General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned Scammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap?

Ok. im new to the swap. conversions. internals. its all very fuzzy to me. but my cousin is quite skilled with it and he has a nice garage at home that were could accomplish some stuff
but anyways. i have some lifter/pistons/rods/rod bearing problems. and i was just wonder what your thoughts were? should i rebuild my LS1 (86,XXX miles)
or puchase a different engine and go from there. By the end of summer i should have close to $7000...
so what you think? LQ4, LQ9, 402/408 stroker, new LS1/LS3/LS6/LS7, or rebuild my LS1 now?
i have Kooks LTs for my LS1.. and id like to keep them... so...
opinions? thoughts? suggestions?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

I would keep your ls1 and just rebuild the valvetrain, rotating assembly, etc. for these reasons

1. very likely that it will be way cheaper to rebuild than buy new lsx

2. you already have the headers for the engine and will have plenty of money for engine mods (id go for a good h/c/i set up- minding supporting mods and suspension)

ps. sounds like you want more power and you can squeeze more power out of the rebuilt ls1 for cheaper than starting with new engine
Old 12-13-2010, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cure07
I would keep your ls1 and just rebuild the valvetrain, rotating assembly, etc. for these reasons

1. very likely that it will be way cheaper to rebuild than buy new lsx

2. you already have the headers for the engine and will have plenty of money for engine mods (id go for a good h/c/i set up- minding supporting mods and suspension)

ps. sounds like you want more power and you can squeeze more power out of the rebuilt ls1 for cheaper than starting with new engine
I disagree with this...

For a 7k budget you can definitly build more power by ditching the LS1. I would start with an LQ4/LQ9 and build a 408. All your accessories can be re-used and you can reuse your headers.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zracer323
I disagree with this...

For a 7k budget you can definitly build more power by ditching the LS1. I would start with an LQ4/LQ9 and build a 408. All your accessories can be re-used and you can reuse your headers.
Agree with that budget you could have a powerhouse imo
Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned Scammer

what all is needed for a swap. TSP has a GM 6.0L Cast Iron Block for $750...needs pistons, crankshaft, and rods... i would guess 6.0L wire harness, LS6 intake, LS6 oil pump, better fuel injectors, etc. etc?