General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Making the best of a bad situation - Car Storage

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Making the best of a bad situation - Car Storage

Living in BC is great, and I love it, but my Z28 doesn't share the same feelings.
(It rains for 50% of the year, and snows another 25%)

I've had the car parked since mid-November, and have been driving my winter beater for the time being. I have no covered parking, nor do I even have a car cover.

In 'preparation' for winter, all I've done is put the stock wheels on, and put in some fuel stabilizer.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Is a car cover really worth the $$?

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:49 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm kinda torn on car covers personally. You just have to make sure that on days where it isn't raining, snowing or otherwise damp outside to uncover the car and let any trapped moisture in and on the car to escape. Alot of folks, including myself, leave cars covered no matter what and you have to let the paint breathe. Don't forget that you should keep the car washed and waxed as much as possible, too.

Car covers are pretty pricey too, obviously the really good ones are very expensive, but at least those'll last longer and be somewhat resistant to the elements. Keep in mind though that if a heavy rain or snow is coming it's better to just leave the car uncovered...
Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 511 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
I'm kinda torn on car covers personally. You just have to make sure that on days where it isn't raining, snowing or otherwise damp outside to uncover the car and let any trapped moisture in and on the car to escape. Alot of folks, including myself, leave cars covered no matter what and you have to let the paint breathe. Don't forget that you should keep the car washed and waxed as much as possible, too.

Car covers are pretty pricey too, obviously the really good ones are very expensive, but at least those'll last longer and be somewhat resistant to the elements. Keep in mind though that if a heavy rain or snow is coming it's better to just leave the car uncovered...
Good accurate post. I've been very disappointed with even the expensive $300 type covers. Moisture finds a way and then you need to clean up the car to prevent mold, rust, whatever nasty thing that can happen. Then it is aggravating afterwards because you have a wet or moist cover to put back on the clean car. Drives you to drink! Storage outside is just a bear, period. No easy answer if you can't afford a storage bin or garage for the winter. Don't forget to take out the battery and put it on a tender if you won't be driving it at all. The fuel stabilizer was a smart move.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you're serious about storing the car and preserving it from the nasty elements, I would seek out some covered car storage somewhere - whether it be a friends garage, a rented garage, or a storage facility, it's worth it in my opinion. Granted, I was able to use a family members garage for both my car and my bike, where they both sit cozily with their covers on them in a controlled temperature garage.

Anyways, this is exactly why I'm looking into relocating to Arizona in the coming weeks/months... 0" of snow per year, 7" of rain per year, and 95% sunshine - Phoenix, AZ.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 PM

yes, if you really want to keep it clean and in pristine condition during the winter you will need to keep it in a garage. I think covering it alone in a carport .etc is not going to get you great results
Old 01-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Put a storm proof car cover on it

It's better than nothing

Make sure it has straps for the wind
Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use sylicone on the rubber trim and Zaino the car.