General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stop me from trading my 2000 Z28 Convertible for a 97 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the only thing that impresses you is the handling, since acceleration is lacking. A better option may be to look at suspension mods for your Z28; then you'll still have LS1 power with drastically improved handling.
I don't really have the money to do the many of suspension modifications it would take probably.

Another downside of the boxster is no back seat and limited cargo space. Less horsepower from a 6 cylinder and exact gas mileage as the V8 Camaro. Also, repairs will be quite expensive and it may be a pain to work on the engine since its position.
Not a problem really, just a college kid. cargo room is no object, looking for a corvette eventually.

as far as the engines go, they are a bit awkward to get to, but there are plenty of DIY forums out there for the boxster

I believe that the pre-2000 model year Boxsters have a serious engine issue (sleeves??) that is very expensive to repair. Be very careful, and if buying a Boxster, try to buy model year 2000 or newer.
You are right, I have heard about the sleeves being an issue, but they usually go out before 40k miles.

I'm going to guess from the "they're junk" comments that most people here have never actually owned a boxter or even riden.

My mom has one from the late 90s, '99 I think. Never broke down, and very little maintenance. Not saying none of them break down, but it's been more reliable than any of the 4 f-body's I've owned (trans hasn't broke, rear end isn't glass, window motors haven't failed, etc). But if it does break it's goinng to be pricey to get it fixed, like any Porsche.

Boxsters are a lot of things, including a car with a chick stereotype, but it is no where close to junk. That 200 some horsepower comes on strong in the mid and upper RPM range and pulls smooth which makes it a blast to ride hard in the twisty's. My uncle had a Z3 from about the same year and it didn't feel near as solid as the Boxster. Sure, it doesn't have LS1 power, but it will hold and accelerate out of a turn better than any f-body unless you've dumped thousands into the suspension.

BTW, is the guy offering to trade you straight up for the Z28?? I'd trade a 90s boxster for a 178k mile f-body anyday, you could sell it and come out way on top.
THIS. The car has an amazing maintenance record with very little actual repairs. It seems like a good one of the bunch. The Boxster forums are riddled with engine failures, but they estimate it is only about 15-20,000 of the 200,000 that have been produced.

yes the offer is for a straight across trade. That is why I am so tempted, because I am thinking I could sell it for much more than I could with my high mileage F-body.

I would do it and trade up for a lower milage fbody.....the milage gap between your car and his is a bit much, have you driven the car, checked compression etc?
That is what I am aiming for, trading towards a vette actually. I have driven the car, but not the compression. I have driven others now and it feels the same with all the cars.

I would be wary, your car is prob worth 5-6k with the milage, his is worth closer to 10. As mentioned earlier, engine problems are not good or cheap
Yes it does seem too good to be true. But he is an old short man who has a history of camaros and is retiring soon, looking for a weekend cruiser (the porsche is bad on his back). He seems pretty genuine.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2QUIK4U
I would put a set of Strano springs and Koni shocks along with a good set of SFC's and Strano sway bars and then put it to that Boxter in handling and acceleration.
What would that run me roughly? haha, poor college student here.

I started with a 1992 ford taurus SHO and ended up with a Z28 6 speed 2 years later. Slowly working my way up to a vette while getting a college education.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpennyBenny

I started with a 1992 ford taurus SHO and ended up with a Z28 6 speed 2 years later. Slowly working my way up to a vette while getting a college education.
For the setup posted above:
Konis - $880
Strano Springs - $275
SFCs - $270
Strano Sway bars - $375
Total: $1800 + shipping and installation if you don't want to do it yourself.

You could spend $1800+ on a car with 180k miles on it so that it can MAYBE keep up with a boxster in the turns. Or you could trade it for a car who's blue book is worth about $4k what your car's worth.

Financially, this is an absolute no brainer. It's a Porsche with pretty much 100k less miles on it for an even trade. Even if you hate the car with a passion, as long as it's mechanically sound you'd come out with thousands in your pocket. Kind of confused how people can say keep your car, pretty much goes against every shred of common sense
Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
For the setup posted above:
Konis - $880
Strano Springs - $275
SFCs - $270
Strano Sway bars - $375
Total: $1800 + shipping and installation if you don't want to do it yourself.

You could spend $1800+ on a car with 180k miles on it so that it can MAYBE keep up with a boxster in the turns. Or you could trade it for a car who's blue book is worth about $4k what your car's worth.

Financially, this is an absolute no brainer. It's a Porsche with pretty much 100k less miles on it for an even trade. Even if you hate the car with a passion, as long as it's mechanically sound you'd come out with thousands in your pocket. Kind of confused how people can say keep your car, pretty much goes against every shred of common sense
Trust me, there is nothing more I want to do than drop a 408, sts twin turbo, the suspension setup you mentioned, etc. $$$$ is nowhere to be found.

