided it was BEST for me to sell the car and I did. Now,2 years later...gf is kicked to the curb and I get the kids 3-4 days a week. Sooooooo guess what that means? Now im 31 and bought an ss a year ago.
What did I learn? I love ls1 camaros!
Forget bout the bmws buddie stay with the american muscle. And im with the last poster bout high $$$ import *******
Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 69camaross
This happens to almost everyone who "over mods" their car. They make it too radical that it can't be enjoyed like it was when it was near stock. Why do you think there's so many highly modified cars for sale when compared to stock ones?
I disagree, I enjoy mine a lot more because its fairly(H,C,LTs) modified.
Put the cats back on so it doesn't stink, get rid of the big lopey cam, put an agressive put liveable suspension on it. Maybe take the headers off to reduce the sound and ground clearance issues.
I wouldnt. You have very low miles on a very nice SS, but when you wanna play you have a nicely modded car. If you do some demodding, then it might turn into a DD car & you might put a lot of miles on it.
You sound just like me growing up. You'll regret selling this car to get a BMW to impress everyone at work. I proudly park my SS next to all of my fellow dept manager's M3s, M5s, 996 GT2s, Land Rovers, and 500 class Mercs. Funny thing is everybody at work always talks about how cool my regular ol 4th gen SS is and not the $100,000 Porsche sitting next to it.
As much as I like 4th gen F-bodys I would take a GT2. Other than that, I agree. These cars are & will be classics, I say keep the car & hand it down to one of your kids UNLESS you just cant afford to keep it.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will regret it. Trust me... Been there... Dont that.

Sold my 94 Formula for a nice reliable DD. I've since sold that DD, and rebounded back with a 02 SS to make up for the time I missed.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep it! DO NOT SELL IT! I've also had my car since 2003 and I still enjoy it when I take it out like the 1st day I got it.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:40 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just gotta chime in with another "don't sell" post. The main reasons why people sell cars is because 1. they need the money and 2. they don't care for the car anymore.

You obviously don't need the money but most of all you still have a soft spot for the car. If it doesn't seem "practical" to you, then de-tune it a little so you and maybe the family can enjoy it more. If you don't want to do that, then leave it as a lurking track-star.

Remember you're in a position of power here because you don't NEED to sell it. Get your M3 or whatever, drive daily in the comfort of the "ultimate driving machine," but know that you can always enjoy the luxury of climbing into your well built, clean SS any time you want to and do whatever you need to with it...

Edit: I gotta' add that my buddy just sold his '72 Nova SS. He'd had it for 20 years, been in his family for longer. He built it up a little and it was the cleanest car in our crowd. He went out and bought a new Fusion Sport because he wanted something smoother and more practical, and sold the Nova simultaneously, even though he didn't need to.

You know, watching a grown man cry is a terrible thing to witness....

Last edited by myk; 10-07-2010 at 01:45 AM.