General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My experience with open Long tube headers on an ls1

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My experience with open Long tube headers on an ls1

The reason im making this thread is because lately i have seen some threads popping up on how the car would run with open LT headers.. so i thought i would share

So lately i have decided to modify my 98 trans am. Its an automatic with 2.73 gears, nothing special with descent pick up from the factory...

Anyway, im on a budget so ive decided to keep it simple. LT headers, Catted Y, stock catback with cutout, and a 3400 stall converter with 3.73 in the future. I have personally never done this before so i wanted to experiment a bit

So far i have Volant intake, ptb, and open cutout. Good start.

This sunday, my long tube headers have arrived and me and a couple of friends decided to install them, but since welding was required to install my cats, and Y pipe to the catback, i have decided to keep open headers with no O2 sensors (reason for no front O2's is because i have to order my extentions)... So I ended up driving my car back with just open headers home for about 25 miles

And let me tell this, for the ones who want to run their car with just open headers... dont! For the following reasons:

First: its terribly loud even on an ls1 with stock camshaft even at idle, loud enough to set off some car alarms. Under WOT, its waaaaaay louder. Example: As i was driving on the interstate, i see a rider on the Harley with loud pipes, as i goosed my car a little next to him he literally flinched... yes im a douchebag for doing this
When i was driving on the highway, the drone was pretty intense... enough to make coins in my cupholder jingle lol.

Second: Your car will not feel faster... but rather noticeably slower. Its all noise and no go, which makes sense since there is absolutely no backpressure

Third: If you drive past a cop, you will get pulled over and since i was driving late at night, i have not encountered any, thank god.

In conclusion, my car idles fine, but just unuseable on the street with no performance gains.

Later this week i will complete my exhaust set up as well as a stall following by a nice dyno tune, once i get my funds together.

Well, that was just my opinion, if you still wanna do it, noone is stopping you.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
Second: Your car will not feel faster... but rather noticeably slower. Its all noise and no go, which makes sense since there is absolutely no backpressure

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...ts-wrong-3064/
http://my.prostreetonline.com/forums...php?t-1639.htm
http://mechdb.com/index.php/Exhaust_back_pressure_myth
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/freq...kpressure.html
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=28945
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...sure-myth.html
http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...k-for-n-a.html (the long post about half way down the page)
http://www.miata.net/garage/KnowYourCar/S4_Back.html

Last edited by nissan 570sx; 05-23-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

^ ...op your car felt slow may be due to wrong AF ratio AND loudness! i drove mine with open headers and i agree with u totally unusable lol
Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow LOL!!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

thx lol
Old 05-23-2011, 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by black_phoenix

Where is it that some people have gotten this crazy idea that backpressure makes power?

If you are down on power it's because you don't have front O2s yet, or any sort of tuning for the headers.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Back-pressure does create torque, or a more torquey feeling powerband. Anyone who has changed exhaust can feel the power-band move up.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the o2's hooked up and drive it again. You'll get your answer.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Had to run mine to the shop with open headers, not a very fun ride
Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It's more noise throwing off perception than anything.

I can open my cutouts and swear the car is running like crap, but up until a week ago when I removed the tail pipes over the axle (made the car extremely quiet) it would pick up a tenth and a half and over 1 mph at the track.

But yeah anyone running open headers on a street car is a moron. And anyone running nothing but pipe with no muffler or resonator has no tastes and must just like being loud for no reason.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

sooo, whats the perfect combo?

Lt's, ory, catback?
Lt's, highflow cat, catback?
or some other combo?

Sorry, but i get way too many conflicting stories
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ss-pics-9.html
this guy uses open headers for the track, & a sweet setup an runs low 11's
Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car went from stock with loudmouth to ms4 4400 stall and open headers for a weekend, felt slower. All the noise was throwing kymy perception off, it was still moving good.

Lts xpipe 1 chambers is my personal opinion.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Back-pressure does create torque, or a more torquey feeling powerband. Anyone who has changed exhaust can feel the power-band move up.
bingo...

back pressure means your engine has to work harder to expel the exhaust gasses, thus making your car FEEL faster because it is working harder. ever wonder why your exhaust sounds mildly different under a large load than free revving at idle?

when i installed headers, and ran them open up and down the road a few times just for ***** and grins...i noticed i had lost low end TQ, but gained a bunch of power up top. that is just the characteristics of the exhaust being moved faster due to no back pressure, your engine can breathe more at higher RPM's.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i retract my backpressure statement then
Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
definitely possible
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
^^This...my car seems slower to me with my cutout uncapped, but runs faster at the track.
I agree with the OP. I ran open headers to get my y-pipe welded up and it was rediculous.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heh. I too ran open headers to the welding shop...awful experience. A tuned exhaust sounds so much better...
Old 05-23-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Front O2's control the fuel ratios so if you didn't have those in that would be the main reason it ran like crap. People unplug the back ones because those just control the CEL light to make sure the cats are working, but you HAVE to have the front ones hooked up for it to run decent
Old 05-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Originally Posted by bww3588
bingo...

back pressure means your engine has to work harder to expel the exhaust gasses, thus making your car FEEL faster because it is working harder. ever wonder why your exhaust sounds mildly different under a large load than free revving at idle?

when i installed headers, and ran them open up and down the road a few times just for ***** and grins...i noticed i had lost low end TQ, but gained a bunch of power up top. that is just the characteristics of the exhaust being moved faster due to no back pressure, your engine can breathe more at higher RPM's.
No. Back pressure is not what causes an increase in torque, the increase in exhaust velocity is what increases the torque. Back pressure is simply a byproduct of running smaller pipes, which is one of the methods of increasing exhaust velocity but it is NOT for the reason for the increase in torque.

If you really wanted to see evidence, bolt a plate on a set of header collectors with a 1.5" or so hole in it. You'll get a ton of back pressure from doing that but your exhaust velocity and flow are going to be killed and you're going to lose a bunch of horsepower.

back pressure = bad
Old 05-24-2011, 01:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by nissan 570sx
the increase in exhaust velocity is what increases the torque.

Quick Reply: My experience with open Long tube headers on an ls1