General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Don't waste time with LM7 and go LQ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Don't waste time with LM7 and go LQ?

Hey guys, I'm sure you have read what I'm about to say only a gazillion times before...

I have read over and over don't waste your time with the Iron 5.3 block and just get the Iron 6.0 block. Problem is... In my area, the word is out on the 6.0 and they are now few and far between, or the seller is asking over $1300 for the engine, when I can get the Iron 5.3 with aluminum heads for $300.

Other than it missing .7 liters of displacement (which apparently can be bored to make 5.7L) is there any reason to avoid this engine? I plan on building and boosting it for about 1000+whp. That being said, should I even bore it at all, or just leave it 5.3L?

Will all LSX stuff swap into the LM7 engine like I believe it will,(intake mani, exhaust flanges, cams, heads, push rods, con rods, trannies, etc.)?

Also, you have to understand, I have been messing around with little 3 liter Nissan engines for a long time. I currently make about 600whp on low boost. SO even going to a 5.3L is a BIG jump for me as it is. So if I can get 600whp out of a 3.0, then getting 1000whp out of a 5.7 should be a walk in the park.

Thanks for the help guys.