General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

were the huge dashes/small engine compartments really neccesary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by F-BodyMind
Why is our 10 bolt so weak?
It's not so bad on an A4 car. I've had four of them in four different cars, all stock rears held up to a varity of abuse (lots of miles/hard launches on drag radials/plenty of burnouts, depending on which car) and never broke. The M6 guys are the only ones who can really complain. And if you never race/beat the car, that 10-bolt will last forever.

Why is our suspension so crappy?
Probably because these are all 8-12 year old used cars now with tons of miles, and many still have the factory issued shocks/springs/bushings. Those of us that bought them new will remember that they actually drove pretty nice back then. Sure, they never handled like a Corvette, but they provided Corvette level acceleration for $20k less in sticker price. Good enough for me.

Why cant our 4l60e make it past 100k
I'll agree that the 4L60E is pretty much done between 100-130k if the car has been driven moderately hard over it's life. Mostly because this trans, in stock form, is really maxed out behind a ~3500lb, 350hp/350tq, 6000rpm shift point car. I think they do alright longevity-wise though, considering the way most people drive these cars.

or our window motors make it past 20k?
This is in fact a real problem for many of these cars. Most last longer than 20k though. I didn't lose a stock window motor in my '02 daliy driver until about 95k miles. Now at nearly 100k the passenger side is still stock and still working. But I do agree that this system should have been improved by GM.

These cars really aren't any worse overall than any other car of equal age and price range, especially considering that most other cars aren't driven as hard as a V8 Camaro/Firebird.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these cars have their downsides but for the most part they're pretty stout. put a new rear in the t56 cars and their drivetrain is exceptionally good. the autos need a little more help, but that can be improved on as well. you can make the suspension work very well with good parts. the interior is lacking but i can deal with that. if you really look into other comparable cars and their weak points, ours really aren't that bad. mustangs have weak motors and trannies(most, but def. not all models). imports like subi's, evo's, etc are much more pricey for parts from what i've seen. that being said, my 8.8 funds couldn't come any sooner because i'm dieing to launch my car and my 10 bolt's already whinning
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hell sometimes it seems that you could do an h/c/i easier than you can change plugs, but thats what i love about these cars. in a weird way, i like that they are a bitch to work on sometimes, because at the end of the day, i feel even better for a job well done. now i know that may sound weird, but thats just how i feel lol
Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silversrtman
I dont think its too bad....once you get rid of the air, egr, and get a lid and some headers it really opens things up....the only thing that kinda blows is changing the intake mani...but like zracer said youll get used to it.

Get rid of all the bs and slap some LT's and you'll be a much happier camper when it comes time to change the plugs.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by dutinsss
put a new rear in the t56 cars and their drivetrain is exceptionally good. the autos need a little more help, but that can be improved on as well.
Both drivetrains need about the same amount of work to be ideal for regular drag racing. Autos will need a higher stall TC, larger cooler, and a performance rebuild (eventually). Manuals will need a 12-bolt/9" rear and a clutch (and some would argue a shifter). Cost will be similar.