General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

car running like crap after it died

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car running like crap after it died

Ok so after some bad weather i let my car just in the garage and accidently left my radar detector in and after about3-4 days i went out to start it but it was dead, so waited till next day to jump it and it started idiling very high around 2k for couple minutes and felt very strange when driving around but went away, now when I mash the pedal the car starts to cut out but runs fine when driving normal. Car has NEVER gave me any issues, and I have no clue whats up. Took battery out to have it tested and tested good but just low got it recharged and runs a little better but still not the way it did before Could it have messed my tune up or what? trying to sell the car but can't sell it running like this. Let me know what you think. thanks guys

Last edited by wickedlsx; 02-08-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: left out info
Old 02-08-2011, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wickedlsx
Ok so after some bad weather i let my car just in the garage and accidently left my radar detector in and after about3-4 days i went out to start it but it was dead, so waited till next day to jump it and it started idiling very high around 2k for couple minutes and felt very strange when driving around but went away, now when I mash the pedal the car starts to cut out but runs fine when driving normal. Car has NEVER gave me any issues, and I have no clue whats up. Took battery out to have it tested and tested good but just low got it recharged and runs a little better but still not the way it did before Could it have messed my tune up or what? trying to sell the car but can't sell it running like this. Let me know what you think. thanks guys
When the battery runs completely dead the computer has to "relearn" everything.
Supposedly it will clear up after a few cycles.

Your tune is not messed up. It's stored in non-volatile memory meaning it will not change or erase with the absence of an electrical source

I'm sure someone else will come along that can explain it better.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by elwood2
When the battery runs completely dead the computer has to "relearn" everything.

Supposedly it will clear up after a few cycles.

I'm sure someone else will come along that can explain it better.
OK thank you very much, I rarely drive the car and since the snow we got i havent drove it in over a week so don't have much drive time since got it running again
Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude! ... If I lived in an area with an *** load of snowfall, id be the ******* run'n folks off the road in a Suburban, Yukon or a Silverado all frig'n day instead of mess'n around with my F-Body! ... Just say'n!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Dude! ... If I lived in an area with an *** load of snowfall, id be the ******* run'n folks off the road in a Suburban, Yukon or a Silverado all frig'n day instead of mess'n around with my F-Body! ... Just say'n!
haha, me and my buddies do some crazy stuff. get my friends truck, get old tires, and some ropes attach to ball hitch and have him pull us around town on the roads needless to say we get some people giving us the stank eye lol
Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Teching In

like elwood said its going to take a few drive cycles to program the learning portion of the computer , its ussually a hour long 55 mile circuit to do it right by the Gm manuals , but can be accomplished in a few days of normal driving , if you live out in the country some slowing down on the roads with out braking ( take foot off throtttle from 55 and let it coast down to 30 then acellerate back to 55 steadily) is in order , plus some brisk from stop accelerations will help it set the fuel curve .
Old 02-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stimpy
like elwood said its going to take a few drive cycles to program the learning portion of the computer , its ussually a hour long 55 mile circuit to do it right by the Gm manuals , but can be accomplished in a few days of normal driving , if you live out in the country some slowing down on the roads with out braking ( take foot off throtttle from 55 and let it coast down to 30 then acellerate back to 55 steadily) is in order , plus some brisk from stop accelerations will help it set the fuel curve .
ok cool thank you!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

ok so car has been running pretty good till i drove it on a cooler night and it ran like crap again, it runs good when its warm out but not when it gets cold out. getting pretty tired off it doing this. i did what stimpy said and car did run better so have no clue what to do now
Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I may be wrong but I believe the cold night could have something to do with the IAT being cooler. It may take a couple drive cycles through temps like that to resolve the issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

ok so another update, its still running bad but only at night (of course temps are lower) but tonight was first time lately i could wear shorts and t-shirt only so great night but this is the worst its ever ran during the day ran great though. But the main thing is it only does it under full throttle i could give it 99% and it run fine but full throttle is killing it...... so yeah thats where i'm at now
Old 03-11-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

What exactly do you mean by "it's running like crap"? Is it misfiring? Indolent acceleration? Running rich/lean? Is it hesitant on the throttle, or does it skip?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

its misssing like fuel is cutting cut from the motor. no clue if its running lean or rich havent even thought ablut checking that thanks for saying that. and its kinda hesitant on the the throttle

Quick Reply: car running like crap after it died