General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help making a 99M6 a better DD

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to comment on the descreened MAF, I wouldn't recommend it as taking the screen off doesn't drastically improve airflow, and the chance of sucking something up into your engine isn't worth the small payoff IMO. When I installed my lid, I found **** stuck in the MAF screen, and that stuff would have gone into the engine if I didn't have that piece attached.

Also, might I suggest some suspension pieces? One major downfall of these cars are stock shocks, getting a new set of Koni's or even Bilstiens if you're on a budget can really make these cars feel more responsive, handle better, improve high speed stability, and even make the ride more comfortable on rough (or smooth) roads because of better dampening. Just a thought!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a good mod list, although I'd opt for Pacesetters. Ebay **** just scares me. I had zero fitment issues with Pacesetter's.

Also, I daily drive what you are thinking about, except I have 3.73s. Before it got cold, I was averaging like 28mpg on the hwy, about 23mpg total, 85% highway. I have true duals with an X dumped before the axle, and in 6th it is prefectly tame, slightly louder than a Y pipe would be. (pacesetter LT's/x pipe/dynomax bullets)

What is tolerable (or not) comes down to personal opinion.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I would like to comment on the descreened MAF, I wouldn't recommend it as taking the screen off doesn't drastically improve airflow, and the chance of sucking something up into your engine isn't worth the small payoff IMO. When I installed my lid, I found **** stuck in the MAF screen, and that stuff would have gone into the engine if I didn't have that piece attached.

Also, might I suggest some suspension pieces? One major downfall of these cars are stock shocks, getting a new set of Koni's or even Bilstiens if you're on a budget can really make these cars feel more responsive, handle better, improve high speed stability, and even make the ride more comfortable on rough (or smooth) roads because of better dampening. Just a thought!
Ill definately be working suspension in there... I had quite a bit of suspension on my formula.

I will probably go with welded SFC's, LCA's, and a torque arm eventually(cracked my factory one on my LT1 and had to weld it lol).

The car is already lowered just a bit
Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WSsick
Sounds like a good mod list, although I'd opt for Pacesetters. Ebay **** just scares me. I had zero fitment issues with Pacesetter's.

Also, I daily drive what you are thinking about, except I have 3.73s. Before it got cold, I was averaging like 28mpg on the hwy, about 23mpg total, 85% highway. I have true duals with an X dumped before the axle, and in 6th it is prefectly tame, slightly louder than a Y pipe would be. (pacesetter LT's/x pipe/dynomax bullets)

What is tolerable (or not) comes down to personal opinion.
I agree. My formula was quite loud. No cats and a single chamber out of the y. I DD'd it for 3 years.

I am still not sure about this one tho There were times that I wish'd it was quieter like said before... Sick or whatever...
Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some lca relocation bracket if you want them, since you are lowered.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lemons12
I have some lca relocation bracket if you want them, since you are lowered.
I will keep you in mind when I got to start buying stuff
Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GIVE EM' THE BIRD
Ill definately be working suspension in there... I had quite a bit of suspension on my formula.

I will probably go with welded SFC's, LCA's, and a torque arm eventually(cracked my factory one on my LT1 and had to weld it lol).

The car is already lowered just a bit
I would definitely add shocks to that list, especially being it's lowered. If this is a DD shocks will definitely transform the ride. I would even consider doing them before SFC's, proper dampening makes these cars much more solid feeling.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I would definitely add shocks to that list, especially being it's lowered. If this is a DD shocks will definitely transform the ride. I would even consider doing them before SFC's, proper dampening makes these cars much more solid feeling.
Thanks for the tip!