General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

getting closer....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default getting closer....

Ive been saving some money for the past 2 months to pick me up my first LS1 Fbody. (I used to have an '87 and '92 camaro) So far, i have about $5000 saved and im really partial to the Trans ams even though ive only owned camaros. I LOVE the ram air hood. but i cannot find a manual Trans am hardly anywhere for the right price and color that i want. Granted I have another 2-3 months before i have enough to buy one. (Probably gonna spend around $8-8500) but i sure hope i find one! My choices in order are.. White, Black, and mmaayyybe red. Ive caught my self thinking ill settle for a camaro sine you can find a 6 speed camaro anywhere, but i would really like to get what i want. Also ive caught myself thinking about settling for an auto T/A, cuz ive found a bunch of them in the $9000 price range. What would you guys do? Would you guys settle for a manual camaro if u couldnt find a T/A or vice versa...or settle for an auto over a manual... I just want one so bad, thats its hard to force myself to wait the closer and closer i come to having the cash...
Old 12-26-2010, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Where you located? I just picked up my 2002 M6 WS6 bone stock w/ 25K for $10 grand. There's something for ya out there just gotta keep looking. If you really want a 6spd I would hold out. I myself wouldn't want an auto...I love rowing the gears Good luck!
Old 12-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't settle or you will regret it. The right manual TA will come along.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the input. Im very impatient lol. I started looking at camaros first actually, then for some reason i jumped on board the T/A fetish. It just seems it takes more work to make a camaro look good, vs the T/A looks good stock imo...

Take this camaro for example

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...fCarsQ5fTrucks

If it was a 6-speed id actually consider buying it....just come camaros look better than others and i dont know why..

also im located in kokomo, In 50 miles directly north of indy. And im willing to go just about anywhere to pick one up. Been lookin in florida alot also on craigslist. figured id buy a plane ticket and drive it back...basically anything east of kansas ive been looking and havent had any luck. Although there is a VERY clean black WS6 6-speed in alabama with 81k miles and the guy wants like 8500-9 for it. if i had the few extra $$$ id be there right now to get it.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

I have owned both and I love the feel of the T/A more so then the Camaro's. I would play the waiting game. Here are a couple listings...not sure how far from you.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2057327683.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2067984584.html
Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

very nice cars, and they are very close to me, but the are way outta my price range. my limit is really about $9500 with the hope of talking some one down $1000 lol. Itll be cash in hand so..., o and also, id rather find one close to stock, Headers and cat back would be ok, but no cammed or head cars, i dont trust people with a wrench...lol....well epople i dont know. thanks for the help though
Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

just wait until the car you want comes around. the specs you want in an fbody meet your price range, now you just have to sit on it and wait until the right car is put on the market.

i waited 3 years for my trans am. black on black, t-tops, m6, below 60k miles stock. the only thing i didnt get was the ws6 package, but i fixed that with an aftermarket hood. i was happy, and i wouldnt of been happier if i settled on something else.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

yea, i better get what i want, especially if im bustin my *** to work all this overtime so i can pay cash for this car. wish i had the extra 3 grand right now cuz there would be a bad *** T/A sittn in my driveway maybe the guy will have the car in the next 2.5 months
Old 12-26-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

o also, ive been kinda staying away from 1998 models cuz i heard alot of **** is different on them. should i not exclude the 98's? i found a few manual 98s with good mileage and 6-speed for like $8500
Old 12-26-2010, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

2001-2002 ftw!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

yea...only seen autos in my price range for those years. Whats the biggest difference? i kno they had the ls6 intakes...and a different ECu or sumthin, maybe the tuning was different? and no EGR...correct me if im wrong.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740880-post2.html

All your answers are in there as far as whats different between the years.

But you should definitely hold out for the right car. Buying one that you've settled on will just leave you disappointed the entire time you own it. Hold out and buy the one you want... I waited one year to find the one I truly wanted.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:43 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by allout06
o also, ive been kinda staying away from 1998 models cuz i heard alot of **** is different on them. should i not exclude the 98's? i found a few manual 98s with good mileage and 6-speed for like $8500
The dyno-tuning is a different procedure than the rest; you'll have to find a tuner that knows how to program for the 98's, other than that they're good to go-don't let the incorrect and totally false myths about 98's scare you away from a good car with the right options and the perfect price. An LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1...

Last edited by myk; 12-26-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
I have owned both and I love the feel of the T/A more so then the Camaro's.

They are exactly the same car under the skin. How could one possibily "feel" different?

As for trans type, get what YOU like best. Neither trans is better for everyone, it's a subjective decision.

There is nothing magical about the later years. I've had a '98, '99, '00, and '02. They were all good cars, and while there were minor differences between the years, there is good and bad to all which mostly ends up equalling out. For my purposes, I've been happiest with the '98.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

awesome, thanks guys. makes me feel better about the '98 lol. well hopefully ill have one in the next couple of months. Ill buy a normal trans am, if i cant find a ws6, and ill just buy the hood for it, i kinda like the raptor hoods anyway. ill probably just put headers and a catback on it if it doesnt have one already, and do small stuff, like window tint, stereo, and maybe some wheels n tires this year. i dont like workin overtime in the nice weather months, i have a 2006 zx10 that needs some attention, i think shes mad at me lol
Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

They are exactly the same car under the skin. How could one possibily "feel" different?

As for trans type, get what YOU like best. Neither trans is better for everyone, it's a subjective decision.

There is nothing magical about the later years. I've had a '98, '99, '00, and '02. They were all good cars, and while there were minor differences between the years, there is good and bad to all which mostly ends up equalling out. For my purposes, I've been happiest with the '98.
Ummm let's see. Interior for starters is a lot more solid and comfortable...do I really need to go on? You've been in the game for a long while to know this kinda stuff. Dont act like they are exactly the same.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Ummm let's see. Interior for starters is a lot more solid and comfortable...do I really need to go on? You've been in the game for a long while to know this kinda stuff. Dont act like they are exactly the same.
Obviously he hasen't been in the game all that long if he's in the dark about the differences between the two. The T/A's extra weight makes it less bumpy/less rattles, more comfortable ride. I have driven each car and hands down the T/A feels more stout and IMO more fun to drive. Here's where the extra weight comes from and HOW they differ.

Larger constructed Seats
Interior door panels
Stereo
More internal wiring
Larger rear wing & hatch
Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

As I'm no guru on facts between the two, I can honestly say after driving both the Trans Am and Z28, both built, both lowered sitting on the same size wheels & tires & suspension, the Trans Am feels more beefier and the ride factor is what really sold me on it. Overall it just feels more comfortable sitting in and driving down the road. Less rattles and squeaks. Take it for what you want...it is what it is.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by allout06
awesome, thanks guys. makes me feel better about the '98 lol. well hopefully ill have one in the next couple of months. Ill buy a normal trans am, if i cant find a ws6, and ill just buy the hood for it, i kinda like the raptor hoods anyway
That's exactly what I did and I completely regret it. Not saying that an aftermarket hood can't be made right, but having to find one at a good price, shipping it out, having it fitted, painted, etc. is expensive and time consuming. Not to mention that you'll be riding on 16" wheels that look terrible with all of the T/A's body cladding AND that honking hood-reminds me of the previous generation Huyndai Tiburon with those giant fenders on both ends and those tiny 15" wheels.

Don't settle!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

well i could find a used ws6 hood from some one, and im not really worried about the cost, ill spend 1500 on a painted hood if i have to. and besides, the wheels arent staying stock either..