General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SOM SS on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Completely WRONG!! The price is not outrageous. You try to find this exact 2k miles car anywhere else (highly unlikely) for under $20,000. It isn't going to happen. Ultra low mileage MINT SHOWROOM examples like this one can command prices even higher and both private sellers and dealers ask in the 30's sometimes. It is worth every penny if you are looking for a basically 'new' F-body.
I understand your points, and in general I agree. Except that these cars have recently entered the basement of their value, during a time where the economy is in the ******* as well. 10-15 years old seems to be when cars are at their lowest value, after that you'll start to see a slow increase if the car is still popular.

All things considered, I think $20k is probably the absolute most anyone would pay for this particular car, at this point. If the car was on an MSO, and/or had 3-digit mileage, mid-20s might be more realistic.

Having said that, I want to make clear that I fully understand where your thought process is coming from, because I often feel the same way. There are many people on this site that buy these cars for ~$5k and think that none of them are worth much more than that. Some of these people just don't understand (or just don't care about) the difference between a 100k mile daily driver and an ultra low mileage show quality car. Some people are looking for cheap speed, and some are looking for a museum piece; these are two very different markets.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SSickLS1SS
mine too!
thanks for the compliment man
I had that pic as my wallpaper not too long ago. Best color IMO. I will be repainting mine to match that one day hopefully.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 507 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I understand your points, and in general I agree. Except that these cars have recently entered the basement of their value, during a time where the economy is in the ******* as well. 10-15 years old seems to be when cars are at their lowest value, after that you'll start to see a slow increase if the car is still popular.

All things considered, I think $20k is probably the absolute most anyone would pay for this particular car, at this point. If the car was on an MSO, and/or had 3-digit mileage, mid-20s might be more realistic.

Having said that, I want to make clear that I fully understand where your thought process is coming from, because I often feel the same way. There are many people on this site that buy these cars for ~$5k and think that none of them are worth much more than that. Some of these people just don't understand (or just don't care about) the difference between a 100k mile daily driver and an ultra low mileage show quality car. Some people are looking for cheap speed, and some are looking for a museum piece; these are two very different markets.
Yes, I know there are many posters on here that don't have a clue and may have never even seen an F-body with under 50,000 miles on it BUT I would be remiss if I let uneducated posts go unabated. Learning is a good thing. I'm heavily into the thought process of the collector car market and this SS is one of those rare ones that isn't a 'collector edition' of some sort. If my T/A died tomorrow, I would be on my way to buy that car at that price. Of course I would shoot for a lower price and I'm sure the seller would take some off. I would love to own it and at that price, even in this economy and bottomed out F-body market. This one is a no-brainer unless falsely advertised. This car will sell for well over $20,000. It just takes a little time to find that certain buyer that will appreciate it.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

/\/\ agreed with both posts
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
I had that pic as my wallpaper not too long ago. Best color IMO. I will be repainting mine to match that one day hopefully.
haha sick dude
Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In for SOM gayness.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

BUT I would be remiss if I let uneducated posts go unabated. Learning is a good thing.
Agreed.

this SS is one of those rare ones that isn't a 'collector edition' of some sort.
I too tend to appreciate the non-special/collector edition cars that are still in show quality condition.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kudos to the low milage but still WAY over priced. ... It's actual value is more like $15,000 (K.B.B.). How much value you wanna add for the SOM paint is up to you but I'm pretty damn sure that paint isn't worth $10,000. .. Just my .02
Old 04-07-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

This car will sell for well over $20,000. It just takes a little time to find that certain buyer that will appreciate it.
Yeah, not many people with 25 G's in the bank are looking to buy a 9 year old F-body.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but it's not a collector car YET. Give it 10 more years and I'd say it would easily be worth $25K if not more.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, nice clean good looking car. Hard to come by a 4th gen with such low mileage.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

