General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

getting closer....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Ummm let's see. Interior for starters is a lot more solid and comfortable...do I really need to go on? You've been in the game for a long while to know this kinda stuff. Dont act like they are exactly the same.
Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
Obviously he hasen't been in the game all that long if he's in the dark about the differences between the two. The T/A's extra weight makes it less bumpy/less rattles, more comfortable ride. I have driven each car and hands down the T/A feels more stout and IMO more fun to drive. Here's where the extra weight comes from and HOW they differ.

Larger constructed Seats
Interior door panels
Stereo
More internal wiring
Larger rear wing & hatch
What a bunch of BS. There isn't a flag big enough for these two posts.

Now, allow me to bring YOU TWO out of the dark....

I've owned both an LS1 Camaro and an LS1 WS6 Trans Am brand new. That removes the factor of mileage and age differences causing unequally worn suspension or rattling interiors.

Now let's address the various points you've mentioned:

Interior for starters is a lot more solid and comfortable...
More solid interior? The basic construction and material quality is the same, only difference in perceived comfort/support would be the seats, if the T/A has the optional lumbar support seats (RPO AQ9). Other than the seats, the interior differences are mostly cosmetic, and if anything I'd say that all the extra hard plastic on the Trans Am door panels and seat backs (for the AQ9 seats) feels more flimsy.

The T/A's extra weight makes it less bumpy/less rattles, more comfortable ride.
Less rattles because of 100lbs more weight? Enough said.

I have driven each car and hands down the T/A feels more stout and IMO more fun to drive
You've driven them both when they were new? Or at least two used ones of the same age and mileage with all stock parts? I doubt that, otherwise you wouldn't have made such an ignorant statement.

Here's where the extra weight comes from and HOW they differ.

Larger constructed Seats
Interior door panels
Stereo
More internal wiring
Larger rear wing & hatch
Some people find the T/A seats more comfortable, that's the only vaild arguement you have. The interior door panels actually have more hard plastic on the Trans Am and tend to crack, where the Camaro does not.

Both cars use the Monsoon system as their premium stereo, only the front speakers are wired a bit different.

Larger hatch? The spoiler is taller, yes.

Again, I've owned (not just driven) both from brand new, and when they are both equipped with the same size wheels & tires (compare 17" WS6 to SS, or 16" Trans Am to Z28) neither feels more solid or fun than the other. You might be able to fool people that don't know any better, but I am here to set the record straight.

Obviously he hasen't been in the game all that long if he's in the dark about the differences between the two.
I've owned four LS1 F-bodies, and had one or two at almost any given moment over the last 11+ years; including new and used, Camaro and Trans Am.

How long have you been "in the game"?

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-27-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the others, don't rush your decision. If you want an M6 then wait for one to come along. I settled for the A4 (and even though its stalled) I still regret not getting an M6 car.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
What a bunch of BS. There isn't a flag big enough for these two posts.

Now, allow me to bring YOU TWO out of the dark....

I've owned both an LS1 Camaro and an LS1 WS6 Trans Am brand new. That removes the factor of mileage and age differences causing unequally worn suspension or rattling interiors.

Now let's address the various points you've mentioned:

More solid interior? The basic construction and material quality is the same, only difference in perceived comfort/support would be the seats, if the T/A has the optional lumbar support seats (RPO AQ9). Other than the seats, the interior differences are mostly cosmetic, and if anything I'd say that all the extra hard plastic on the Trans Am door panels and seat backs (for the AQ9 seats) feels more flimsy.

Less rattles because of 100lbs more weight? Enough said.

You've driven them both when they were new? Or at least two used ones of the same age and mileage with all stock parts? I doubt that, otherwise you wouldn't have made such an ignorant statement.

Some people find the T/A seats more comfortable, that's the only vaild arguement you have. The interior door panels actually have more hard plastic on the Trans Am and tend to crack, where the Camaro does not.

Both cars use the Monsoon system as their premium stereo, only the front speakers are wired a bit different.

Larger hatch? The spoiler is taller, yes.

Again, I've owned (not just driven) both from brand new, and when they are both equipped with the same size wheels & tires (compare 17" WS6 to SS, or 16" Trans Am to Z28) neither feels more solid or fun than the other. You might be able to fool people that don't know any better, but I am here to set the record straight.

I've owned four LS1 F-bodies, and had one or two at almost any given moment over the last 11+ years; including new and used, Camaro and Trans Am.

How long have you been "in the game"?
And GOD spoke

Thank the lord for your infinite wisdom.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

didnt mean to turn this into a pissing match lol...

so i guess ill wait for an m6 trans am, ws6 or not. as long as its a m6 T/A...ill b happy. And the fact that im ok with getting a 98 now helps alot cuz ive seen a few of them for really good prices..now i just gotta save a little more...a month of working every weekend should do it
Old 12-27-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Buy what you think you will be the most happy with in the long run. Both have the same hp/handling/ride/performance potential AND limitations. They are the same platform. Any subtle differences, if any, would be have vanished due to the age of the oe stuff. I've heard that the TA seats are more comfortable than the SS seats- they def look more comfortable and supportive. I ordered my SS new and did not consider the Pontiac version solely because of the styling. I thought (and still do) that the TA is a bit over styled, esp the rear end. Yes the TA looks sinister/mean/fast etc, it was and still is a PERSONAL preference. The TA guys prolly think the SS is too tame/soft/subtle looking and I see their point. Performance wise, the two cars are identical. Now that being said, I do like the Firehawk styling and seats...
Old 12-27-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah man don't settle. If you're working hard for your dream then don't come up short. It's like they say "good things come to those who wait." As far as what everyone is saying about the difference between the camaro and trans am it's a matter of personal preference. I have also owned both and I prefer my T/A lol. It looks better and feels better mostly just because my camaro was cloth and the T/A is leather ha ha. Performance wise though they feel the same.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