Financially, that is what I was thinking in doing this and I'm glad someone posted who isn't being ignorant on the subject haha. This will not be a car I keep past 6 months, once I get it the rims and tires will go up for sale ($1.5-2k easily) as will the boxster.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

'OP, there's no denying that the Boxster holds the greater value financially, but the real question is what do you want to drive? Maybe I've been in 'Cali too long, but I've learned that it's important to love what you drive. There'd be no point in getting the Porsche, not liking or even hating it, but having to live with it because well, it's the financially sound thing to do. Cars, especially for people like us, are emotional, personal choices, or else we'd all be driving Civics right? Those cars make more financial sense than any car on the road. Follow your heart man!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by myk
'OP, there's no denying that the Boxster holds the greater value financially, but the real question is what do you want to drive? Maybe I've been in 'Cali too long, but I've learned that it's important to love what you drive. There'd be no point in getting the Porsche, not liking or even hating it, but having to live with it because well, it's the financially sound thing to do. Cars, especially for people like us, are emotional, personal choices, or else we'd all be driving Civics right? Those cars make more financial sense than any car on the road. Follow your heart man!
Agreed, and you are exactly right. I love the Z28, but like I said previously this will only be a move in order to get something greater later on. I am going away to college and will have to sell whatever I have anyways.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Probably about $1500. I would call Sam and see what kind of deal he can make you. I bought mine a few years ago and he hooked me up. You could also look in the classifieds section. Some great deals in there from time to time. I understand being a poor college student. I have been in school for 8 years now and I have gone from a Z28 to an SS and now a G8GT.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I considered a Boxster for about 15 minutes since I'm looking for something right now. They are everywhere, just look for some for sale and you'll see. They aren't too expensive, but IMO people see it as the entry level Porsche, lacking the real essence of a 911. It's disappointing when you hear someone say they have a Porsche and it turns out to only be a Boxster. And if it breaks? I think it's safe to say you're screwed. That fact alone has taken a Porsche (was considering a 911) off the table for me, just can't afford it if something goes wrong.

I'm not a 'vert fan either.

The cars can be a good buy, and I'm sure they are fun (in turns, etc) and nice in general. It's not the direction I'm looking to go in, and if you really like your Z, it may not be the best bet for you. It would suck to regret your decision later on and be disappointed with what you got. If that is a route you want to try out, I wouldn't worry about finding a cheapish Boxster. They are all over the place, so turning down this trade doesn't close the door on one completely.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Launching!

I've driven multiple boxters and I was not impressed at all.yeah they do handle like a dream but damn they are slow. I agree with the people telling you to wait, save up, and buy A REAL porsche. I've driven regular 911s to cayenne turbo S's to my neighbors GT3 . A boxter is a poor excuse for a porsche.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Agreed, and you are exactly right. I love the Z28, but like I said previously this will only be a move in order to get something greater later on. I am going away to college and will have to sell whatever I have anyways.
It's like some people don't even read what you type, but sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders. If you choose to buy trade with him, I'd see what similar Boxsters are going for around you so you'll know what you can get out of it. And carfax the hell out of it!

For everyone saying keep the Z28, think of it this way:

I have a magic wand and I wave it over both cars *POOF* They've magically changed into their current cash value! The Z28 'vert turns in a stack of $6k. The Porsche turns into a $9k stack. If someone offered to trade you his $9,000 for your $6,000 would you do it? The OP is going to be selling any car he owns within 6 months anyway, so what's the difference?

Knowing the OPs situation, if you guys say you wouldn't take the trade, your literally saying someone couldn't pay you $3,000 to DD a Porsche Boxster for a few months.

But that's all considering the Boxtser hasn't been wrecked and it's in good mechanical shape...
Old 01-06-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 512 Likes on 370 Posts

Golf&GM is right and that is a very good analogy. Since you are trading it in about 6 months down the road (excellent selling timing in the summer for verts) I want to warn you of something that you would never think of. These little roadsters are tight inside and you are very close to the passenger. GREAT when you are with your girlfriend or wife but all of a sudden uncomfortable with your rather large male neighbor if you go somewhere together, especially with the top down and the wind blowing through your hair. I never felt so in my life. Should it matter? Of course not but I've never taken a dude in the roadster again. The T/A or my other ride is fine for male passengers. The roadster is now a 'me only' car and usually a 'my wife and I' car. Even my wife thought it was funny when she saw us leave together that day.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Teching In

I've driven multiple Porsches, 996-997 turbo, 924, 914, and now the boxster. It's just as much a Porsche as any of them.

Golf&GM: Yea, it seems like everyone is simply reading the title and nothing more. haha.
Thanks for the advice and yes your analogy is correct and exactly how I am justifying the decision. Its only reality.

