General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ls1 swap into my Typhoon...your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 swap into my Typhoon...your thoughts

Haven't posted in a while here but need your thoughts...

I am up in the air right now on whether or not to build the v6 in the Ty or to go ahead with my ls1 swap. In a way I want to keep it as it was from the factory, BUT the other half of me wants to throw in an ls1 and built tranny. What are your thoughts on this...or what would you do. The motor in it is bone stock but has 125k on her. She still runs strong but I need to either rebuild it or swap it...let me know your.02! Thanks in advance...

BTW building the v6 and swapping to an ls motor is basically the same price...

and another btw i am going to drive it on the hot rod tour in 2011 so it's gotta be able to make LONG trips
Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the 6 and mod it or
Old 11-12-2010, 08:08 PM

Do what makes you happy man.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

If you're going to make long trips, I'd do the LS1 over the turbo V6. The LS1 will give you plenty of power, good gas mileage, and is stone-reliable for the most part in stock form. A built turbo engine could become problematic on a cross-country trip. Not saying it will, but there's more to keep tabs on with a forced induction engine than a stockish N/A LS1. However, I'd still keep the V6 around just in case you change your mind down the road.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

if you're going to make long trips, i'd do the ls1 over the turbo v6. The ls1 will give you plenty of power, good gas mileage, and is stone-reliable for the most part in stock form. A built turbo engine could become problematic on a cross-country trip. Not saying it will, but there's more to keep tabs on with a forced induction engine than a stockish n/a ls1. However, i'd still keep the v6 around just in case you change your mind down the road.
???? Really?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm not one to keep car's factory original by any means. but in this case i wouldn't do an ls1 swap into a typhoon. just find a regual jimmy and do the swap if you want something like that. i don't know much about those as far as power potential and all that, but personally i'd just build that turbo v6.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LunarWillow
If you're going to make long trips, I'd do the LS1 over the turbo V6. The LS1 will give you plenty of power, good gas mileage, and is stone-reliable for the most part in stock form. A built turbo engine could become problematic on a cross-country trip. Not saying it will, but there's more to keep tabs on with a forced induction engine than a stockish N/A LS1. However, I'd still keep the V6 around just in case you change your mind down the road.
Soo.... If he built his current engine that doesnt have any problems, and just because it has a turbo, it wouldnt be as safe to drive as a stock used LS1 that is going to be SWAPPED in?

I hate it when people think "OMG Forced Induction!! NOT RELIABLE!!!"...

OP, I'd prob keep the V6 in there and build it up. I think you'd get more out of it in the long run. If you want to get a LS car later down the road, 98-02 LS1 F-bodies can be bought fairly cheap now.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Soo.... If he built his current engine that doesnt have any problems, and just because it has a turbo, it wouldnt be as safe to drive as a stock used LS1 that is going to be SWAPPED in?

I hate it when people think "OMG Forced Induction!! NOT RELIABLE!!!"...
this guy speaks the truth. forced induction does not equal issues. When someone adds a turbo to something, yes it can be an issue, but a vehicle set up from the factory with it is reliable, even after modding.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote keep the six. Those turbo motors seem more unique to me. Almost every time I log on here someone is ls swapping something lol. There's nothing wrong with that, but a factory turbo suv is something special in my eyes.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Launching!

If you really must have an LS1 in it, then please sell it and buy a regular Jimmy for the swap. Obviously you can do whatever you want, but this route would probably also save you a little money.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep the V6...those are too rare to do a swap. IMO Keep it stock appearing, but rebuild it with some more power! : )
Old 11-13-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'll take that measly v6 off of your hands for free

i could put it in my thirdgen.

nah but if you really wanna do that, sell the typhoon, they go for good money, you can get a decent jimmy for a decent price. this would give more money for the swap/fun parts
Old 11-13-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Build the 6. It makes people feels less manly when you tell them you beat them with a V6!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Teching In

im swapping in a ls1 out of my wrecked 98 z28 into a 99 with a v6 and its not fun at all but its coming together but nobody can tell you what to do you just have to decide on it yourself. i would just do the ls1 swap cause you can never go wrong with a v8. you can go fast and sound good with just about any exhaust, not like a pissed off bumble bee
Old 11-13-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

is it an easy and less expensive conversion? if not id build your stock motor.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I would keep the 6er bc of the low production numbers of the truck. Any other situation and I would say V8 all the way.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

keep the v6, its what makes your car a typhoon... its just another blazer without it imo
Old 11-14-2010, 01:50 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LunarWillow
Whaaaa!?

As for the swap, LB4>LS1... Keep the LB4 and put a fat *** GT45 on it; with that and the AWD you'll smoke any LSX you come up to

Plus how would you get the AWD to work with the LS1? One thing I miss about my 3000GT VR4 is the AWD and AWS... 550whp in an AWD is just PHUCKING SICK

DM

Last edited by Devils Mentor; 11-14-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the response...i think i am keeping it a V6. i got to thinking that if i am going to swap something, why do it to a limited prod vehicle. just going the forged, built tranny, bigger turbo route. nothing crazy, but should make decent power!

Devils Mentor-There are many routes you can go while leaving the AWD functional. Alot of guys find the 4l65(i think) that is in the silverado ss and use that. Or if i am not mistaken the bolt pattern on the ls1 should match up to the stock tranny. there r vids of ls swapped Ty's making passes on youtube and they MOVE OUT!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01whtss
Thanks for the response...i think i am keeping it a V6. i got to thinking that if i am going to swap something, why do it to a limited prod vehicle. just going the forged, built tranny, bigger turbo route. nothing crazy, but should make decent power!

Devils Mentor-There are many routes you can go while leaving the AWD functional. Alot of guys find the 4l65(i think) that is in the silverado ss and use that. Or if i am not mistaken the bolt pattern on the ls1 should match up to the stock tranny. there r vids of ls swapped Ty's making passes on youtube and they MOVE OUT!
Yeah I seen the TrailBlazer SS setup for sale on ebay and thought how sweet it would be to mod my T/A into an AWD setup, but I just don't have the time or $$ to play right now with Med school Tuition.

But yeah, deff keep the LB4 and toss on a big *** snail; the MPG of the v6 under boost and the power of a Big Block @ 15+lbs

DM

Quick Reply: ls1 swap into my Typhoon...your thoughts