General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My car keeps heating up after my volant intake??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car keeps heating up after my volant intake??

my car: 1998 trans am A4

I need someone to clarify a few things for me, a few days ago i installed a volant intake in my T/A and as i was stopped at a stoplight, i saw temp gauge climbing to 210 degrees... When the car is at that temp, the car seems a bit sluggish...

When I start driving, in city and hwy the temp goes down to this or a bit lower ( i have made sure to top off the coolant reservoir with some water for now)

I havent paid much attention to the gauge before, but i installed volant 2 days ago and i started seeing these temps right after... As far as im concerned, with my sleek beak non ram air hood it has no issues, the hood seems to close fine with no extra pressure needing to be input, but i did notice some marks from the hood on the seals:
This is the intake in the engine bay:

Some marks i have noticed:

let me know if anything seems out of ordinary for normal! Or im just being paranoid lol... The car does seem to run much better when the temp is lower than claimed 210 degrees lol.

I appreciate the help!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Those temps seem normal. The '98 temp gage works better than the other years, and shows more movement as coolant temps change. They will reach that 210 mark when moving slow enough, and/or idling for long enough in warm outside temps. But as you can see, once you start moving it cools back down. This is because the stock fan settings are designed to run the engine very hot at idle. You can change this with custom tuning if you wish.

Mine used to behave exactly like yours, then I changed the fan settings and now it's always hovering right around the mark between 160 and 210, no matter how long it sits idling.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Those temps seem normal. The '98 temp gage works better than the other years, and shows more movement as coolant temps change. They will reach that 210 mark when moving slow enough, and/or idling for long enough in warm outside temps. But as you can see, once you start moving it cools back down. This is because the stock fan settings are designed to run the engine very hot at idle. You can change this with custom tuning if you wish.

Mine used to behave exactly like yours, then I changed the fan settings and now it's always hovering right around the mark between 160 and 210, no matter how long it sits idling.
Thank you very much! One answer pretty much answered the whole thread