this thread helped me alot . Yea i prefer the T/A over the camaro. And everyone has a camaro....i hardly see trans ams around where i live. so, now my waiting game starts good way to look at it is the longer i wait the more money ill save then i can get a better car
Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allout06
this thread helped me alot . Yea i prefer the T/A over the camaro. And everyone has a camaro....i hardly see trans ams around where i live. so, now my waiting game starts good way to look at it is the longer i wait the more money ill save then i can get a better car
Exactly. That's a good way to look at it
Old 12-27-2010, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

And GOD spoke

Thank the lord for your infinite wisdom.
Well, somebody had to correct your ignorance.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-27-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by pewter2002
I thought (and still do) that the TA is a bit over styled, esp the rear end.
Yeah, over time this has become my feeling as well. When I was 10 years younger, I really liked the over-styled look of the Trans Am, but as the years went by I realized that my preference was the cleaner styling of the Camaro.

It's all a subjective opinion thing, and nobody should ever buy/not buy a particular car based on other peoples' opinion of styling.

One thing I really disliked about the Trans Am was the leather. F-body leather (Chevy or Pontiac) is not great quality and wears much more poorly than the cloth over time. I've always preferred the cloth, but cloth was not even an option in Trans Am starting in 1998.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

I'm ignorant because the feel of my Trans Am is different then my past Z28? Funny thing is, my friends agree that my TA feels more stout then their Camaro's after driving and riding in it. It's not ignorance, it's called having experience. You can't tell another person that their personal experience is ignorance...that alone is ignorant which you seem to have plenty of.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

And thank you for that RPM. I was laughing so hard reading his posts that my gut started to hurt.

Ignorance is bliss though... Now don't you feel bad for ruining that for him?

Back to the op:
Looks like you have the right idea now. Some patience will definitly get you exactly what you want.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

One thing I really disliked about the Trans Am was the leather. F-body leather (Chevy or Pontiac) is not great quality and wears much more poorly than the cloth over time. I've always preferred the cloth, but cloth was not even an option in Trans Am starting in 1998.
^^^This is so true. I like my leather, but it feels cheap.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the help guys. Cant wait to pick one up and show it off. Hopefully the power my bike has wont ruin it for me in the car...cuz well....my zx10 is kind of stupid... haha
Old 12-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Launching!

02turk simply stated that the feel of his t/a felt more solid and handled smoother over his camaro...how does that make his statement ignorant? The interior of my friends t/a is way more comfortable then my camaro. So ease up guys. You didn't drive either of his set ups so who are you to say otherwise?
Old 12-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
And thank you for that RPM. I was laughing so hard reading his posts that my gut started to hurt.

Ignorance is bliss though... Now don't you feel bad for ruining that for him?

Back to the op:
Looks like you have the right idea now. Some patience will definitly get you exactly what you want.

Originally Posted by GoFastKid
02turk simply stated that the feel of his t/a felt more solid and handled smoother over his camaro...how does that make his statement ignorant? The interior of my friends t/a is way more comfortable then my camaro. So ease up guys. You didn't drive either of his set ups so who are you to say otherwise?
He can say whatever he chooses because he is a director. The nut swingers will follow to try and get good with him. He is clueless and obviously has nothing better to do with his time with his 14k post count.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I'm ignorant because the feel of my Trans Am is different then my past Z28?
No, but I'd have to guess that both cars were not setup the same, nor the same level of age/wear/mileage. If you had gone to dealer lots back in, say, 2002, and driven a brand new Camaro SS and a brand new Trans Am WS6 you would not notice a difference in handling nor overall performance feel. You might like the Trans Am seats better, but that alone does not account for how the entire car "feels" (and by "feels", I assume we are talking about more than just how your *** feels when touching the seat ). Under the skin, they are the same car. Anyone with the experience you claim to have would know this.

Funny thing is, my friends agree that my TA feels more stout then their Camaro's after driving and riding in it.
1) Your car is no longer stock.
2) I have no idea what mods/suspension setup/wheels & tires their Camaros have.
3) I have no idea what sort of age/mileage their Camaros are.

All of these factors negate any meaningful comparasion of how both cars performed when they were new and stock (or how they would perform now if at the same age/wear/mod/option status)

It's not ignorance, it's called having experience. You can't tell another person that their personal experience is ignorance...that alone is ignorant which you seem to have plenty of.
Your ignorance comes from the fact you are claiming that Trans Ams in general feel more "solid/stout" based on a comparison of your modded car against Camaros of unknown age/mileage/mods/options. Your personal experience is not ignorant, but how you are applying it to this situation is.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by GoFastKid
02turk simply stated that the feel of his t/a felt more solid and handled smoother over his camaro...how does that make his statement ignorant?
That's not how this started, nor was that statement itself ignorant. He originally claimed that Trans Ams feel more solid in general; which is not just ignorant but also incorrect.

Originally Posted by BruceBufferTA
He can say whatever he chooses because he is a director. The nut swingers will follow to try and get good with him. He is clueless and obviously has nothing better to do with his time with his 14k post count.
You don't have to believe me, I really couldn't care less if you choose to live in ignorance yourself. But as for this thread, you are done spreading it.