As for those too uncomfortable with their sexuality to drive in a convertible with another man, I will pray for you lol.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The OP is going to be selling any car he owns within 6 months anyway, so what's the difference?

But that's all considering the Boxtser hasn't been wrecked and it's in good mechanical shape...
Well if he's ditching the 'Z anyway then I guess it doesn't really matter-obviously the thing to do would be to go for the vehicle that will ultimately be worth more. I just hope to whatever God you believe in that the Boxster isn't going to break on you, while you're trying to make it work for you financially 'OP.

In regards to masculinity and 'Verts, probably the only reason why I keep my '97Z Vert around is so I can get the **** of the week in the proper mood. Clear, starry, San Diego skies by the beach and with the top down it's only a matter of time before her top comes off too. Convertibles, especially ones with flash are like aphrodisiacs on wheels.

I think that one episode of 2 and a 1/2 Men is what gave Boxsters a bad 'rep, lol. They basically call it a chick car for the entire episode...

Last edited by myk; 01-06-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't want the repair bill on any Porshe if I was a poor college student...sure some repairs might be DIY but you have the cost of parts to consider, too. You likely wouldn't have any probs. w/ it in the short time you plan on owning it until you flipped in a few months, but the possibility is there that some things might break...could you afford to fix the car?

Not trying to talk you out of it, you have to go w/ your gut...but the straight trade itself seems so lopsided...I'd be leary about it, but that's just me.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Do it use it awhile pick up chicks and then try and trade it up for a vette. I had a newer 325 beemer and u really apreciate what a more refined car is all about. Anyways sold my ladies beemer but still kept the v8. She's getting a range soon. Oh and don't beat on it u wouldn't want ur investment to go down.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,232 Posts

But he is an old short man who has a history of camaros and is retiring soon, looking for a weekend cruiser (the porsche is bad on his back). He seems pretty genuine.
This is a warning flag to me actually. No offense to your car, but it sounds to me like the Boxster owner could afford a more expensive/lower mileage Camaro. If nothing else, he could sell the Porsche outright and use the cash to buy a Camaro with half the miles of yours. On the other hand, if the Boxster has hidden issues then dumping it quickly for your mechanically sound car becomes the better move for him, rather than waiting for a top-dollar cash buyer.

Point being, he might be more savvy than you think.

I have a magic wand and I wave it over both cars *POOF* They've magically changed into their current cash value! The Z28 'vert turns in a stack of $6k. The Porsche turns into a $9k stack. If someone offered to trade you his $9,000 for your $6,000 would you do it?
Unfortunately it's not that simple. Cars don't just turn into cash, you have to find a buyer and the car has to be/stay in proper running condition to bring full value.

To reverse your question, if you had a $9k stack of cash, can you think of any reason why you'd trade someone for their $6k stack of cash?

This is the real concern here, assuming that you're looking at this trade purely for financial gain. The gamble is whether or not the Boxster owner is just ignorant of the loss he'd be taking, or if he's hiding something with the car.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-06-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Screw Porsche/End Thread
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by somws6bird
There junk, don't do it. Too small, no power, $$ to fix and you'll prob look like your driving it, no offense

Keep the camaro and remain a man

But seriously, I wouldn't make this trade simply because you think it's a "good trade;" you need to truly want the car, because chances are the tax, title, registration, and plate fees are going to negate any sweet taste in your mouth with regards to a "financially sound decision."

Last edited by The Bronx Bull; 01-07-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brother....I'm not the one to judge, but I'm going to know. I didn't read your entire post besides "trade for boxster"

With all due respect sir.....where are your *****? A boxster? You're breaking our *****.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is a warning flag to me actually. No offense to your car, but it sounds to me like the Boxster owner could afford a more expensive/lower mileage Camaro. If nothing else, he could sell the Porsche outright and use the cash to buy a Camaro with half the miles of yours. On the other hand, if the Boxster has hidden issues then dumping it quickly for your mechanically sound car becomes the better move for him, rather than waiting for a top-dollar cash buyer.

Point being, he might be more savvy than you think.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. Cars don't just turn into cash, you have to find a buyer and the car has to be/stay in proper running condition to bring full value.

To reverse your question, if you had a $9k stack of cash, can you think of any reason why you'd trade someone for their $6k stack of cash?

This is the real concern here, assuming that you're looking at this trade purely for financial gain. The gamble is whether or not the Boxster owner is just ignorant of the loss he'd be taking, or if he's hiding something with the car.
I agree, if it was that easy I'd be a car salesman in a heart beat My post was more of a response to people throwing the idea out the window because of brand loyalty or personal opinion about the car.

The tags, title, license, registration, and insurance are a good point. For me, cheap insurance is easy to come by and VA's registration fees are prerty much nominal. Cali may be a completely different story.

Quick Reply: Stop me from trading my 2000 Z28 Convertible for a 97 Boxster