General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need advice on complete build up. LS1 / LS2

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011 | 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on complete build up. LS1 / LS2

Let me start off by saying if this post is in the wrong spot I apologize. Current situation is that I am deployed to Afghanistan and will be back towards the end of the year. While I am here I want to come up with a build plan and begin buying parts so that once I get home the build can begin. I have decided to go with a 98-2002 Trans Am either hardtop or T-Top. Something about the T-top that I just like so thats the reasoning behind that. Now I am debating between running the LS1 engine or using a LS2 stroker motor. I understand that there are many stroker kits that can be purchased for the LS1 but I like the idea of the 6.0L and being around 402ci. As of now I am leaning more towards the LS2 and want to know the level of difficulty in the swap as far as ecu and so forth. I am familiar with the engines fitting about the same in the engine bay and aware of the different timing gears that the two motors use. I also plan on going forced induction because once you have it there is no turing back. I am leaning more towards a STS system with a slightly larger turbo due to the increased displacment. Anyone running an STS system please chime in with input, thought and things that you do and do not like about the system and ways to make it better. I have looked around at superchargers and just not too impressed with options (not saying S/C are no good). That being said I would appreciate input on heads and type and as for cam I am looking for it to be fairly aggressive yet streetable (car will not be a daily driver). Also opinions on springs,valves, lifters and rockers as well as clutch and presssure plate setups. This is going to be a complete build not just pieces so I want to make sure I cover all of the angles. As for the transmission I am looking to go with a 6sp so are there any recommendations towards this as far as strength and options to increase its strength? Next from what I have read the stock drive shaft can handle a fairly large amount of abuse so unless anyone thinks otherwise I will most likely stick with stock unless a good deal comes along. The rear end I am looking at going with a complete Moser 9 bolt since I have read that more people lean towards the 12 bolt with M4 instead of M6? Any thoughts?? For suspension I could use some assistance. I am looking at going with a complete UMI suspension setup (subframe connectors, cross members, drive shaft loop so forth). I understand that I may have missed a few things here and there and thats where I need peoples input to help me see what i may have missed to that i can factor that into the build. All input and advice is appreciated and remeber this is going to be more of a weekend car with track use. I am not incredably concerned with the crap like the clutch isn't like stock, you buy a MUSCLE CAR for power and handling in mind. Thnaks in advance for all input
Old 04-03-2011 | 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow...could be one of the longest info request threads ever, lol! First off, appreciate the service . Spent a few years as an "Army of One" under the the Big Red One...

Sounds like you'd like some decent power and are on the fence of F/I and N/A. I would start with two columns and start taking notes going forward. Pro's, con's, etc. Application specific? Street? Strip? Talk to some reputable builders too on a combo...keep thinking combo throughout the process.....did I mention COMBO!?! Too many builds go sideways due to lack of focus and get distracted with outside influences with internet experts and key board jockies that love to regurge what they've read.

Once you've nailed down your powerplant direction, auto, M6, street, strip stuff will fall in place and then you can build your supporting components...chassis, suspension, rear, etc.
Old 04-03-2011 | 06:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like I have the makings of an OPORD !! I agree with the combo aspect
Old 04-03-2011 | 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...one more thing. When you think you have a direction and budget planned...add 20%, lol.

I started with a 440...ended up with 460 (and everything that goes with it )
Thought S60...ended up with MWC 9.

You get the idea.