There's a local Chevy dealer that always has a few low mileage 4th gens. Most of them are around 10K miles, stock as can be, real clean and priced 22-25K depending on the model and they sell them as fast as they get them in. They had a red '02 WS6 w 6K miles a couple of weeks ago for 24K and it was gone in less than week. They probably didn't get the 25K for it, but they sure as hell didn't sell it for 15K, either. They also had a '01 SOM WS6 w/ 12K on it for 22K last fall and it was gone in 2 weeks...saw some middle-aged guy driving it around right before the snow hit. I think there's more buyers than people think for nice low-mileage $20K 4th gens.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 507 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Kudos to the low milage but still WAY over priced. ... It's actual value is more like $15,000 (K.B.B.). How much value you wanna add for the SOM paint is up to you but I'm pretty damn sure that paint isn't worth $10,000. .. Just my .02
Just for your own future information if you ever are lucky enough to buy or sell one of these ultra low mileage cars in the future, be very aware that there are premiums over retail associated with these sub-10,000 miles cars. What is that price premium? It can be just $3,000 over retail or much more. Every car is different. Throw out the price guide books on these unusual examples. It is not the color that drives the price (even though it could be helpful, or actually hurt). Check out Hemmings and even Autotrader for examples such as these. You will see what real world pricing is (unless you get very lucky) for true one owner, clear title and Carfax, MINT, extremely low mileage, 'showroom' cars.

Originally Posted by FryZ71
There's a local Chevy dealer that always has a few low mileage 4th gens. Most of them are around 10K miles, stock as can be, real clean and priced 22-25K depending on the model and they sell them as fast as they get them in. They had a red '02 WS6 w 6K miles a couple of weeks ago for 24K and it was gone in less than week. They probably didn't get the 25K for it, but they sure as hell didn't sell it for 15K, either. They also had a '01 SOM WS6 w/ 12K on it for 22K last fall and it was gone in 2 weeks...saw some middle-aged guy driving it around right before the snow hit. I think there's more buyers than people think for nice low-mileage $20K 4th gens.
Accurate, perfect example and follow-up of what was earlier stated. Thank you for the back-up!!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, I know there are many posters on here that don't have a clue and may have never even seen an F-body with under 50,000 miles on it BUT I would be remiss if I let uneducated posts go unabated. Learning is a good thing. I'm heavily into the thought process of the collector car market and this SS is one of those rare ones that isn't a 'collector edition' of some sort. If my T/A died tomorrow, I would be on my way to buy that car at that price. Of course I would shoot for a lower price and I'm sure the seller would take some off. I would love to own it and at that price, even in this economy and bottomed out F-body market. This one is a no-brainer unless falsely advertised. This car will sell for well over $20,000. It just takes a little time to find that certain buyer that will appreciate it.
Uneducated? OK. If that's what you want to call it. I call it an 'opinion', and my opinion stands. I would not - let me repeat this for you - would not pay anywhere near $25k for that car. Its not worth it. Im sure most here will agree.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Sunset Orange Metallic paint is pretty pricey.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
Uneducated? OK. If that's what you want to call it. I call it an 'opinion', and my opinion stands. I would not - let me repeat this for you - would not pay anywhere near $25k for that car. Its not worth it. Im sure most here will agree.
There is a small market segment that will pay $20-25k for a car like this. I've seen it. I believe it. NC01TA is correct, there is a differnet price structure for the ultra low mileage collector quality cars. I remember recently seeing an '02 Firehawk that was still on an MSO sell for original MSRP at auction...this was within the last year or two.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody ever said you would buy it, and I would not buy it either. But I know there is other people out there that would buy it, maybe not allot of people but they are out there.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

The thing is people overpay for things all the time, because they feel it is worth it. Look at the Z06's and GT500's when they first came out. People were paying way above sticker price just to be the first ones with the cars. Its really no different with this Camaro, its not for everyone, but there is a small market that is willing to pay top dollar for low millage mint 4th gens. Is that car going to sell in a few days? probable not, but eventually it will find a buyer for around the asking price if he holds out long enough.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

SOM Ftmfw!.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

I don't care if it's 0 miles. Not paying $25K for that! Sounds to me like the owner should have driven it instead....
haha!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

If it's worth it to you because you like the color or whatever and you can afford it, then pay whatever you want to get what you want ... there's no objective measure of what something's worth - only what it's worth to YOU.