General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

cheap budget upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap budget upgrades??

So here's the deal, my house got hit by a tornado this past wednesday and so that puts me on a little bit of a tight budget. Luckily the only thing that happened was the back windsheild is busted and a little body damage (the barn fell on it). so given my budget wich is very very small what kind of upgrades are there? i mean weight or things like a/c delete any body work or any ideas or advice, any things appreciated.
Here's what i've done so far; not much i know haha

pacesetter long tubes
egr/air delete
tb bypass
new exhaust
Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

do a p&p tb and tune if you dont have one, fuel pump upgrade? put a number up for budget so we can get a better ideal as to what your working with.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

when you say p&p the throttle body, i guess you mean a homemade job? how would i go about that exactly, is it tough to do? and as far as budget goes, i have money, i just would perfer not to spend over say 50 dollars on each item. within the next few months i will most likely get a paint job and rims and tires put on along with the minor and obvious flaws the car has, i just more or less need some things to do when i get everything else done, just to improve the car in any way i can.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a sponsor (can't remember the name....like New Era Performance or something) that does it for $75 I think. Otherwise, a search might net you some people who do it on the side for less.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

if i could get it done for 75 or so that'd be great! but what kind of performance gains would i see, any idea?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry to hear about your luck, In in NC and we got hit by some not too far from where Im at, but glad to hear your not hurt or anything. And when you say new exhaust what do you mean? If you still have the factory catback you could get a cutout, there cheap and would provide good gains over the factory catback. The next thing you should really get although its over $50 is an intake. Allowing the car the breath with a nice intake/exhaust setup is key and will provide a good foundation for any future mods
Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 AM
10 Second Club

i got my tb done buy a sponsor on here, was 176 shipped but you get 50 back when you return yours. but i also got mine painted,p&p,epoxy mod,bumpstop,half shaft'd. heres some pics of mine from (trans am 408)
oh and i also got the coolant bypass kit but his base special is 149 shipped then 50 dollar core refund makes it 99 bucks
Old 05-03-2011, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a bunch of stuff you can do for cheap. You can tint your tailights and side marker lights for better appearance. They sell it at any auto parts store for like $12 a can.. It's called VHT nightshades. You can also paint your wheels. I bought duplicolor wheel paint from the parts store and painted my factory wheels a graphite/gunmetal color. Free mods, looks like you have a few done already. Remove the spare tire, jack, a/c (if you want) for weight savings. You could remove the door moldings for a cleaner look, just make sure to buff underneath. Sometimes even a basic tune up can give you a little better performance. Seafoam the car, change the plugs and gap them, new plug wires, fuel filter etc.

I can probably think of more in a while.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

starz- my new exhaust is currently 2.5 in straight pipes but i will be putting mufflers on soon (dynomax bullets possibly)
badss- did you notice any difference in power or anything? sounds like you got it done well and cheap!
zrsnpro97- do you think a a/c delete would be worth it? i have t-tops so that would help here in these approaching summer months
Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be up to you if you want to keep a/c or not. You probably won't notice any difference by getting rid of it, but little things can add up. If you removed the whole system- all the lines, compressor, etc it would save a little weight and definitely clean up the engine bay. I removed the whole a/c system on my last two cars (fox mustang and a talon) and made it through summer months no problem. I like driving with the windows down anyway. I did it to clean up the engine compartment and make it a little easier to work on.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

yeah i can feel the difference, faster throttle response, climbs rpms a lil faster. looks way better then the stocker did. you could by a dremel and polish yours up if ya wanted too..
Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

did you mention if you have a lid?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

zrsnopro- sounds like to me a a/c delete would be smart, more engine room, looks cleaner, and not a big deal with the windows down, what's not to like?
badss- i think it's probably worth it to get it p&p then. the only other option is, what if i just went with a new throttle body all together?
ultimateorange- you'll have to forgive me but when you say lid are you talking about a cold air intake? if so, no. (sorry i'm bad with lingo)
Old 05-03-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

an aftermarket lid that replaces your stock one.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCEQ9QEwAA
Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Homeowners insurance covered the damage to my truck after a storm. As far as mods on the cheap. A SLP lid, ported TB, and a manual exhaust cutout right after the y-pipe. Oh a dont forget the "free mods"... TB coolant bypass, cutting the tray below the air cleaner open for more airflow.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
an aftermarket lid that replaces your stock one.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCEQ9QEwAA
He has a LT1 so it would be some kind of CAI, and I would think twice about the AC delete I bought a car without AC and you don't realize how much you like it until its gone. Especially during the summer, but a lot depends on where you live. Im in NC so the summer months are hot and humid so its nice having AC
Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
He has a LT1 so it would be some kind of CAI, and I would think twice about the AC delete I bought a car without AC and you don't realize how much you like it until its gone. Especially during the summer, but a lot depends on where you live. Im in NC so the summer months are hot and humid so its nice having AC

are you sure he has an lt1?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
are you sure he has an lt1?
I guess he has a '95 Z28 (from another thread of his)....so some of our recommendations don't quite matter anymore....
Old 05-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

yeah it's a lt1 (95 z28). yeah the summer months would be kind of rough without a/c but if i was going to take it out would ya'll think i would just get a shorter belt or a/c delete pulley? and i think (not sure though) that i will be able to use some of the insurance money for the car. a lot of my concern though is looks. i will hopefully be getting her painted black soon with 15x10 rear and 4x10 front weld racing prostars soon. so that will be where most of my money will be going. also i've got torn seats (not sure wether to get them reupholstered seat covers or racing seats yet) and my upper dash is gone along with a caliper and other minor things. once i get the apperance down comes the fun part. engine wise i plan to put a rebuild kit on it(it has 200k miles) with dome pistons, a bigger cam, p&p the heads, a CAI, and other minor things such as a 4:11. definetly looking forward too it!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 PM

if you wanna keep creature comforts but still have fun with horsepower, you may want to save a few bucks and look at an underdrive pulley system from March Performance.