General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

coolant looks weird - anyone know why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demonpixel
This sounds more likely to me...I don't think it's ps fluid though since I don't have a ps cooler connected to it. What IS connected to it though is a transmission cooler, on the passenger side.

So if a transmission cooler connected to a radiator breaks or gets busted, could that cause fluid to get into the radiator?
If this car in an auto is the transmission still connected to this radiator? If so you need new radiator. If so look at the transmission fluid before you drive it.

I bought a radiator awhile back from radiator.com, they were in Houston and really cheap, like $100.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gm still uses dex, i wouldnt put the stuff in anything i have, im a mechanic and have seen way too many aluminum headed engines ruined from dex, dex right out of the bottle is on the acidic side, seen dozens of 3.4s and 3.1's with heads and blocks completely corroded away due to dex.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3Camaros
If this car in an auto is the transmission still connected to this radiator? If so you need new radiator. If so look at the transmission fluid before you drive it.

I bought a radiator awhile back from radiator.com, they were in Houston and really cheap, like $100.
Good advice, thanks man! But no, the transmission is not connected to the radiator anymore. I connected it to an external cooler that sits in front of the radiator.

Thanks also for the link. That is insanely cheap for a good radiator; I'll check them out!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Use this Advance auto discount code, get an LT1 or 1998 LS1 radiator. Total price comes to around $60. You just need an old coolant level sensor to plug that hole.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

I'd go with the LT1 Radiator..that's what I have in the Monte.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, took the car for a drive last night for about 15 minutes and the the temp was stable at 180°.

I let it cool overnight and opened the rad cap this morning. Honestly it still looks a little gunky but a lot better than before. Seems to be working fine and the fluid level was the same as last night so I think I'm good for now!

This rad is not stock; the car is a 72 Firebird Formula and that's probably the stock radiator. It's a huge rad.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't use Dex-Cool, it corrodes the heads over time. I know everything on here says use nothing but Dex-Cool, but it's not good. After a very reputable shop told me about this, I've been using the green stuff, and I have no issues.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by demonpixel
Ok, took the car for a drive last night for about 15 minutes and the the temp was stable at 180°.

I let it cool overnight and opened the rad cap this morning. Honestly it still looks a little gunky but a lot better than before. Seems to be working fine and the fluid level was the same as last night so I think I'm good for now!

This rad is not stock; the car is a 72 Firebird Formula and that's probably the stock radiator. It's a huge rad.
Good to know the link helped you out! I had same problem with finding Formula 88, so I used Purple power too lol. I finally took it out for a nice drive out yesterday, its all good now .

Quick Reply: coolant looks weird - anyone know why?