General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help me decide: springs/shocks or 9" rear....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide: springs/shocks or 9" rear....

i cant decide what to do with my 3K tax return.....i think i would get more out of the springs and shocks since mine are toast at 105K miles and i daily drive it...

But with the power its putting down i cant ever feel it really, since it shreads the tires even through 2nd, a rear would let me put slicks on it at see what it really feels like in first.

I dont go to the track often but i think if i had the rear i would go alot more, but the springs might make a big difference in overall driving ALL the time...

what do you guys think?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if you want an optimal ET get a rear. especially since you have a manual.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Depends on how much you race. If you race often, I would go with the 9". Otherwise, get shocks/springs since you will get more use out of them. This option will leave you extra money that you could save and get the 9" later.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would def. get the rear as well..if you plan on making more power eventually that 10in. is just a ticking time bomb..idc what ppl say about how durable it is..its gonna go..do it while you have the cash!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Teching In

I think, since you don't go to the track ofter, that you should get the springs and shocks. It'll make for a much nicer drive, especially for me. LOL. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE driving your car but all that bumping around can make a girls *** sore some times.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the 9" rear and put Strange or QA1 single adj. on it in the rear while your at it. Replace the v8 springs with v6 springs and you have a good drag rear end that will launch well and get you out of the hole.

Then save a little money for some adj. front shocks and a set of springs.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Springs/shocks gets my vote. You will enjoy them EVERYTIME you get in your car....
Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by arioch
i cant decide what to do with my 3K tax return.....i think i would get more out of the springs and shocks since mine are toast at 105K miles and i daily drive it...

But with the power its putting down i cant ever feel it really, since it shreads the tires even through 2nd, a rear would let me put slicks on it at see what it really feels like in first.

I dont go to the track often but i think if i had the rear i would go alot more, but the springs might make a big difference in overall driving ALL the time...

what do you guys think?
You never really said what you want out of the car with the springs/shocks, but Im assuming you are looking for better ride quality/more solid feel since you said your stock ones are "toast" - which to me means they feel loose, jelloish, and jarring. And FYI unless your stock springs are sagging, they should be fine, they don't wear like shocks do. So what you are feeling is the effect of shitty dampening (the shocks struggle to control the spring so you are boucing/floating, and slamming into bumps).
If thats the case then stay away from dragshocks like QA1s, Afco, Strange etc. etc. as those pretty much feel like what you have now, if not worse. They are made to transfer weight, and for that reason are valved to be overly loose (no matter which setting you go with) very much like worn out shocks act.
What you want for ride quality is a set of sport shocks like Bilstiens or Konis. Good news here is SLP bilstiens will only set you back about $400 and that should leave plenty of money left over for that rear end.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

damm sounds like my girlfriend all that bumping makes her *** sore.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You never really said what you want out of the car with the springs/shocks, but Im assuming you are looking for better ride quality/more solid feel since you said your stock ones are "toast" - which to me means they feel loose, jelloish, and jarring. And FYI unless your stock springs are sagging, they should be fine, they don't wear like shocks do. So what you are feeling is the effect of shitty dampening (the shocks struggle to control the spring so you are boucing/floating, and slamming into bumps).
If thats the case then stay away from dragshocks like QA1s, Afco, Strange etc. etc. as those pretty much feel like what you have now, if not worse. They are made to transfer weight, and for that reason are valved to be overly loose (no matter which setting you go with) very much like worn out shocks act.
What you want for ride quality is a set of sport shocks like Bilstiens or Konis. Good news here is SLP bilstiens will only set you back about $400 and that should leave plenty of money left over for that rear end.

This x2. The only reason I mentioned QA1's or strange is because he was talking about a upgraded rear end, which 9/10 people want because they go to the track. And at the track to get optimum results out of the new rear end strange or Qa1's make the most logical choice.

Now as far as bilsteins and koni's go they are by far the best money can buy for a nice ride and solid handling.