General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need help, changing engines and what to get.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, changing engines and what to get.

So I am getting back from the Middle East in couple of months and have some money saved up and want to upgrade my 2000 TA. Currently the engine is stock, but I did put in a moser 12 bolt, drive shaft and spon suspension in it. I want to do something a little different with my f-body. I’m thinking about changing engines. Initially I was looking at the LSX 454, but think that may be just a little too much power. I do want this thing to be nasty, but it needs to be streetable as well. As far as price is concerned it depends on what I go with. I don’t have 50k to blow, but I’ve managed to save a few pennies. So the LSX is still on the table but some of the other more practical options I was looking at were a used LS7/3. I’ve found a few LS7sat 15k ish, but for 500 HP id just do a H C I in my LS1 and be close to 500 hp for way less money. Then I thought about an LS3 with the LS9 super charger. They are super expensive from GMPP, but if I took a used LS3 from a camaro or vette and put the edelbrock supercharger kit on it for 7k, it says id hit 599 FWHP. Again though if I’m spending all that money and time, I don’t think I want stock H and C form a LS3. So what are some options out there? Is it worth the savings to buy a used LS3 engine, change heads and cam, buy the edelbrock supercharger and make 600RWHP for under 20k? Or go With the n/a lsx 454, or find a LS7 and do a H/C/I in it. The main goal I want is over 550 HP, and something different that isn’t crazy money. Also with the new Z28s coming out, I just don’t want to be another GM with an LS9. Plus I want it to sound nasty, really looking for a good cam, not a stocker. If I did go the supercharged route with a stock LS3, would I need to upgrade pistons crank etc. if so, then were back to it being worth buying a used LS3. So many questions and combinations. Bang for the buck and 550-650 HP, what’s the best deal?
Old 12-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Staging Lane

Bump...
Old 12-05-2010, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

An lsx 454 is not going to make more power than 550-650 unless your going all out on it. Start with a used ls3 and add some cnc'ed l92 heads, cam, and intake setup. See how the power feels. Once you get bored add a power adder.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id go with as much cubes as you can afford and keep it NA.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Why not forge your bottom end, decent heads and cam, and spray it. that way you can have over 400whp around town. and a 150+ shot whenever you want and your motor will be built for it...550ish at the wheel sounds good to me