General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Looking to pull the trigger on a suburban 1500 this weekend, advice welcome

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010 | 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Looking to pull the trigger on a suburban 1500 this weekend, advice welcome

I have a couple suburban 1500s in sight for my wife ;-) I want to put a deposit on one this weekend, credit not a problem, an 02 with 88k and an 03 with 105k.

How can I tell what rear gear they each have?

A dealer is selling an 02 88k miles still has paint on some of the frame maybe 50% of it. That seems pretty low rust for a new england 02. Moon Roof, No DVD, Barn doors, fender flares, is that NBM paint in the truck world too? (I'm familiar with ls1 Navy Blue Metallic, have put 92k of 148k on my 02 z28 m6 )

The 03 is a private sale, new tires, shocks, front hubs :-). I looked quick at the frame, I think it was rustier than the 02 but I'm going to check it more thoroughly Friday night. It has the in dash changer bose system, dvd, cordless rechargable headphones, don't remember about the moon roof but it's got so many others maybe it's got that too. Only thing wrong seems to be drivers heated seat which I seen for $50 with a search.

Both vehicles drive nicely, straight with nice smooth strong performance in acceleration, mild steering, and braking. Both have the towing package, heated seats but maybe different for different year? Both are LT, but there are three levels of LT? Which rear doors are better?

Through all that, the 03 private sale is 3k cheaper asking price. It seems like a no brainer, but I keeping wanting to really base it on the amount of rust on the frame and how much more should I pay? It depends some on how long to keep it too I imagine.

I've thought too about cleaning up underneath with wire brush and blast treatment and maybe like por-15 or wd-40 or what esle works better?
Old 11-11-2010 | 10:24 PM
Teching In

To find the gearing just check the RPO codes, they should be printed on a sticker inside the glove box. A few popular ones are:

GU6 = 3.42
GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10